The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AC
aconnell
I've never really noticed but I always thought the trails were filmed in Studio A (for both the 6 and 10) ?

The Six can use Studio E because the 5 O'clock hour is in Studio C. Studio A is used for the Ten promo because that's free in time for the promo to be aired but before 9pm.
WA
watchingtv
Normally George is in the studio that he will present the programme for, I always assume its minutes before broadcast, but there isnt always a promo, and that's not always because of major developments, or that would on screen come across.
HA
harshy Founding member
Reporters failed to show up leaving Martine to improvise a paper review and now its showing Click instead and the other day a HD bulletin on BBC Two, one of the cameras went walkies Laughing
WE
Westy2
Reporters failed to show up leaving Martine to improvise a paper review and now its showing Click instead and the other day a HD bulletin on BBC Two, one of the cameras went walkies Laughing

One of the cameras started to walk yesterday during Adam Parsons shift.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wonder how much the wandering cameras incidents are down to them trying to be too clever? If the cameras were just being used as cameras rather than as part of the set, spinning around in the back of wide shots for effect etc, the playlist of shots and actions might be much less extensive and less prone to things going wrong?

I'm assuming it is mostly down to human error rather than the kit malfunctioning.
HA
harshy Founding member
I think its human errors maybe having to change the patterns via Mosart quickly and not getting it right maybe? it's a shame really because when it does work, its work very well, it seems studios C and E are most prone.
WA
watchingtv
Quite a few times at the end of national news the camera doesn't seem to have panned back before the weather ending leaving the viewer to see a zip back and wobble and then probably because of that a still final shot rather the original continueing pan out until the local switch.
ST
Stuart
I think its human errors maybe having to change the patterns via Mosart quickly and not getting it right maybe? it's a shame really because when it does work, its work very well, it seems studios C and E are most prone.

C & E are the only ones using the Furio Camera System, aren't they, which seem more prone to these sort of mistakes than the other studios?

I spotted this example on Friday morning. It was quickly corrected by switching to Camera 2 (or 3) which also had a headshot of the single presenter at the desk.

WO
Worzel

C & E are the only ones using the Furio Camera System, aren't they, which seem more prone to these sort of mistakes than the other studios?

I spotted this example on Friday morning. It was quickly corrected by switching to Camera 2 (or 3) which also had a headshot of the single presenter at the desk.

That type of camera hickup has happened a couple of times before in E, where it goes off spinning.

I think the clip below is one of the most chaotic camera incidents as they are quickly trying to frame Jane and the camera locks in on the presenter 1 shot and not the presenter 2 one.

WO
Worzel
Thought I would post this as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/10/bbc-newsroom-criticised-health-safety

Quote:
In early April a paramedic went into the newsroom after a staff member was taken ill but was stopped by security who had concerns about the medic's high visibility jacket being seen on-screen. Three weeks later another news employee was taken ill and was asked if he could walk and was taken out of the newsroom so the ambulance team's high visibility jackets could not be seen.

It is claimed that during the second incident security initially prevented medics going into the newsroom because they were wearing high-visibility jackets and may be seen by viewers if they walked into camera shot.

According to one insider there have been discussions about making the studio glass overlooking the newsroom more opaque so that not every detail of what is going on behind can be seen by viewers, in order to avoid a "Daily Mail incident" in which viewers see journalists inadvertently acting inappropriately in the background when news of a tragedy is breaking.
CH
chris
Thought I would post this as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/10/bbc-newsroom-criticised-health-safety

Quote:
In early April a paramedic went into the newsroom after a staff member was taken ill but was stopped by security who had concerns about the medic's high visibility jacket being seen on-screen. Three weeks later another news employee was taken ill and was asked if he could walk and was taken out of the newsroom so the ambulance team's high visibility jackets could not be seen.

It is claimed that during the second incident security initially prevented medics going into the newsroom because they were wearing high-visibility jackets and may be seen by viewers if they walked into camera shot.

According to one insider there have been discussions about making the studio glass overlooking the newsroom more opaque so that not every detail of what is going on behind can be seen by viewers, in order to avoid a "Daily Mail incident" in which viewers see journalists inadvertently acting inappropriately in the background when news of a tragedy is breaking.

I don't know why they didn't make it more opaque. N8 had the perfect balance of a nice, real newsroom backdrop which didn't distract you.
WE
Westy2
How long would Studio E be out of action, to make it opaque?

Could the NC stay in one place( Studio C?) all day, or would it still have to move around.

Newer posts