The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
mdtauk
Bail posted:
For anyone who's missed it there are some superb images of NBH on the eternal dreams site that so wonderfully documented TVC.

http://www.eternaldreams.co.uk/bbc-broadcasting-house

And people say the new Wind Waker HD remake has too much bloom lighting Very Happy
VM
VMPhil
Yeah those photos have way too much HDR for my liking.
CI
cityprod
Yeah those photos have way too much HDR for my liking.

What do you ,mean by too much HDR?
NG
noggin Founding member
A lot of the pictures appear to have been taken using HDR (High Dynamic Range) techniques. This usually involves taking a number of pictures at different exposures, and merging them. It means you get details in both shadows and highlights that wouldn't normally be present in a single photo, but it can look quite odd if done in a big way. Some people like the result, others don't.
VM
VMPhil
A lot of the pictures appear to have been taken using HDR (High Dynamic Range) techniques. This usually involves taking a number of pictures at different exposures, and merging them. It means you get details in both shadows and highlights that wouldn't normally be present in a single photo, but it can look quite odd if done in a big way. Some people like the result, others don't.

I don't mind it being used in moderation, but to me it can almost look like CGI if overdone.
CI
cityprod

I see what you mean now.

Yeah some look good, others almost have a ghostly, almost ethereal look. It works in some cases, but in the Studio E shot, the slightly ghostly, ethereal look doesn't really play well in the setting, and really seems to be somewhat jarring.
TW
tweedledum

Isnt that the same thing as a "panoramic image"?
BA
Bail Moderator
No, although I see why you might think that. Panoramic is where a series of images taken from one point, but looking in different directions are stitched together to create a wide or even 360 view of an area. HDR means taking multiple photos of the same scene at differing exposure levels to ensure no detail in the high or low light areas is under or over exposed.

Newer posts