The Newsroom

Al Jazeera English & Al Jazeera America

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
Charles
AJE, AJAM and AJA all have distinctly different graphics now, I don't know if a unified look is a priority for them.

There's certainly a big advantage in AJE, Balkans and America to have the same 'look' as they simulcast, just look at the mishmash in the screengrab posted earlier. There was a plan to have new graphics (see page 73), as I say I reckon AJAM have got them first and the others will catch up

If AJAM's look is supposed to be rolled out to the other AJ networks, I hope it isn't. The idents and opens are nice, but the lower thirds look really blocky and out of place. They use bright yellow as the accent color in them, white and orange for the live bug and locator, and bright teal for a lot of the other stuff. It doesn't look right to me.

Whenever those rumors of AJE getting a refresh came out, I always anticipated it. Now, I hope AJE doesn't change their look, or if they do, I hope they don't go too far. The orange, light blue, and the globe pattern all look really sharp even after almost seven years. The looks that CNN, the BBC, and others had seven years ago probably couldn't have held up as well as AJE's has.

As for the simulcasts, I'm still amazed that they still haven't done anything about them. I know the lower thirds must be generated separately, as they're never orange, and they don't have that white outline of AJE's bug that sticks out. If they're being generated separately, you'd think they could figure out a design that would match AJAM's look or just run with AJE's bug and ticker.

They also need to work on opt-outs. Oftentimes, AJAM will crash into the headlines and start Inside Story. They don't make simulcasts look nice the way the BBC and CNN do.
TM
tmorgan96

They also need to work on opt-outs. Oftentimes, AJAM will crash into the headlines and start Inside Story. They don't make simulcasts look nice the way the BBC and CNN do.

AJE has a similar problem. Just this morning there was the situation where the TOTH ident was played out, and then the Newshour started... half way through the first headline summary ( just before the swirling AJ logo lands in Doha).
BA
bakamann
Interesting colour schemes by Al Jazeera America...

Did they styled this on AJE's orange coloured lower-third graphic?
IS
Inspector Sands

AJE has a similar problem. Just this morning there was the situation where the TOTH ident was played out, and then the Newshour started... half way through the first headline summary ( just before the swirling AJ logo lands in Doha).

That's not to do with an opt out, that's just a studio timing mess up at AJE. Their bulletins are all clock start and all finish at a fixed time, a hang over from the days when they originated from 4 centres. Therefore the opt outs from AJB and AJAM should be fairly straight forward, once they get used to the video delay between Doha and New York that is!
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 30 August 2013 10:14pm
CH
Charles
The breaking news color is orange. The normal L3s are yellow and black text. The live bug and locator are always orange though.
BA
bakamann
Al Jazeera America is still devoting their time for Pres. Obama's Syria speech, while Al Jazeera English already moved on to another story.

For me, AJAM's anchor desk looks good with more than one person in it, I hope they consider having a two-person news bulletin...

Also, I'm confused with Shuster... I thought he is going to be an anchor or correspondent, but it seems he acts like an analyst at the moment.
KM
Kevizz MS
Al Jazeera Arabic news update:

And an extended 16:9 clip of Al Jazeera America (!):

BA
bakamann
It seems Al Jazeera America decided to remove their DOG and ticker during Al Jazeera English simulcasts. Why not just simulcast with Al Jazeera English, but with only the Al Jazeera DOG (no ticker)? It looks so empty without the Al Jazeera logo.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, they are just getting lazy again.
CH
Charles
Now that I'm out of the US for a few months, would anyone be willing to share a stream of AJAM? I'm still really interested in how the channel is running.
KM
Kevizz MS
Hoorah, more videos:

Arabic ToTH:

American ToTH
IS
Inspector Sands
It sounds odd that the first thing the newsreader says is her name, especially when her surname is Carey and the top story is about John Kerry! It's an American convention o suppose but I hope that AJAM aren't pandering to those too much
WH
whoiam989
Great. Do any of you have Arabic TOTH from this era?

Newer posts