TV Home Forum

Daybreak relaunch with Lorraine and Aled

From 6am Monday (August 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
GMc
I think ITV need to realise they are never going to get big ratings at Breakfast time now. BBC Breakfast is streets ahead in terms of viewing figures, and I can't see that changing. If ITV are putting more money into Daybreak than they're getting out, it should go. I would think about having Lorraine start at 8am, with daytime repeats filling the 6am and 7am slots, or even moving the early morning soap repeats over from ITV2.
TW
tweedledum
Another question, has anyone heard any news on the Breakfast TV license being scrapped??
NE
neilly

I don't know, I think a poor NI Journalist came up with Aled Jones 'Walking OFF the air' and wanted to make a story around it to be honest!

I tend to agree with Mike W it's probably a made up story as you'll always have to treat these stories with a pinch of salt. Some journalist probably saw the ratings for yesterday and made up that storyline. It's really a non-story because I would be extremely surprised if ITV executives were not constantly reviewing Daybreak's performance on a monthly basis. Daybreak's viewing figures for Tuesday were 500,000 with an 800,000 peak compared with Breakfast's 1.5 million average. But, that's to be expected at this time of year. What's not been reported is that both Daybreak's audience share and reach is up compared to the same week last year (when the Olympics were on).

Without speculating there might be minor changes come September regarding the set, titles and graphics or small tweaks to the format but nothing major as I've outlined before. Also, it's been really refreshing to see Helen front the main show and 'Lorraine' again this week.
BA
bazinga
Well, they have done quite well tbh, V1 and V2 they were constantly changing. The way the studio looked, the format and. Tweaking the graphics. V3 is the best out of all of them IMO. In a year they haven't changed presenters or the look of the set. And the format has stayed very much very similar with a few tweaks. Even if they never launched daybreak and kept with GMTV. I. Think they would have ended up in the same boat. They would have had to relaunch GMTV at least once in the time Daybreak has been on air? I don't see what's to wrong with daybreak atm, hopefully when Septmeber comes they won't change anything regarding the set, or maybe a slight tweek to the format similar to when it last relaunched. I. Can see why David kermode was fired, the problem with DBV1 is that people expected too much from it and I. Believe it was caused by over advertising, and then the relaunch in September was under advertised and people never knew what was happening. IMO.
JA
jamesrl
Lets hope for once, the press are telling the truth. Would be great to see Eamonn and Ben back on the sofa:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eamonn-holmes-wanted-daybreak-chiefs-2122219

With regards to Lorraine and Eamonn working together, when Lorraine did the 'Piers Morgan: Life Stories' interview last year, she was asked if the reason she was replaced by Anthea Turner all those years ago was because the rumours were true that Eamonn did not like working with her - something that she said she was unsure of but did not deny.
BS
Ben Shatliff
Lets hope for once, the press are telling the truth. Would be great to see Eamonn and Ben back on the sofa:

With regards to Lorraine and Eamonn working together, when Lorraine did the 'Piers Morgan: Life Stories' interview last year, she was asked if the reason she was replaced by Anthea Turner all those years ago was because the rumours were true that Eamonn did not like working with her - something that she said she was unsure of but did not deny.

I would be happy to see Eamonn back as long as he and Ruth still do This Morning on a Friday as they do a good job with that programme; unsure about Ben Shepherd though.

Maybe Eamonn and Matt could share that role and let Matt and John share the Daybreak Newshour with Ranvir.

As stated previously from what I see of Daybreak and I do record it as well, I think it is good and they should leave it as it is rather than make changes.

But why are people against Aled? Nothing wrong with him.
CI
cityprod
The thing is the more they "relaunch" Daybreak, the more desperate they seem for viewers to notice them, and the harder it is for viewers to watch the show. Visually, the show doesn't look too bad, although I don't know why the News segments aren't from the ITV News studio, which would be a little more consistent, although slightly changed maybe to reflect Daybreak. Other than that, I wouldn't want to change it too much.
JA
jamesrl

I would be happy to see Eamonn back as long as he and Ruth still do This Morning on a Friday as they do a good job with that programme; unsure about Ben Shepherd though.

Maybe Eamonn and Matt could share that role and let Matt and John share the Daybreak Newshour with Ranvir.

As stated previously from what I see of Daybreak and I do record it as well, I think it is good and they should leave it as it is rather than make changes.

But why are people against Aled? Nothing wrong with him.

I'm not against Aled, I think he does a good job and has good chemistry with Lorraine. Eamonn is the king of breakfast TV though and I think the show would do well to get him on board. Maybe Aled should be considered to share the role with Eamonn?
CA
Cando

Unlikely given he is in contract with Sky until 2015 and why would anybody want Ben back Confused
CF
CatsFast101
I'm not sure how much truth is in this article. I can't believe that before all the change in lineups they didn't approach Eamonn, especially considering this current version is very GMTV esque, studio, Newshour, Lorraine etc. So I think a proposition to Eamonn would have happened then. Not to mention I think he's settled at Sky, he gets good rating it's stable and you can't put it past daybreak to have axed him or the show altogether within the year!
TV
TV Dan
Be great to see Eamon back where he belongs, I find it uncomfortable to watch Aled, he has an awkward face - one for radio IMO.
WE
Westy2
What is stopping ITV axing Daybreak full stop? Is there some sort of contract?

It ain't as if ITV hasn't yanked stuff mid run before.

Something is obviously not working & keep changing presenters & formats isn't helping.

Is it cheaper to run a Channel 4 style schedule, with different shows & maybe a news bulletin or 2, then 'Lorraine' or not?

I'd miss Laura personally, but surely she'd go to the main ITV Weather team?

Newer posts