TV Home Forum

BBC Television Centre Night

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
Mr D'Arcy
Danny Baker was livid, Terry Wogan couldn't understand it and Noel Edmonds consulted his spiritual guide to wonder what the future for the BBC would be?

Some great memories but television hasn't died.. providing it evolves, providing it keeps up with what the audience want.. I think... I think it could go on forever.

Does TV provide what the audience wants nowadays? I just want to watch quality TV, programmes that entertain me, enlighten me, educate me and currently the only channels that do that are BBC1 and BBC4. Thanks to the fixed BBC Licence fee BBC2 is nothing but a station of repeats, BBC3 still doesn't quite know what its demographic is, ITV is totally obessed with Drama and tacky shows, Channel 4 lost it way years ago and Channel 5 is very hit, miss and maybe. Sky1 seems to be gaining UK stars but their programmes always seem below standard and as for the other digitial channels, well if you seen a programme once you've seen it 413 times.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not convinced by the standard of research on the Michael Grade programme, spotted several clips from programmes that I'm sure were made at Lime Grove or TV Theatre, or even Manchester (Coleman era Question of Sport)
Last edited by Steve in Pudsey on 23 March 2013 12:45am
KN
knack
Danny Baker was livid, Terry Wogan couldn't understand it and Noel Edmonds consulted his spiritual guide to wonder what the future for the BBC would be?

Some great memories but television hasn't died.. providing it evolves, providing it keeps up with what the audience want.. I think... I think it could go on forever.

Does TV provide what the audience wants nowadays? I just want to watch quality TV, programmes that entertain me, enlighten me, educate me and currently the only channels that do that are BBC1 and BBC4. Thanks to the fixed BBC Licence fee BBC2 is nothing but a station of repeats, BBC3 still doesn't quite know what its demographic is, ITV is totally obessed with Drama and tacky shows, Channel 4 lost it way years ago and Channel 5 is very hit, miss and maybe. Sky1 seems to be gaining UK stars but their programmes always seem below standard and as for the other digitial channels, well if you seen a programme once you've seen it 413 times.

I disagree that BBC Two is just repeats. I wouldn't say it's in great shape - it needs an overhaul, a new identity. But it still shows some interesting programmes. The Railway and The Planners that ended this week have been enlightening, educating and at times entertaining (to me at least).

Perhaps it's the case that with the myriad of digital channels good programming is few and far between and surrounded by junk for schedule filling.
CA
Cando
Not convinced by the standard of research on the Michael Grade programme, spotted several clips from programmes that I'm sure were made at Lime Grove or TV Theatre, or even Manchester (Coleman era Question of Sport)

Didn't QofS always film a few episodes in London every year? They still do iirc. Some of the Wogan clips like the Dustin Hoffman interview surely must have taken place at the tv theatre though.
SC
scoobiesnack

Agree, I feel some of the stuff wasn't made at TV centre - eg that famous Newsnight interview with Paxman I don't think was from TV centre.

However, there is an argument that BBC TV centre was the home of BBC TV in the main - all the controllers etc, so that potentially makes anything valid
CA
Cando
knack posted:

Thanks to the fixed BBC Licence fee BBC2 is nothing but a station of repeats,.

I disagree that BBC Two is just repeats. I wouldn't say it's in great shape - it needs an overhaul, a new identity. But it still shows some interesting programmes. The Railway and The Planners that ended this week have been enlightening, educating and at times entertaining (to me at least).

Interesting I would say BBC 2 is pretty strong at the moment, especially since it got a big drama budget increase a few years ago. Media writers/critics seem to be lavishing it with awards. The industry gave it the channel of the year award last year and it has swept the board at a number of awards ceremonies in the last week alone.

The RTS Television awards

Arts
Lucian Freud: Painted Life Blakeway for BBC Two

History
The Secret History of Our Streets Century Films and Halcyons Heart Films for BBC Two

Documentary Series
Protecting Our Children BBC Productions for BBC Tw

Comedy Performance
Jessica Hynes - Twenty Twelve (Series 2) BBC Productions for BBC Two

Science and Natural History
Operation Iceberg BBC Productions for BBC Two

Single Documentary
7/7: One Day in London Minnow Films for BBC Two

Single Drama
The Hollow Crown: Richard II

Writing
The thick of it

The South Bank Show awards

Comedy : Twenty Twelve, BBC Two

TV Drama : Parade’s End, BBC Two
Other nominees were Line of Duty, BBC 2 and The Hollow Crown, BBC2

The British Press Guild Awards

Best Single Drama
The Hollow Crown: Richard II

Best Drama Series
Parade's End

Best Documentary Series
Inside Claridge's

Best Entertainment/Comedy
Twenty Twelve

Best Factual Entertainment
The Great British Bake Off

Best Actor
Benedict Cumberbatch--Parade's end

Best Actress
Rebecca Hall

Writer's Award
Tom Stoppard
SC
scoobiesnack
David posted:

I'm not really sure how the Madness concert fits in to BBC Four's Goodbye to Television Centre week, it's just a Madness concert that happens to be live from BBC Television Centre. Great if you are a Madness fan and actually quite entertaining even if you are not but I don't think it's relevant to what BBC Television Centre has been doing for the last 50+ years.

Think about it... " Madness "... I don't think that is a coincidence. They were choosen for their name. Wink
SC
scoobiesnack
I thought the Grade show was very good, though quite how Chris Hollins made the guest list I'm not sure.
FA
fanoftv
Does anybody know if there are any plans to put the Michael Grade programme on to iPlayer?
So far I can just see the one show & the Richard Thompson programmes.
ST
SillyTilly
Its listed as Coming Soon so I'd say that is should be available sometime today hopefully.
FG
FG1

Agree, I feel some of the stuff wasn't made at TV centre - eg that famous Newsnight interview with Paxman I don't think was from TV centre.

However, there is an argument that BBC TV centre was the home of BBC TV in the main - all the controllers etc, so that potentially makes anything valid

I haven't seen that yet. Was the Paxman interview with Michael Howard? If so it was definitely TC2. I was there...
I agree though that some of the stuff shown,from the little i have seen,was not Television Centre.
Last edited by FG1 on 23 March 2013 10:23am
WE
Westy2
Is there a repeat of the Grade programme due?

My Sky Plus failed, plus my back up Freeview ran out before the end, as it was longer than 2 hours for a DVD!

Newer posts