The Newsroom

Latest proposals for ITV

OFCOM seeking views on more regions, less regional news (February 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
My idea would be: 1x30 Mins Local politics.

ITV would never have a weekly politics show, its a bit of a push to get a monthly one!

They say Never say never. If Ofcom stated that ITV had to produce a weekly Political show (though knowing Ofcom's record...), they would have to. I personally feel a weekly 1/2 hour Pan-Regional Political/Current Affairs show (running 40 weeks a year as per ITV's Border proposal) should be the very least the English regions should expect alongside their News service...though being realistic I also think it is the most English regions can expect.
TW
tweedledum

ITV would never have a weekly politics show, its a bit of a push to get a monthly one!

They say Never say never. If Ofcom stated that ITV had to produce a weekly Political show (though knowing Ofcom's record...), they would have to. I personally feel a weekly 1/2 hour Pan-Regional Political/Current Affairs show (running 40 weeks a year as per ITV's Border proposal) should be the very least the English regions should expect alongside their News service...though being realistic I also think it is the most English regions can expect.

I live in the Border region, and it the paper a few weeks back it said " ITV are considering wheather to move back to Carlisle, but it will be a costly messure". They knocked there old premisis in Harraby. I wonder if they will move?
BR
Brekkie
I would say realisticly the regions should be required to produce the equivalent of 30 minutes of non-news local content a week, but have free reign over what that content is - so for 12 weeks it might be their political shows and then also say once a month they do a current affairs show, but there is also freedom to cover whatever genre they want as long as it is made and produced within the region. In an ideal world this would include some scripted content too giving local comedy and drama writers the chance of at least a pilot airing in their region - but in all likely hood it would be a mixture of factual and lifestyle content but that's fine. There could be a lot of mileage in say a local cookery show which just wouldn't fit as neatly on a national network.
NL
Ne1L C

It's A nice idea but to be honest I think the only regions that would take a politics programme would be STV, UTV and Wales.

Cookery...far too many of those already IMHO
RI
Rijowhi

It's A nice idea but to be honest I think the only regions that would take a politics programme would be STV, UTV and Wales.

Cookery...far too many of those already IMHO

I'm wondering if ITV/Ofcom would come to a compromise - a hour long National programme with a 20 minute Pan-Regional opt-out similar to the BBC's Sunday Politics programme. Could see that potentially working, with Regional Current Affairs matters covered by the Evening Regional News programmes (this could be the Pan-Regional part of the 30 minute programme as per my previous amendment of ITV's proposal).
Last edited by Rijowhi on 10 April 2013 10:58pm
NL
Ne1L C
Idea What about this:

ITV sub-contract the local programming provision to an independent company a'la Channel 4?

Newer posts