The Gallery

BBC Scotland News/Sport studio

A STUDIO MOCK YAY (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
So, it's been a while, and since last year I've been working on and off on a studio mock for BBC Scotland. It started way back before we'd seen anything from Broadcasting House, and was designed to fit into the same space that the current set fits in, but to also be more appropriate for Sport and Newsnight - Mike W even kindly modified some of his newsroom backdrop mocks to put in a Glasgow Skyline (which are sort of in the old render below), and then I never published the mock! The original isn't that great, upon review, and looked something like:

(The blue part was a section of screens, but I set them all to blue because I hadn't read up on how to use the software properly at the time and was getting upset by weird texture positions)

It's badly lit and doesn't look very convincing, but it did, at least, just about fit in the space.

After this, the mock died a death, until earlier this month, when the Review Show started coming from the atrium at Pacific Quay, which meant that half of Studio C was now empty, so in theory, BBC Scotland could use the full space of the studio to create a much nicer studio space for all of the BBC News and Sport output in Scotland. The mock does take some creative license as this would be an expensive set to create, so let's say that News and Sport put a big investment behind a new, multi-purpose studio. And so, I present a micro-version of Studio B at Broadcasting House. But first some dimensions:

Studio C is 180m squared, which I took to be 10m x 18m, which is pretty big. But then, we've been told there is a large lane running from one side of the studio to the other, so our usable space goes down. I've also included a lane around the edge of the sets, because it's been said that you need one for fire regulations, although N6 never had one, so I cannot be sure if one is needed. Either way, there's about a 1m gap around the edge of all the sets. From here, I went and created the studios, which I show, in rendered form, in set-ups for Reporting Scotland, Newsnight Scotland, Sportscene and Sunday Politics Scotland. So, here we go:

Reporting Scotland

And we start with the left hand side of the studio:

This left hand side clearly takes cues from Studio B in London, and features some form of screen (be it rear-projected or LED), which is split into 5 square segments. The display on the screen is cheekily pinched from Martin's BBC World News recreation (should have asked, Martin - sorry!), and does make it look a bit dull and generic, so I'll try and find something better to replace it with. Below and above it is a colour-changing strip, with the grey bars we see in London in Studio C curving around the display too (the grey bars substituting the wrap-around coloured strip in London, as there has to be some limit on cost!) The desk set-up is very simple. and is pretty much an identical copy of the one in London, with some chairs around the edge. I don't think the lighting is perfect, but I think it's getting there. There's no additional panelling like that used for Marr in London, as it would stretch into the access lane. I would assume such a thing would be a lightweight construction and easily moved out of the way after programmes, behind the screens, so I might add one in later.

And then we have the right-hand side of the studio, with four (opposed to three in London) screens (let's say rear projected), a small rostrum with a height-adjustable desk (I did say it was a micro Studio B), and then two 103 inch televisions to form our micro-newswall. Mike W's fantastic backdrop is finally seen here, and fits in a treat and looks great. As you can see, those colour changing strips are everywhere, and there's enough space for a camera to be able to fit behind the rostrum. Lovely. I'm not quite sure whether to replace the height adjustable desk with the one they use in London and Wales, so I'll probably experiment there.

Newsnight Scotland

Next we have Newsnight, lit up in dark blues and purples, and looking rather dark and lovely, especially when compared to what they use currently. The bars have changed, the screens have changed and the coloured in-set in the small desk on the left-hand set has changed. I've also 'turned off' some of the lights to make it a bit darker.

Sunday Politics Scotland

After that it's Sunday Politics Scotland, and I'm pretty pleased with how this has came out. The backdrop is a bit dodgy, as it comes from when Sunday Politics used some graphics which saw text and a Party logo appear on-top of the backdrop, which panned all the way across. I've attempted to stitch it all together (the result being a bit dodgy in some places), and I've used the 'Clone stamp' tool in Photoshop to get rid of all the text (there are a fair few more clouds in there as a result!), and I think it does the job. The desk is an awkward one, and doesn't have any rivets on it, but I intend on trying to put them on, and putting a bit more light on the desk in general - when I update the mock I'll change that.

