The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News and others from across the pond

(May 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SN
The SNT Three
Cando posted:
House posted:
. I don't think anyone can suggest the Lauer-Guthrie-Morales-Roker team is likely to be a winner any time soon.

But at the same time issue the 'team' has isn't uniquely Matt Lauer. Matt - love him or hate him - is probably a more dominant figure now than ever before because Al Roker is, ultimately a support player, and neither of the women - Guthrie or Morales - have large enough personalities or onscreen egos to rival him. Vieira and Couric both kept Lauer in his place more by appearing smart, strong (no offence intended) older women by his side. Guthrie, on the other hand, still acts like the dorky younger sister, and Morales always seems to struggle to find her place in the team. Ann Curry might not have had the right personality to sit next to Lauer as co-host, but she was a more prominent member of a well-oiled team that had better overall chemistry when she was news anchor to Lauer, Vieira and Couric, compared to Morales with Lauer and Guthrie.

And then again if Matt does go, I can't see how NBC lose Guthrie or Morales without having to completely rebuild the show - again.

I agree on all this, I think Hoda Kotb would have been a better replacement for Ann. I am not in favour of them using MSNBC as their recruiting ground for Today, in particular I think Willie Geist isn't right for their target audience either.
I hope they abandon the GMA style opening with all the presenters behind the desk as it just doesn't work when there is little chemistry between the hosts and when your news reader is as charisma free as Morales.

Ultimately, as badly as they dealt with her departure, I think Ann Curry becoming co-anchor was a downfall. I agree Hoda Kotb would have been a good choice - journalistic credentials (like Ann Curry although not to the same extent), and a personality (like Meredith). Savannah is fine, but nothing special. They could build a better rapport witt their audience if they didn't have such a variety of anchors & newsreaders though. Matt and Savannah alongside Natalie and Al do the first two hours, then Matt and Savannah disappear and Natalie and Al are joined by Willie Geist and often a 'celebrity' co-host, then for the fourth hour it's Kathie Lee and Hoda. Add into the mix a multitude of substitutes and weekend anchors, and you never know who is coming or going....

Meanwhile, Good Morning America and certainly CBS This Morning tend to be more fixed. Admittedly, they are only two hours long, but it is very rare for CBS to use any substitutes at all, excepting Anthony Mason who is the Saturday co-anchor. If Norah O'Donnell or Gayle King are off, they stick to just two co-anchors which works just fine. It kind of shows that a 'newsreader' role is a bit obsolete, really, and that two people can easily carry 2, 3 or more hours....

CBS have also shown that the traditional 'comedic' weatherman role is increasingly obsolete too. They provide only local weather forecasts, and don't seem to be losing viewers for this reason. They never had a weekday weatherman, although they did keep one on Saturdays who has since been scrapped too.
NY
NYTV
Cando posted:
House posted:
. I don't think anyone can suggest the Lauer-Guthrie-Morales-Roker team is likely to be a winner any time soon.

But at the same time issue the 'team' has isn't uniquely Matt Lauer. Matt - love him or hate him - is probably a more dominant figure now than ever before because Al Roker is, ultimately a support player, and neither of the women - Guthrie or Morales - have large enough personalities or onscreen egos to rival him. Vieira and Couric both kept Lauer in his place more by appearing smart, strong (no offence intended) older women by his side. Guthrie, on the other hand, still acts like the dorky younger sister, and Morales always seems to struggle to find her place in the team. Ann Curry might not have had the right personality to sit next to Lauer as co-host, but she was a more prominent member of a well-oiled team that had better overall chemistry when she was news anchor to Lauer, Vieira and Couric, compared to Morales with Lauer and Guthrie.

And then again if Matt does go, I can't see how NBC lose Guthrie or Morales without having to completely rebuild the show - again.

I agree on all this, I think Hoda Kotb would have been a better replacement for Ann. I am not in favour of them using MSNBC as their recruiting ground for Today, in particular I think Willie Geist isn't right for their target audience either.
I hope they abandon the GMA style opening with all the presenters behind the desk as it just doesn't work when there is little chemistry between the hosts and when your news reader is as charisma free as Morales.

Ultimately, as badly as they dealt with her departure, I think Ann Curry becoming co-anchor was a downfall. I agree Hoda Kotb would have been a good choice - journalistic credentials (like Ann Curry although not to the same extent), and a personality (like Meredith). Savannah is fine, but nothing special. They could build a better rapport witt their audience if they didn't have such a variety of anchors & newsreaders though. Matt and Savannah alongside Natalie and Al do the first two hours, then Matt and Savannah disappear and Natalie and Al are joined by Willie Geist and often a 'celebrity' co-host, then for the fourth hour it's Kathie Lee and Hoda. Add into the mix a multitude of substitutes and weekend anchors, and you never know who is coming or going....

Meanwhile, Good Morning America and certainly CBS This Morning tend to be more fixed. Admittedly, they are only two hours long, but it is very rare for CBS to use any substitutes at all, excepting Anthony Mason who is the Saturday co-anchor. If Norah O'Donnell or Gayle King are off, they stick to just two co-anchors which works just fine. It kind of shows that a 'newsreader' role is a bit obsolete, really, and that two people can easily carry 2, 3 or more hours....

