The Long Firm
The Mayor of Casterbridge
The Ruby in the Smoke
The Shadow in the North
The Sinking of the Laconia
Tipping the Velvet
To Be the Best
Wish Me Luck

I wish i'd kept my mouth shut now. What are they showing? Last of the Summer Wine of course! (which according to their website it's a "drama favourite"). Birds of a Feather has a very small portion of drama to it though. I've also found out that Blighty has disappeared from the main UKTV website. The listings for July only go up to 1st July. Is it closing?
LL
Larry the Loafer
Bring Me Morecambe and Wise? Really?
JA
JAS84
Check out the UKTV website, and look at the channel logos. Drama's has replaced Blighty's! So it isn't just the listings. Looks like Blighty is closing, and we can assume it will happen on July 1st if the listings stop there.
BA
bilky asko
JAS84 posted:
Check out the UKTV website, and look at the channel logos. Drama's has replaced Blighty's! So it isn't just the listings. Looks like Blighty is closing, and we can assume it will happen on July 1st if the listings stop there.

Somebody has already taken the liberty of saying that the channel will close on 8th July on Blighty's Wikipedia page. I'm sure a few members on here had predicted its demise months ago.
ST
Stuart
JAS84 posted:
Looks like Blighty is closing, and we can assume it will happen on July 1st if the listings stop there.

The listings continue until at least 4 July on their website
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Last day on air is the 5th.
CW
cwathen Founding member
The last time UKTV aired it was just before UKTV Drama became Alibi.

The last time classic series were aired (to my knowledge) was over the Easter weekend 2010 on the Sci-Fi Channel (just before it became SyFy). BBC Four occasionally aired them just before that.

UKTV Gold stopped airing them in 2007.

I probably watched it in 2007 then. I never saw it on UKTV Drama.

It only aired in January and February 2007, then once in March and once in April:
http://whogold.blogspot.com/2010/07/uk-gold-air-dates-1992-2007.html

It was definitely after the new series had bedded in, and it was definitely on UKTV Gold. I only watched it once, so it wouldn't have needed to be regular.

Classic Doctor Who was a regular fixture of UK Gold for years - although it was almost exclusively confined to a continuous loop of Pertwee through to McCoy - once 'Survival' aired it looped back around to 'Spearhead from Space' and the whole thing started again. It used to air early on a sunday morning in an omnibus format where a whole story was aired at once presented as one continuous programme. There were no special end credits made, just the ones from the final part were aired which meant many actors didn't get credited. Although they didn't air the Hartnell/Troughton episodes through not wanting B&W they did leave in the numerous Pertwee episodes which were made in colour but now only exist in B&W.

Considering 6/7 parters were commonplace in the Pertwee / Tom Baker eras and there were all the ad breaks to slot in sometimes it was on air for over 3 hours at a time, which was just a bit much to watch all at once!
WE
Westy2
Uk Gold did show the Hartnell/Troughtons that still existed, but not at the same frequency as Pertwee onwards, as mentioned above.

The classic series is overdue a rerun again surely, or is it assumed 'unofficially' that the fans now have some sort of video copy until the revamped Dvds are brought out?

(Mind you, if UkTv did reair the series, would they fork out for new transfers? Is any broadcaster able to purchase a remastered as seen on Dvd copy, or stick with their crap copies? Black & White with crap sound Ambassodors Episode 5 anyone?)
WP
WillPS

The last time classic series were aired (to my knowledge) was over the Easter weekend 2010 on the Sci-Fi Channel (just before it became SyFy). BBC Four occasionally aired them just before that.

It only aired in January and February 2007, then once in March and once in April:

It was definitely after the new series had bedded in, and it was definitely on UKTV Gold. I only watched it once, so it wouldn't have needed to be regular.

Classic Doctor Who was a regular fixture of UK Gold for years - although it was almost exclusively confined to a continuous loop of Pertwee through to McCoy - once 'Survival' aired it looped back around to 'Spearhead from Space' and the whole thing started again. It used to air early on a sunday morning in an omnibus format where a whole story was aired at once presented as one continuous programme. There were no special end credits made, just the ones from the final part were aired which meant many actors didn't get credited. Although they didn't air the Hartnell/Troughton episodes through not wanting B&W they did leave in the numerous Pertwee episodes which were made in colour but now only exist in B&W.

Considering 6/7 parters were commonplace in the Pertwee / Tom Baker eras and there were all the ad breaks to slot in sometimes it was on air for over 3 hours at a time, which was just a bit much to watch all at once!

The link which you quoted proves you wrong - there were quite a few repeats of Hartnall/Troughton stories up to January 2000. The loop actually tightened further than you suggested as well, at one stage they were just showing Pertwee/Tom Baker/Davison episodes.

I'd agree they're overdue a reshowing. It's possible that Worldwide are asking too much for them, I guess.
CW
cwathen Founding member

The link which you quoted proves you wrong - there were quite a few repeats of Hartnall/Troughton stories up to January 2000. The loop actually tightened further than you suggested as well, at one stage they were just showing Pertwee/Tom Baker/Davison episodes.

I'd agree they're overdue a reshowing. It's possible that Worldwide are asking too much for them, I guess.

I consider myself proved wrong then, the document quoted is a very impressive piece of work. Although in fairness they didn't run any B&W's between 1993 and 1998, and even after that they weren't part of the main sunday morning run before being ditched again in early 2000.

What I found interesting when reading that document was how significant the issue with Terry Nation's estate preventing dalek stories from being aired was. I remember well how this prevented the daleks from featuring in the 40th anniversary celebrations, but I had no idea that even several years later (after 'Dalek' had aired in the new series) that UK Gold still had to skip over dalek stories, and I never knew that back in 1992 they were being skipped over due to rights issues too.
TW
tweedledum
Just seen an advert for the channel, don't know if its been said but it will be on 20 (Freeview) so replacing Gold on that slot.
:-(
A former member
www.dramachannel.tv has quite a lot on it already. Looks like they've managed to pull together a fair amount of stuff to show, certainly comparable with ITV3.

Newer posts