Sportscene

Then, finally, BBC Sport Scotland's production. I've thrown together backdrop to go on the screens, taking the hexagons from Final Score (which are, in turn, from Blockbusters, but it's likely to be replaced by something better (I did try to create something from caps of the titles for Sportscene, but it looked terrible). Again, I'm undecided on the colours (I think they contrast too much), so they're open to change.

And there we have it. That's about it for now, although I will be tweaking and updating things - any comments welcome (constructive or abusive). Thanks for reading through all of that!
DT
DTV
This is really nice, I really like the design of the Studio and could see a new set looking like this - BBC Scotland probably has a larger budget than BBC Wales and there set looked expensive. Like Studio B this set is very multipurpose.

Only two criticisms one would be height - do we know how high Studio C is as I'm assuming its not the same height as most regions. It just looks very compact height wise.
The other not really important but the chairs. I have an .skp file of the Sunday Politics Chairs if you'dd like me to PM them to me let me know.

Overall I'd give it 4.5/5.
BA
bazinga
I really like the studio recreation I have seen here , it's like a mini version of studio b , the only thing I would say is , would it really fit into the space they have? Surprised

Great mock 4-5

Are they getting a new set anytime soon? Confused
MW
Mike W
Totally forgot about those backdrops! Glad to see the final product, I've given this a 4/5 - It's good but I think it needs something else in there somewhere...
CR
Critique
Thank you all for your comments so far - they're better than I expected! The more I look at the original mock the more I see just a lot of empty, wasted space - I purposely didn't put the walkway they have in London in on the left-side set because I thought it wouldn't make sense to have, but I might test it out to see how it looks. I'll also put in a 'lightweight' set piece that you could use for performances and the like, similar to the Andrew Marr show - it would go over, into the lane, but it could be easily moved behind a screen when not in use. There are a few kinks I've noticed with the render, which I'll aim to rectify, also.

DTV, I honestly have no idea about the height of C, and the set is that tall due to a force of habit of making low height sets - it'd probably create some breathing room if I heightened it up, so I'll look into it. The chairs are from the SketchUp warehouse, and they're not the right ones as it is, so I'll look to sort something out.

Bazinga, it should fit into the space, as long as my measurements aren't too far out (I'm not that bad at Maths!), although it does look like a massive space, but that's because it seems quite underused!
DO
dosxuk
DTV, I honestly have no idea about the height of C, and the set is that tall due to a force of habit of making low height sets - it'd probably create some breathing room if I heightened it up, so I'll look into it.

I know you're talking about Glasgow (so this won't be of direct use, but may be helpful) but I have rough measurements for the studios at NBH as follows (W x L x H):
A, C - 15m x 11m x 4.45m
B - 23m x 15m x 7.45m
D - 13.5m x 11m x 4.45m
E - 15m x 11m x 3.25m
SR
SomeRandomStuff
I think these designs are still too big for Studio C at Pacific Quay... especially when you take into account the doors being in the middle, and that whopping great concrete pillar.

If they do get a new set, my money is on them just using plasma screens like Wales Today as they obviously would take up less space than the projection cubes they have currently, but that all depends on budget.

Otherwise the design and quality is excellent. 4/5
CR
Critique
I think these designs are still too big for Studio C at Pacific Quay... especially when you take into account the doors being in the middle, and that whopping great concrete pillar.

Ah, that's new information, to me, at least! I had no idea about the doors, or the concrete pillar - but if the doors are on the long side (the 18m one), they *should* line up nicely with the gap between the two sides of the set - if they're on the short side everything's ruined. Razz I've been thinking about what to do if it turns out it's all to big, and my solution was to take away the newswall, and rotate the left side set more so it's looking more straight ahead to the far wall, and less diagonally to the corner - you'd gain about 2m back from the 10 in the 10x18 by removing the newswall, and it'd vary depending on how much you rotate the left set.