CBS have also shown that the traditional 'comedic' weatherman role is increasingly obsolete too. They provide only local weather forecasts, and don't seem to be losing viewers for this reason. They never had a weekday weatherman, although they did keep one on Saturdays who has since been scrapped too.

During the final year of The Early Show during the transition to CBS This Morning , they did have Marysol Castro as a weathercaster but soon dropped her and the weekend weatherman was Lonnie Quinn who is the lead weatherman on New York's WCBS-TV. Soon after Quinn was removed from CTM, CBS had a rotation of guest weathercasters from various stations until finally dropping them altogether. Whenever CTM did a weather related story, they would use either Quinn, or David Bernard who worked at WFOR Miami (he has switched to another station)
VI
Viakenny
It's interesting that recently they had Carson Daly (former host MTV's TRL and currently a talk show/radio host) doing weekend editions and also filling in for Matt on weekdays at least once.

He currently also hosts the (very) late night talk show Last Call with Carson Daly (airing weeknights at 1:35am ET) and the US version of The Voice .
CH
Charles
It's interesting that recently they had Carson Daly (former host MTV's TRL and currently a talk show/radio host) doing weekend editions and also filling in for Matt on weekdays at least once.

He currently also hosts the (very) late night talk show Last Call with Carson Daly (airing weeknights at 1:35am ET) and the US version of The Voice .

I actually really like his show. It started out as a traditional late night U.S. talk show with a house band and an audience, and it was terrible. He just wasn't funny enough to carry a show like that, but after a while, they ditched the studio for a documentary style talk show with him very candidly interviewing guests in a bar or a restaurant, along with a live music performance or two from an up and coming band. It's a great show. I'm not so sure whether he's right for hosting Today though.

24 days later

NY
NYTV
It seems the planned Today show rebrand was pushed back to September 16th. A source at NBC provided NewscastStudio with a preview, while NBC typically gives affiliates notice whn there is a graphics change to overlay the local news ticker.
Here is a preview of the graphics, which resembles Seven Network's Sunrise. Seven and NBC are content partners.
http://www.newscaststudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-06-at-4.19.25-PM.png

The original story seen here:
http://www.newscaststudio.com/2013/09/06/first-look-at-new-today-graphics-package/

and the updated story of the rebrand being pushed back:
http://www.newscaststudio.com/2013/09/09/today-new-set-delayed/
WE
WaneyEdge
Some pictures of the set have been released by NBC. It looks very dated to me http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/streams/2013/September/130912/8C8960492-130912_Orange_Room_02.blocks_desktop_large.jpg http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/streams/2013/September/130912/8C8959949-130912_Orange_Room_06.blocks_desktop_large.jpg http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/streams/2013/September/130912/8C8960941-130912_Orange_Room_07.blocks_desktop_large.jpg http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/streams/2013/September/130912/8C8960940-130912_Orange_Room_01.blocks_desktop_large.jpg
CA
Cando
I see they've added Carson Daly to the show too. Because the show really needed another charisma free presenter Rolling Eyes The set looks 'meh' to me
MW
Mike W
That is vile.

CBS This Morning still winning to me...
SN
The SNT Three
Cando posted:
I see they've added Carson Daly to the show too. Because the show really needed another charisma free presenter Rolling Eyes The set looks 'meh' to me

I think he's just an occasional fill-in. If you mean the guy in the left hand of the photo, that's Willie Geist, he hosts the 9am hour with Natalie Morales and Al Roker.

EDIT: Sorry, missed this!

The set is definitely a bit meh though. Strikes me as something Breakfast Time/Breakfast would have used in the 80s and 90s...
Last edited by The SNT Three on 12 September 2013 11:01pm
DK
DanielK
That is vile.

CBS This Morning still winning to me...

I like the look of the main anchor area so far, the curved storage things look very BBC NBH. The Orange Room doesn't look that bad.

Cando posted:

I think he's just an occasional fill-in. If you mean the guy in the left hand of the photo, that's Willie Geist, he hosts the 9am hour with Natalie Morales and Al Roker.

The set is definitely a bit meh though. Strikes me as something Breakfast Time/Breakfast would have used in the 80s and 90s...

The one on one interview area look like a Today memorabilia type thing, like CBS This Morning have. The anchor area seems to be going for the whole serious news/ABC Election Center look. Orange room doesn't look bad, and hopefully upstairs gets rejigged the minute Sunday's programme is off air!
DT
DTV
It's amazing how that's all one set despite the fact that each image there is of a different style and in some cases different era of set. It makes no sense, but then again British and American News Sets have very few parallels.
CA
Cando
Cando posted:

I think he's just an occasional fill-in. If you mean the guy in the left hand of the photo, that's Willie Geist, he hosts the 9am

They added Carson today as the host of the ''Orange room'' His late night show is ending.

Quote:
Carson Daly is joining the “Today” show as the host of what NBC calls a first-of-its-kind digital studio, dubbed the Orange Room.
As for the Orange Room, NBC says it will bridge the show’s TV and digital platforms and “offer audiences the chance to communicate and connect with the show unlike ever before .”

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/carson-daly-joins-today-show_b196374

Cough.. the hub......... Oh Deborah Wink

Newer posts