TV Home Forum

How was the coming of UK Colour Tv promoted at the time?

(August 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WE
Westy2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrtYYvdMq4

Seeing this clip set me thinking.

Did any other region/transmitter promote it's new colour service to this extent at the time?
WP
WillPS
Well every station added the huge legend "IN COLOUR" or "COLOUR" to their idents. Pretty sure the CA's made a point of it when appropriate too.
WE
Westy2
Well every station added the huge legend "IN COLOUR" or "COLOUR" to their idents. Pretty sure the CA's made a point of it when appropriate too.

Ok, yes, but it seems strange that there is only one piece of footage like that floating around & nothing else.

If ATV managed to keep something(which is a surprise for ATV admittedly!) like that, I'm surprised nothing similar has popped up, in various anniversary shows?

The only other thing that springs to mind is that trail of the first colour Monday on BBC 1(that exists in black & white!)

I suppose what I'm getting is, bearing in mind most sets would still be in black & white, never mind the regions/transmitters, did they 'overkill' on the colour promotion, or not, so not to alienate the black & white viewers?

(Wonder if Tony Currie is looking in?)
:-(
A former member
what I found strange is that promo is a year after colour tv come in to operation, Many other areas went to colour like STV in 1969.
SD
sda|
There's a very short clip floating somewhere online of a BBC2 promo animation with 'Colour My World' playing.
RO
robertclark125
Surely they would've run trailers on BBC2 prior to that historic first day, 1st July 1967, to promote the Wimbledon Tennis championships in colour?
RJ
RJG
In terms of BBC 1 a number of programmes were broadcast as colour test transmissions from Crystal Palace only, IIRC. One of them was "Dad's Army". In those days the continuity was generally national, so viewers across the UK were told that the next programme would be available in colour in the London area on channel 26. Because of the regional nature of ITV any colour promotion was only done in a short period before colour was introduced in that region. Even then many regional programmes remained black-and-white only even after the UHF service was introduced. Border TV's first colour transmissions from Caldbeck officially started on 1st September 1971, the station's 10th birthday. But, although the local studios had colour telecine equipment, the cameras at Carlisle were monochrome. Lookaround and other local studio programmes were monochrome until July 1973. That, incidentally, is why the first UK-wide transmissions of "Mr and Mrs" with Derek Batey were recorded in Newcastle and billed as a "Tyne-Tees/Border Colour Co-Production".

BTW, Grampian started UHF transmissions in early September 1971 but all programmes, including network ones, were still black-and-white until Grampian celebrated its tenth birthday at the end of the month.

Colour was "pushed" in the sense that sports commentators would say, for instance, if you're watching in colour Manchester City are in the blue shirts. But continuity announcers, even into the 80s, were more likely to flag up non-colour programmes. As on Border one time....."and now our afternoon film "Red River", which was made in black-and-white".
Last edited by RJG on 11 August 2013 4:50pm
MA
Markymark
what I found strange is that promo is a year after colour tv come in to operation, Many other areas went to colour like STV in 1969.

BBC 1 and ITV colour only actually came to six transmitters in 1969:

Nov 15th 1969

Crystal Palace (Ths/LWT)
Sutton Coldfied (ATV)
Winter Hill (Granada)
Emley (YTV)

Mid to late Dec 69

Black Hill (STV)
Rowridge (Southern)

BBC 2 roll out had started in 1964, and BBC 2 colour from May 67, but by about 1972
BBC1 and ITV had caught up, and after that date new UHF stations carried BBC1/2 and ITV
together from the outset

OK, the six sites represnted about 35-40% of the UK population, but
it took until the mid 70s for all other main transmitters to be built or adapted for UHF/625/Colour
and the last of the 1154 relay stations wasn't opened until 1998 !
ST
Stuart
Weren't ATV making quite a lot of colour productions from the mid-60s onwards, through their international arm ITC?
NG
noggin Founding member
Weren't ATV making quite a lot of colour productions from the mid-60s onwards, through their international arm ITC?

Yep - they were mainly shot on 35mm film and made in colour for the US market, and shown in B&W in the UK until colour outlets were available.

ISTR that ATV may also have had a 525 NTSC/625 PAL switchable operation at one point in at least one of their studios?
MA
Markymark

Yep - they were mainly shot on 35mm film and made in colour for the US market, and shown in B&W in the UK until colour outlets were available.

ISTR that ATV may also have had a 525 NTSC/625 PAL switchable operation at one point in at least one of their studios?

They certainly had 525NTSC and 405/BW (possibly later 625PAL?) cameras working side by side at Elstree in the mid 60s.
NG
noggin Founding member

They certainly had 525NTSC and 405/BW (possibly later 625PAL?) cameras working side by side at Elstree in the mid 60s.

Yes - I can't remember if they had switchable cameras (as I believe Telegenic did in an OB truck that got huge amounts of US work) or ran in parallel.

Newer posts