TV Home Forum

UTV to launch channel in Republic of Ireland

Channel to launch in 2015 (November 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Rather surprising move - assumed ITV were fairly committed to TV3.
ED
edmund
To be honest I can't see the channel getting a licence...

Is there even a remote possibility that the BAI wouldn't grant them a license to broadcast? I don't see how that could be possible in an open society.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets onto Saorview, though. It appears to be a closed platform reserved for the PSBs (excluding 3e?). AIUI, Ireland is far more reliant on cable and satellite than the UK, so they could just ignore it.

I don't see why it would be granted a licence. 3e is considered a PSB and that's how it managed to get on Saorview and 105 on Sky. What's to stop numerous PSB channels from setting up if a minimum one hour of home produced news is the requirement. I can see the application being rejected. Not the end of the world for UTV , there is nothing stopping them from broadcasting the regular UTV on Sky and UPC in Ireland now that they have the rights of TV3's ITV imports.
JO
Jon
Rather surprising move - assumed ITV were fairly committed to TV3.

It's only surprising because no one was expecting it to happen quite this way. ITV have might have been committed to to TV3, but they're wouldn't turn down a massively increased offer from a more financially secure company.
JO
Jon

What's to stop numerous PSB channels from setting up if a minimum one hour of home produced news is the requirement.

Money and the fact they don't have Corrie and Emmerdale, so less public expectation, which would surely pay a big part and the fact they're creating a 100 jobs.
I can see the application being rejected. Not the end of the world for UTV , there is nothing stopping them from broadcasting the regular UTV on Sky and UPC in Ireland now that they have the rights of TV3's ITV imports.

Well presumably UTV Ireland will launch on Sky and cable regardless of whether it's gets a ROI licence from the off, it could be registered with Ofcom?

If TV3 does manage to stick it out, I can imagine them taking more content from America and Australia as well as stuff like Big Brother.
Last edited by Jon on 6 November 2013 7:29pm - 3 times in total
JO
Jon
This is how TV3 were reporting the news, the representative of TV3 trying to put a positive spin on it. Saying the content was overpriced and only accounted for about 20% of all viewing, which still sounds quite a lot to me.
http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?video_id=71440&locID=1.2.883

Of course, they could take imported soaps from RTE such as EastEnders and Neighbours to have help fill the void.
CO
Colm
UTV Ireland gets the lead story on tonight's UTV Live - naturally taking a positive spin, also factoring the potential impact on TV3; however, not reflecting the cutbacks at Havelock House down the years which BBC Newsline were keen to point out.

While jobs may be created in the South when the channel launches, how much cross-platform content will there be from UTV Radio's RoI-based stations? Will it in any way reflect the same situation with UTV and U105?

In all, I'm hopeful at the prospect of UTV Ireland - especially if its promises on a news service offers strong competition for RTÉ and TV3.
CI
cityprod
Looking at the current TV3 and 3e schedule, there is quite a lot of ITV content. Emmerdale, Coronation Street, All Star Family Fortunes, Paul O'Grady For The Love Of Dogs, Jeremy Kyle, The Chase, The Cube, X Factor, Xtra Factor, Your Face Sounds Familiar, Downton Abbey. It's quite a hole that has to be filled. There's lots of potential material out there, but they must move quickly in order to replace the shows now, before they have to.
JO
Jon
Looking at the current TV3 and 3e schedule, there is quite a lot of ITV content. Emmerdale, Coronation Street, All Star Family Fortunes, Paul O'Grady For The Love Of Dogs, Jeremy Kyle, The Chase, The Cube, X Factor, Xtra Factor, Your Face Sounds Familiar, Downton Abbey. It's quite a hole that has to be filled. There's lots of potential material out there, but they must move quickly in order to replace the shows now, before they have to.

Not all of those shows are ITV Studios programming though, although you'd still expect UTV to pick up the rights to a lot of it.
Last edited by Jon on 6 November 2013 8:51pm
CI
cityprod
Jon posted:

Not all of those shows are ITV Studios programming though, although you'd still expect UTV to pick up the rights to a lot og it.

But all of it has been aired by UTV in Northern Ireland, and to be blunt honest, it would be very unexpected if UTV didn't pick up the non-ITV studios programming for UTV Ireland.
BR
Brekkie
Some will depend on contracts of course - although I doubt many are in lengthy deals contracts agreed with TV3 already for beyond 2015 will remain in place I'd have thought.

Could TV3 get away with just replacing 3e with TV3+1, keeping the channel slot but reducing the cost and merging the content. Indeed there could be the argument it might be more profitable for them to ditch TV3 and focus on 3e as a lower budget youth orientated channel, though whether that would be a sensible business model without the bigger parent station I don't know.
RD
rdd Founding member
To be honest I can't see the channel getting a licence...

Is there even a remote possibility that the BAI wouldn't grant them a license to broadcast? I don't see how that could be possible in an open society.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets onto Saorview, though. It appears to be a closed platform reserved for the PSBs (excluding 3e?). AIUI, Ireland is far more reliant on cable and satellite than the UK, so they could just ignore it.

I don't see why it would be granted a licence. 3e is considered a PSB and that's how it managed to get on Saorview and 105 on Sky..

It will get a content contract from the BAI, I've no doubt. Firstly the Minister for Communications (Pat Rabbite) appears to be very much behind it, going so far to appear at the launch today. Secondly Channel 6 managed to get one on a diet of almost exclusively US (not even European) content, virtually its only Irish shows being links between pop videos. Thirdly, and most importantly, there's no reason not to give it one.

Whether it will get on Saorview is another question entirely, and not at all a certainty but I'd say it will as long as it is willing to pay 2RN's rate card, particularly if it can prove itself to have any sort of PSB content. It will almost certainly get carriage replacing UTV on UPC.

Indeed nobody appears to have realised yet that it is very likely to replace UTV on UPC - it would mean the end of access to ITV's news and sports programming, as well as much of the ITV schedule not made by ITV itself, for viewers on cable in Ireland after nearly forty years of being able to watch ITV in one form or another.
BR
Brekkie
I was going to raise the possibility yesterday of TV3 producing their own soap to fill the gap left by Emmerdale and Corrie, but then thought that was a stupid idea they could never afford.

Seems though the idea was already on the table for a twice weekly soap with 16 expressions of interests already received. Wouldn't be too surprised to see that bumped up to more, or maybe two commissioned instead, in the wake of the departure of Corrie and Emmerdale.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a529433/hollyoaks-producers-pitch-ideas-for-new-tv3-soap.html

Newer posts