The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WE
Westy2
chris posted:
Dunno if this is a regular occurance, but they might want to look at their script as regards the 11am BBC2 simulcast.

Ben Brown has just refered to something coming up in the next hour.

Er probably not on BBC 2 mate!

They do normally say something along the lines of "we'll soon be saying goodbye to viewers on BBC Two..."

Ok, but at least check the running order to see if they'll get to it before 1125!
PE
penguin_kevin
Dunno if this is a regular occurance, but they might want to look at their script as regards the 11am BBC2 simulcast.

On that note, does BBC Two simply crash out of the NC's weather forecast with their own promo trailers? And do they show the countdown into 1100, or simply show an ident leading into the headline sequence?
RI
Richard

On that note, does BBC Two simply crash out of the NC's weather forecast with their own promo trailers? And do they show the countdown into 1100, or simply show an ident leading into the headline sequence?

Only seen it once, but I think you're correct about the weather. It's a normal BBC Two ident in, however.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
No 8pm bulletin tonight? BBC1 Pres seemed to be padding, with an old-school menu slide
OF
oflahertya
Does anyone know why the BBC News Channel doesn't use Studio E after Midnight and is simulcast with BBC World during these hours?
BP
Bob Paisley
Does anyone know why the BBC News Channel doesn't use Studio E after Midnight and is simulcast with BBC World during these hours?

I'm not really sure - although having a half empty newsroom as a backdrop might be one reason.
SR
SomeRandomStuff

Money... or lack thereof.
NG
noggin Founding member
I believe that BBC World News now fund the overnight service (and have done for a while) - hence using their studio.

In days gone by the joint overnight service was funded by News 24, and came predominantly from the News 24 studio. (Another issue was that the former News Channel/BBC One studio at TVC was Barco-based, and running them 24/7 was never going to be a good idea)
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I thought somebody on here said that the Barcos *were* run 24/7 because turning them off/on was a source of failures?
HO
House
I thought somebody on here said that the Barcos *were* run 24/7 because turning them off/on was a source of failures?

Plus were they not similar Barco screens that made up the small videowall in N8? Surely that was both switched on and in production use 24 hours a day?
NG
noggin Founding member

Yes - but not using them on-air 24/7 allowed for maintenance...
NG
noggin Founding member
House posted:

Plus were they not similar Barco screens that made up the small videowall in N8? Surely that was both switched on and in production use 24 hours a day?

The studio didn't depend on that wall. If it wasn't available, you could shoot round it. If the N6 Barco wall went it was a bit trickier...

Newer posts