Mass Media & Technology

Xbox One

Change channels with your voice (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Asa Admin
Announced earlier tonight and one of the videos shows off them quickly switching between TV, game and browser using voice activation. All quite nice. Apparently there is a HDMI In socket so the satellite/cable can pass through the Xbox with its own interface. Wonder how that will work in practice as I thought there were restrictions on a signal going through like that? And I assume there won't actually be any way for the box to tell the Sky/Virgin box how to change channel?
BA
bilky asko
Asa posted:
Announced earlier tonight and one of the videos shows off them quickly switching between TV, game and browser using voice activation. All quite nice. Apparently there is a HDMI In socket so the satellite/cable can pass through the Xbox with its own interface. Wonder how that will work in practice as I thought there were restrictions on a signal going through like that? And I assume there won't actually be any way for the box to tell the Sky/Virgin box how to change channel?

I presumed when watching the launch video that it was going to be some form of CEC (branded as various names such as Anynet+, SimpLink, VIERA Link, etc.) where usually you can control more than one device with just one remote - it appears it uses a combination of CEC and an infrared transmitter. So you'll be able to change channels, change the volume on your surround sound, and flick between games and TV. As long as you use the right voice commands of course. And it can understand your accent. And it can decipher your voice from the other noise in the room.
WP
WillPS
They could provide an RF connection to take advantage of MagicEye.
BA
bilky asko
They could provide an RF connection to take advantage of MagicEye.

Well the infrared transmitter should cover that.

162 days later

OS
omar's shotgun
I love how the new add makes a point of showcasing the talk function with different accents. No need to do a poor imitation of an american to get the job done.
AJ
AJ
I've got mine pre-ordered. Not sure how it will integrate with UK PVRs and services at the moment though - details about that are very scarce. I've asked one of the Xbox guys responsible for the dash what Sky's plans are for apps and integrations - something is on the way, but they can't say anything yet.

As far as I've heard and read, the Kinect Sensor has an IR blaster included - so you basically speak the command (Xbox go to TV, Xbox Volume Up etc) and the IR blaster will work its magic. In theory, anyway.

This video doesn't really show how the TV features work, but it does show how the voice commands and UI work.

Edit: incidentally, I was fortunate enough to have a go on one on Friday last week in Shoreditch. Didn't see much of the UI as it was all about the games at the event I went to, but what I did see of it was fast and worked as above.

Newer posts