The Newsroom

BBC News Countdowns

'The Smiling Orla Guerin' (May 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
I think we all have favorite moments in the BBC (and BBC World) News countdowns. Formerly in the most recent era, most of us will recall the famous John Simpson "duck" on the road between Benghazi and Ajdabya in Libya, when an explosion occurred nearby.

Curious to know everyone's favorite moments from the new batch.

For me, it's the wry smile and nod from Orla Guerin amidst a gathering of locals in Pakistan. I'm still amazed that she managed to execute her rapid double nod in perfect timing with the countdown music!

Well done, Orla.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 14 July 2013 6:12pm
FL
flaziola
I'm kinda liking Alistair Leithead's WTF moment as the space shuttle fly's by and that look sideways from that Chinese guard.
WO
Worzel
Matthew Amroliwala's cheesy teethy grin at the camera, as seen on one of the monitors.

Huw Edwards finger point in the final 10 seconds (on the clap) whilst walking around the Olympic stadium.

The cameraman's face whose in the Antarctic, when positioning the camera is also quite amusing.

They also have a thing about putting presenters on bridges. We had Kate Silverton walking across one for knows how many years (did she ever reach the other side?) and now we have Simon McCoy standing on one.

BTW, were the Joanna Gosling, Clive Myrie (in the paper printing room), Sophie Long, Simon McCoy and Carrie Gracie clips staged? They certainly look that way. How many of them actual file reports?
Last edited by Worzel on 6 May 2013 7:21pm - 3 times in total
BA
bai4943
The rather good looking guy telling Jane Hill that the camera is rolling in Washington is my favourite! Razz
CO
Connews
The wind whistling through Karthi Gnanasegaram's hair as she reports from Wimbledon!
GI
ginnyfan
I think we all have favorite moments in the BBC (and BBC World) News countdowns. Formerly in the most recent era, most of us will recall the famous John Simpson "duck" on the road between Benghazi and Ajdabya in Libya, when an explosion occurred nearby.

For me, it's the wry smile and nod from Orla Guerin amidst a gathering of locals in Pakistan. I'm still amazed that she managed to execute her rapid double nod in perfect timing with the countdown music!

Well done, Orla.

Laughing Laughing Every time I see that countdown it kinda shocks me. It's not the music, visuals or the swooshes that are the biggest change in the new look countdowns, it's Orla flashing a smile!
GM
Gary McEwan

Well done, Orla.

My new 'thunderclap' Is when Jane Hill is ready to do a live link and the whoever was directing from the OB pointing to tell her she was good to go...
WO
Worzel
I also quite like Dan Roan throwing the rugby ball back on the pitch.
LW
LeeWN

Well done, Orla.

I also like that moment when Orla smiled! One of the best additions to the new countdown. Laughing

For me, that cameraman's facial expression in the David Shukman Antarctic clip is funny, and also agree with someone about Huw Edwards pointing his finger matched with the thunderclap! I also like the helicopter shots in the countdown, they're awesome!
Last edited by LeeWN on 8 May 2013 2:44pm
AL
AaronLancs
For me the two most striking images are of the data streams.
They are when they pass through MediaCityUK and travel around 30 St. Mary Axe as they are my favourite shots.
I can't really pick out any key presenter / reporter shots at the moment.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Is it me or in one of the sequences is the helicopter flying backwards?

(Not the one where it's just taken off and turning)
CH
chris_rgu
Someone on one of the other threads said their favourite moment was lyse doucet's look of "i've left the oven on again"...that gave me a laugh!

Newer posts