The Newsroom

Sky News: State of Emergency

24 Hours Live from A&E (September 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Sky News are doing a live broadcast from a Nottingham A&E department tonight. This has been covered in the Sky News thread but it's a bit lost in there so I thought I'd just alert everyone. Not sure when it started, why it's not listed in the EPG or when it ends.

Kay Burley is presenting right now and Tom Parmenter has gone out in an Ambulance with a camera crew.

Not a totally original idea: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015bfty
Last edited by Jon on 8 September 2013 1:04am
FO
fodg09
It's certainly an interesting watch - although I wonder if the 'State of Emergency' branding is catching some people off guard.
BA
bilky asko
I think this to a certain extent is nabbing the idea from ITV's similar non-rolling hospital coverage, but it does certainly make for a rather interesting watch.

It's certainly an interesting watch - although I wonder if the 'State of Emergency' branding is catching some people off guard.

Yes, I think such a pun would catch certain people out on a first glance - the pun isn't good enough to justify that as the title in any case.
DA
David
Jon posted:
Not sure when it started, why it's not listed in the EPG or when it ends.

It started at 17:00 but Burley just said that they are "live until 6PM" so that makes it 25 hours. The 17:00 - 17:30 programme was listed in the EPG but its a pretty poor effort not listing the overnight coverage on the EPG at all. When was the last time we saw the Sky News Centre? Has the person on the 00:00-06:00 shift been seen at all?
JO
Jon
David posted:
When was the last time we saw the Sky News Centre?

Think it was the 23:30 press preview.
ST
Stedixon
What is this doing on a news channel though? Surely things like this should be on Sky One?
MD
mdtauk
What is this doing on a news channel though? Surely things like this should be on Sky One?

It's Sky News, why the tone of surprise... Razz
SW
Steve Williams

Saw a couple of people making that same point on Twitter - and it was in the EPG with no other context (indeed, "information is not available"). I don't think it's very intelligent branding at all, certainly looking at how prominent it is on the graphics.
BR
Brekkie
It's interesting they've opted to do this over the weekend rather than in the week, when most special themed days on any news channel take place. Kinds of make sense though - the weekend is always much quieter when it comes to rolling news.
MD
mdtauk
It's interesting they've opted to do this over the weekend rather than in the week, when most special themed days on any news channel take place. Kinds of make sense though - the weekend is always much quieter when it comes to rolling news.

Friday and Saturday night can often be the busiest nights, which is probably why they picked it, hoping for something dramatic with "people drama"
LL
London Lite Founding member
David posted:
Has the person on the 00:00-06:00 shift been seen at all?

Lukwesa Burak was on camera at 0200 and 0224 to 0228 with a shortened bulletin. I didn't stay up longer to check.
BA
bilky asko
David posted:
Has the person on the 00:00-06:00 shift been seen at all?

Lukwesa Burak was on camera at 0200 and 0224 to 0228 with a shortened bulletin. I didn't stay up longer to check.

Yes - as soon as Kay Burley left, the presenter in the studio started popping up more.

Newer posts