TV Home Forum

UTV to launch channel in Republic of Ireland

Channel to launch in 2015 (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando
Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but I always understood that TV3's deal with ITV included The X Factor and numerous other programmes not produced by ITV Studios. Maybe ITV Studios Global Entertainment have the rights to sell X Factor UK to any other country, as the commissioning company?

No their exec Mark Redmond confirmed it BGT and The Cube were not part of the ITV deal.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Cando posted:
Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but I always understood that TV3's deal with ITV included The X Factor and numerous other programmes not produced by ITV Studios. Maybe ITV Studios Global Entertainment have the rights to sell X Factor UK to any other country, as the commissioning company?

No their exec Mark Redmond confirmed it BGT and The Cube were not part of the ITV deal.

They certainly were at one stage because there was a simulcast deal when ITV sold its stake in TV3. I wonder if it changed around the time that X Factor stopped having Dublin auditions and stopped providing Irish voting numbers.
JA
JAS84
But the current X factor only runs until 2014 does it not?
It's fate is decided on a year by year basis.
JO
Jon
JAS84 posted:

And whilst it's still doing well, it'll keep being coming back.
CA
Cando
JAS84 posted:

No the last ITV deal was for 3 years of both X and BGT. Broadcast reported last week that ITV were close to renewing both for another 3 year run.
:-(
A former member
If that is the case UTV could UTV get the rights to both aswell

21 days later

CA
Cando
TV3 Renews Exclusive Rights to Air 'The X Factor' and 'Britain’s Got Talent' to Start of 2016

TV3 has announced that it has successfully renewed the exclusive rights to continue airing FremantleMedia productions including ‘The X Factor’ and ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ to the start of 2016 – with the option to renew to the end of that year. In addition, TV3 confirmed it has secured the rights to ‘Downton Abbey’ for the life of the series.

The announcement follows the news that UTV’s new Republic of Ireland channel, set to air in 2015, has negotiated broadcasting rights to some of TV3’s most popular ITV imports including ‘Coronation Street’ and ‘Emmerdale’.

Other FremantleMedia programmes covered by the TV3 deal - which lasts until at least the start of 2016 - includes ‘Family Fortunes’, ‘Take Me Out’, ‘X Factor US’, ‘American Idol’, ‘America’s Got Talent’ and a new series of ‘Through the Keyhole’

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4286673&tpl=archnews&force=1
JO
Jon
That makes things very interesting.
Last edited by Jon on 30 November 2013 1:24am
IS
Inspector Sands
What will be useful for TV3 is the amount of plugging that the Cowell talent shows get on other ITV programmes. If the new UTV channel shows This Morning they'll essentially give their rival long, free promos virtually every morning
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
That makes things very interesting.

I'm not so sure. It just makes the possibility of a UTV takeover of TV3 much more likely.

Newer posts