The Newsroom

Latest proposals for ITV

OFCOM seeking views on more regions, less regional news (February 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Rijowhi
This is getting worse than the rota threads.

In the real world I don't think anyone thinks a newshour is a good idea - the Evening News at 6.30pm benefits from the later start and would only suffer going head to head with the 6pm news, while similarly the main and only advantage the regional news has is it gets in before the BBC regional news - it would lose by even more if it clashed with their BBC rivals.

ITV looked at a newshour a few years ago now (before the 2009 revamp I think) and ruled it out - and although the look now be more integrated than ever before they've axed the integrated 1.30pm and 10pm bulletins in favour of separate bulletins, so aren't going to suddenly decide an integrated bulletin is what is needed in the 6pm hour.

Also with the arrival of local channels around the country ITV will surely want to give their local news service more prominence, not hide it within an ITV News hour, only encouraging people to look elsewhere for their local news. If ITV scrapped the 6pm local bulletins they are just inviting the new local services to claim the slot for themselves - and it's basically News at Ten all over again.

I think there are some excellent points in Brekkie's post. I agree ITV must keep the advantage of their earlier Evening Regional News programme as I've realised that otherwise we could indeed see another News At Ten situation. I also agree ITV need to highlight their Regional services as much as possible with more competition coming from the Local TV stations (though it must be said ITV have caused some of their own problems with too many cuts to it's own service. As said previously I feel a programme covering Regional Politics/Current Affairs etc could help matters for ITV too).

I still think the only way a Newshour type programme could work is by having a Regionally produced/edited/hosted programme with the latest National,International and Regional News...but it would probably cost more to produce and with less Regional stuff (although if it was 20 mins of real News...). A Regional/National Newshour looks too complicated technically due to quotas, opt-outs etc.
Last edited by Rijowhi on 3 April 2013 10:07pm - 3 times in total
NL
Ne1L C
This is getting worse than the rota threads.

In the real world I don't think anyone thinks a newshour is a good idea - the Evening News at 6.30pm benefits from the later start and would only suffer going head to head with the 6pm news, while similarly the main and only advantage the regional news has is it gets in before the BBC regional news - it would lose by even more if it clashed with their BBC rivals.

ITV looked at a newshour a few years ago now (before the 2009 revamp I think) and ruled it out - and although the look now be more integrated than ever before they've axed the integrated 1.30pm and 10pm bulletins in favour of separate bulletins, so aren't going to suddenly decide an integrated bulletin is what is needed in the 6pm hour.

Also with the arrival of local channels around the country ITV will surely want to give their local news service more prominence, not hide it within an ITV News hour, only encouraging people to look elsewhere for their local news. If ITV scrapped the 6pm local bulletins they are just inviting the new local services to claim the slot for themselves - and it's basically News at Ten all over again.

The question that arises from that is would the arrival of the new "channel 6" stations actually be able to have that much of an impact.

I live in Yorkshire and according to OFCOM's website Leeds, Sheffield, Scarborough, York and Grimsby are going to be covered. I can't see those stations either combined or on their own posing a strong enough threat to ITV.

I could of course be wrong.
BR
Brekkie
Overall I don't think they would either but if ITV scrapped their 6pm local news it gifts them an opportunity to establish themselves.
NL
Ne1L C
Either that or allow the BBC to squash the competition.
RI
Rijowhi
It could be that these Local TV stations actually make ITV look at their Regional services again. In fact is that why ITV are suddenly half interested in sub-Regional services again? Methinks probably yes. I hope (and think) some Local TV can work even with the competition of the BBC/ITV.

Going back to ITV's proposal, I wonder if ITV could offer STV/UTV the chance (and money) to produce six 3 minute opt-outs of Regional News (for their areas) for Daybreak in exchange for scrapping 10 minutes off the Evening Regional News programme? Could this help Daybreak's News offering and potentially be more cost effective for ITV (as the Daybreak bulletins are generally the same over and over again)? It would mean breaking promises to keep the 30 minute Evening programme for Wales and Channel Islands though...but maybe offer a better overall Regional News service?

6:08,6:38,7:08,7:38,8:08,8:30 ITV/STV/UTV Daybreak Regional News bulletins (3 minute bulletins).
13:57 ITV/STV/UTV Regional News (3 minute bulletin).
18:00 ITV/STV/UTV Regional News (20 minute News programme).
22:25 ITV/STV/UTV Regional News (5 minute bulletin).
Last edited by Rijowhi on 4 April 2013 10:53pm
NL
Ne1L C
It could be that these Local TV stations actually make ITV look at their Regional services again. In fact is that why ITV are suddenly half interested in sub-Regional services again? Methinks probably yes. I hope (and think) some Local TV can work even with the competition of the BBC/ITV.

Don't want to rain on your parade but it may lead to the opposite. ITV may create pan-national services with all Northern news coming from Granada Shocked
RI
Richard

Going back to ITV's proposal, I wonder if ITV could offer STV/UTV the chance (and money) to produce six 3 minute opt-outs of Regional News (for their areas) for Daybreak in exchange for scrapping 10 minutes off the Evening Regional News programme? Could this help Daybreak's News offering and potentially be more cost effective for ITV (as the Daybreak bulletins are generally the same over and over again)? It would mean breaking promises to keep the 30 minute Evening programme for Wales and Channel Islands though...but maybe offer a better overall Regional News service?

Surely that would be down to OFCOM? In any case, UTV and STV both exceed their commitments to regional news, so I don't think they'd want to cut back their evening bulletins, even if the were allowed to.
NL
Ne1L C
I don't know much about STV or UTV's news service but if they're doing well in their provision than it would be silly to cut back.

England, Wales and CI should follow suit. Personally I'd love a regional current affairs programme once or twice a week.
RI
Rijowhi
I don't know much about STV or UTV's news service but if they're doing well in their provision than it would be silly to cut back.

England, Wales and CI should follow suit. Personally I'd love a regional current affairs programme once or twice a week.

I believe Wales have similar amounts of Regional programming to STV/UTV anyway. A Regional Current Affairs programme for each of the English Pan-Regions and the CI would indeed be nice.

The good news is the Channel Islands News service has been guaranteed by ITV themselves. The thing is England needs a decent Regional News service too, hence why I feel if the 30 minute programme format stays then it needs to be at least Pan-Regional (with the 20 minute sub-region proposal from ITV within the programme). I really think Ofcom should throw out this 10 minute 'News from anywhere' rubbish.
TI
tightrope78

UTV Live is the most popular ITV regional news programme in the country. It routinely beats the BBC offering by as much as 2 to 1 in audience share.
NL
Ne1L C
My idea would be:

WEEKDAYS/NIGHTS
3/4 Breakfast bulletins- 15/20Mins
2 Morning Bulletins-10 mins

1x10 min Lunchtime News

2 afternoon bulletins-10 mins

20 mins Flagship Local News

1x 10 mins late news

WEEKLY

1x30 mins Local Current Affairs

1x30 Mins Local politics

WEEKENDS

1x30 min News Review

20 Mins of local news/sport

TOTAL-2 hours and 10 minutes.
TW
tweedledum
My idea would be: 1x30 Mins Local politics.

ITV would never have a weekly politics show, its abit of a push to get a monthly one!

Newer posts