A, C - 15m x 11m x 4.45m
B - 23m x 15m x 7.45m
D - 13.5m x 11m x 4.45m
E - 15m x 11m x 3.25m

This is very interesting - thanks dosxuk! Both sets are about 2m50 in height at the moment, which looks to be a lot lower than they could be - I think I've been a bit too conservative when it comes to vertical height - any standing up 'people' in this mock are scaled down to be short, in order to not look oversized when looking at the set around them. Bearing the heights of E, A, C and D in mind, it looks like I can heighten the set a fair bit - E has quite a low ceiling, from what I can tell, but not as low as I've been putting mine!
NJ
news junkie
Im sure there are two sets of doors at either end of the left hand side, the one next to the gallery faces the current rep scot set and the other is directly opposite and comes from the back of the studio from the weather office.

In other news, I found this floor plan on Flickr that may or may not be of use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoroughlygood/8000247278/
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8000247278_039be39bf4_z.jpg
RO
rob Founding member
Very impressive. 5/5

65 days later

CR
Critique
It's been a while since I've updated this, but I am still working on it - I've completely rebuilt it to fix some glaring errors, used more accurate dimensions and worked out some kinks in the render, so I should have more on this soon.

In the meantime, I've also been looking, with a bit more creative license, at BBC Arabic. It's broadcast from a studio inside it's newsroom, but isn't big enough (only being an office height studio) to be transformed into something like Studio E - so I've created a sort of hybrid. Now, as I said, this probably uses a fair bit more creative license than BBC Scotland's studios did, because the dimensions are more vague and what I've done involves quite a few changes to the layout of the newsroom.

Primarily, I've made the studio slightly smaller by changing it's shape from a rectangle with one side shorter than it's opposite so one of the other sides has to move diagonally to meet it, to an irregular pentagon. After doing this, I also added in some more walls (although these would most likely be fake stud walls or something), and a fair few screens for set dressing - a fair amount of newsroom is sectioned off (and probably some space lost) by adding this fake wall in, so I've taken the opportunity to move the gallery forward a bit so it can be seen on screen in the new set-up, with the newsroom extending into that space to make up for it - it's slight better explained in the diagram below.

The black space is the newsroom, the red the studio space, and the blue the space in the new studio that is behind the fake wall, split into the gallery and more newsroom space (the current gallery position isn't shown.)

At the moment we're looking at darker, moodier night-time shots (which would reflect the time in London, like BBC World News) - this is achieved with the blue lighting BBC News use from 10pm in the main newsroom. The newsroom space is quite small, but looks bigger than it really is in images, with space for around 16 journalists. Some areas are still a bit rough (like the gallery which currently has screens with the same face on for the most part), and there are some bare walls in places.

Any feedback on these images appreciated (please tell me if it's rubbish and give me 1* if so and I'll leave it and stick with the BBC Scotland studio!) - it's a long shot in terms of space (although I have eventually figured out the size and shape of the newsroom the BBC Arabic is attached to, so it should all fit in, even if it is a bit adventurous.
DT
DTV
Are you sure you don't work for BDA?

This is something that I can see BBC Arabic using, I think it's fairly accurate in size and looks amazing. But there is room for improvement.
- Tiny thing, of course you could of rebranded BBC Arabic to fit in to this mock, but there is an absense of Gold which is BBC Arabic's main colour along with red.
- Also there is a little bar that goes along the red thing outside Studio E.
- And you don't have to but could you not put something on the black wall on the right hand side.

As it is I'd give it 4 Stars and I'd like to see you continue to work on the BBC Scotland Studio and I think it would be nice if you worked on the other two BBC Arabic Presentation Areas - The Summary Studio and the Programme Studio which is here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartpinfold/5016568881/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartpinfold/5016539905/
I'd also like to see you work on other things such as BBC Newsline (which is a similar size to BBC Scotland) and some of the English Regions. If you like I can PM the dimensions of BBC South Today's Studio.

Newer posts