The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WA
watchingtv
From 'Steve in Pudsey' 's video it looks like the screens in the news channel studio are not switched off during the morning while unused.

Just a note in case its asked...
BA
bilky asko
I haven't seen any mention of this here - somebody has posted a video on YouTube of the News Channel falling off air for a couple of minutes at 5.55am last Wednesday morning, followed by them using the newsroom camera and then the view of BH from outside until Breakfast appeared from Salford.

I'm hoping I haven't been taken in by a mock. It is silent but the YT description states that music which I assume to be the countdown music was played.

I caught the end of that - I saw the BH shot, and I presumed it was the normal lead-in to Breakfast (having not seen it until that point). It did look rather good. The countdown music was indeed played over it.
AM
amrob2
I haven't seen any mention of this here - somebody has posted a video on YouTube of the News Channel falling off air for a couple of minutes at 5.55am last Wednesday morning, followed by them using the newsroom camera and then the view of BH from outside until Breakfast appeared from Salford.

I'm hoping I haven't been taken in by a mock. It is silent but the YT description states that music which I assume to be the countdown music was played.

Definetely not a mock. If you jump forward on the video to around 3m50 you momentarily see the red/white swirl pattern that BBC News use on the split screen video background. Once this clears and you return to the newsroom backdrop, if you look at the third monitor from the right above Studio E, you will see the newsroom, then the red/white swirl, then back to the newsroom. This third monitor shows what is going out on the BBC News Channel at all times. You also see on that bank of monitors in the minute or two leading up to the red / white swirls that those screens flicker quite a bit from video to black, then back to video, so I would guess that they were having some transmission problems out of Broadcasting House at that time.
IS
Inspector Sands
A good idea to use the live cams as something to go to in such a situation, although not if there's people rushing around trying to fix it.

I assume that red TV screen in the newsroom is BBC1 who have cut away from the problems to a menu?
WA
watchingtv
Its difficult without sound, but wouldn't that be the point of ending the programme, perhaps it was just timing and more abrupt ending. You would normally have promos etc then a countdown.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I assume that red TV screen in the newsroom is BBC1 who have cut away from the problems to a menu?
Yup. And some music. How old fashioned. I don't think I realised there was a live announcer at that time of the morning, but I suppose it makes sense when there's a big long live programme about to start.

(It was followed by a couple of trails and an ident)

Here's how it looked on the News Channel, with some (non-synchronous) sound. It seems they played the headline bed and the countdown simultaneously at one point.
LW
LeeWN

Seems that they're playing the World News 'coming up' vamp during the newsroom shot.
CR
Critique
In regard to the screens all flickering, going to black and then coming back on, could that be to do with the fact that they're set to switch to BBC News feeds of some description at the TOTH for the News Channel titles, and they were doing that? You can see from about 3:26 that the fourth screen from left changes from the feed of what's going on BBC News to the video feed used on some of the screens in the studio, and that whatever the fifth screen from left was showing changes to the BBC News feed, the sixth from left changing from the BBC One feed to a grid of other feeds. These are the kind of things present during the TOTH on the NC, so maybe that's what's happening?
RT
rts Founding member
They were rather randomly used at 11pm one night this week - I want to say Friday....

Actually, found them here except without the box -

Thanks for this.
WE
welshkid
In regard to the screens all flickering, going to black and then coming back on, could that be to do with the fact that they're set to switch to BBC News feeds of some description at the TOTH for the News Channel titles, and they were doing that? You can see from about 3:26 that the fourth screen from left changes from the feed of what's going on BBC News to the video feed used on some of the screens in the studio, and that whatever the fifth screen from left was showing changes to the BBC News feed, the sixth from left changing from the BBC One feed to a grid of other feeds. These are the kind of things present during the TOTH on the NC, so maybe that's what's happening?

I'm sure that it has previously been mentioned that some of the screens do automatically switch and show the main title sequence...and not just at a TOTH either. They then switch back to Sky News etc, etc
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Thanks for the extra clips, thegeek - I hadn't realised that BBC1 was affected too, I assumed they'd opted out by that point. Good to see them using a menu rather than the generic fault slide.

So how does that junction normally work? I'm assuming there's supposed to be a weather forecast where the black and silence was; is that played out through Studio C's gallery (while RedBee play out something different for World) or is the weather live with the weather studio taken directly to air on the network router under automation or via Studio E's gallery?

If C usually play out the weather it took them a while to realise their output had fallen off air which makes me think they shouldn't still have been in circuit at that point but maybe realised (or were prompted by MCR2 or CCA) that they were still on air and to do something to sustain?
FL
flaziola
I presume then, seeing as the program was over, that World News just played their usual break/breakfiller and countdown? I'm kinda surprised to see that the weekend countdown loop for weekend BBC One opts wasn't rolled out, although there did seem to be lack of wooshes in that countdown to Breakfast so perhaps even those were failing.

Newer posts