The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters & Rotas

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
AdamABC
DrewF posted:
I thought the BBC News presenters are selected at random the days beforehand. :S

Yep - they stick their names in a hat and they get what they get. Sometimes Huw Edwards ends up on the early slot with Carrie Gracie and Ellie Crisell does the Ten O'Clock News.

Actually, drafting in some network presenters to appear regularly on the NC wouldn't be a bad idea... Sophie, Sian, Kate, Fiona, George and Huw would all be good at presenting rolling coverage!
CI
cityprod
DrewF posted:
I thought the BBC News presenters are selected at random the days beforehand. :S

Yep - they stick their names in a hat and they get what they get. Sometimes Huw Edwards ends up on the early slot with Carrie Gracie and Ellie Crisell does the Ten O'Clock News.

Actually, drafting in some network presenters to appear regularly on the NC wouldn't be a bad idea... Sophie, Sian, Kate, Fiona, George and Huw would all be good at presenting rolling coverage!

If memory serves, Sophie Raworth did afternoons for a while along with hosting the One. Sian is ex-BBC News 24, so could probably fit right back in if necessary, and Kate Silverton has done some News Channel shifts before. George has BBC World News duties, so would be difficult to fit in to the News Channel, and Huw as we all know does the Five regularly on the News Channel. Fiona Burce is the only one I don't ever recall doing a News 24/News Channel shift ever, other than the simulcast bulletins.
CH
chris
DrewF posted:

If memory serves, Sophie Raworth did afternoons for a while along with hosting the One. Sian is ex-BBC News 24, so could probably fit right back in if necessary, and Kate Silverton has done some News Channel shifts before. George has BBC World News duties, so would be difficult to fit in to the News Channel, and Huw as we all know does the Five regularly on the News Channel. Fiona Burce is the only one I don't ever recall doing a News 24/News Channel shift ever, other than the simulcast bulletins.

Sophie Raworth presented maybe three or four afternoons? She was far from regular. Kate Silverton on the other hand had a permanent morning slot with Philip Hayton (less said about that the better) and then Simon McCoy.
OF
oflahertya
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1499274/BBCs-Kate-baffled-after-news-partner-walks-out.html
AA
AdamABC
chris posted:
DrewF posted:

Sophie Raworth presented maybe three or four afternoons? She was far from regular. Kate Silverton on the other hand had a permanent morning slot with Philip Hayton (less said about that the better) and then Simon McCoy.

If I remember correctly, Mishal Hussain also did the 2-5pm slot with Jane Hill before, this was some time ago, and I think it might have been simulcast on World.
OF
oflahertya
They did when colonel gaddafi was killed
JW
JamesWorldNews
Mishal Husain anchoring GMT live from Cairo today.
FL
flaziola
Mishal Husain anchoring GMT live from Cairo today.

Also lead a simulcast between the 6 and BBC World News
JW
JamesWorldNews
World: Alice Baxter is still on-air now at 6pm, having started with the 5am TWT slot this morning with Naga Munchetty. Both are back tomorrow at 5am as well.

Naga also did GMT today.

Alice is, at this moment, doing WN instead of Lucy Hockings, who's filling-in for Mishal Husain, who's been deployed to Cairo, as noted above.

I wonder why Lyse Doucet or Ben Brown weren't deployed to Cairo, as would normally be the case.

And, Katya Adler coming up with World News Today shortly.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 15 August 2013 6:50pm
AA
AdamABC
World: Alice Baxter is still on-air now at 6pm, having started with the 5am TWT slot this morning with Naga Munchetty. Both are back tomorrow at 5am as well.

Naga also did GMT today.

Alice is, at this moment, doing WN instead of Lucy Hockings, who's filling-in for Mishal Husain, who's been deployed to Cairo, as noted above.

I wonder why Lyse Doucet or Ben Brown weren't deployed to Cairo, as would normally be the case.

Ben Brown hasn't appeared on the BBC News Channel this week, so it must be his week off, hence him not being deployed to Cairo. In regards to Mishal Husain doing it, she is better known to viewers in the UK than Lyse is, and is well known on world, so it's a win win situation.
BB
bbcnewsfixboy

Naga also did GMT today.

Ben Brown hasn't appeared on the BBC News Channel this week, so it must be his week off, hence him not being deployed to Cairo. In regards to Mishal Husain doing it, she is better known to viewers in the UK than Lyse is, and is well known on world, so it's a win win situation.

Did Mishal Husain feature on the BBC News Channel for the BBC News at Nine O'Clock? She was on the Ten, but when was the last time we saw her on the BBC News Channel tonight?
SW
Sam Walker
Did Mishal Husain feature on the BBC News Channel for the BBC News at Nine O'Clock? She was on the Ten, but when was the last time we saw her on the BBC News Channel tonight?
I don't think she did. I watched the first half-hour of the Nine O'Clock News and they chatted to someone over webcam.

Newer posts