TV Home Forum

Happy 12th Birthday TVForum

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WP
WillPS
Neon? Too soon, I know.

Congratulations on a significant anniversary.
PC
Paul Clark
Wowzers, a long time indeed. Shame TV presentation has actually got blander, more corporate and less interesting over the last decade or so. I think the junctions of the late 1990s and early 2000s look better than they do today for the most part (the terrestrial channels anyway}, maybe Channel 4 looks better than it did back then.

They don't even make an effort for Christmas anymore.

I have to agree on all counts there. TV presentation seems to be experiencing a bit of a dip in creativity just now, including network BBC 1 really lowering the bar by its usual standards in recent months. But that hopefully will start to recover over the next few years, and gradually get nearer to what I'd call the peak, of circa mid 1990s - early 2000s in terms of the strength & range of ideas again.

The likely exception at present is Channel 4 - which I feel has idents that if anything, may actually be a little too technically impressive in relation to the programme output...
BH
BillyH Founding member
TV Forum is 12. I started posting here 12 years ago. When I was 12. I'm now 24.

...I've been officially posting on this forum for half of my entire life. Shocked

To think how radically different the TV landscape is compared to 2001 is somewhat alarming - BBC2 still with the same idents from a decade earlier, regional identities still (mostly) alive on ITV and multi-channel TV (and even the internet, really) still seen as something of a luxury! Wonder if we'll all be here in 2025, looking back at the next twelve years and seeing how even worse everything got Razz

Happy birthday all the same!
BR
Brekkie
Does the archive go back to the very first days of TVF or is it only as far back as the relaunch which I think was around 2005. It would be interesting to see what was being talked about in those early days.

Must admit I thought it had been around a bit longer - weren't we discussing 2000 Today here?
JW
JamesWorldNews
Happy Birthday.
JA
JAS84
Does the archive go back to the very first days of TVF or is it only as far back as the relaunch which I think was around 2005. It would be interesting to see what was being talked about in those early days.

Must admit I thought it had been around a bit longer - weren't we discussing 2000 Today here?
I just searched for site:tvforum.co.uk "2000 today" and the earliest result was from 2004 (in reference to an old website). Click

(Link edited to prevent page stretch)
WH
Whataday Founding member
I came here from the NotBBC TV forum as I got lynched for discussing the TV presentation aspect of 9/11, accused of being insensitive. I soon felt at home here! Very Happy
PT
Put The Telly On
Happy Birthday! 12 years already..goodness me! I joined in 2004 when people were starting to tire of the BBC1 'dancer' idents, outcry after Rita hit Chesney for stealing in Corrie and Charles Allen created havoc after taking over ITV.

Happy days!
BR
Brekkie
This looks to be the earliest thing I can find on archive.org
http://web.archive.org/web/20010807142251/http://www.tvhome.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/forums.cgi?forum=1
WH
Whataday Founding member

Ha, some of those thread names made me smile. Whatever happened to Katherine?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Who here is old enough to remember the original name for TV Home?
VM
VMPhil
Who here is old enough to remember the original name for TV Home?

I remember reading about it (and it still being online) on the TV Home history page - wasn't it something like UK Television?

Newer posts