The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Mike516
Ooh, I didn't realise the Papers were treated as their own programme now - very nice. And a proper close into Sportsday.

It is nice, and I do like the side shot used during the programme. Although you do see some people coming down the stairs staring at the studio!
BR
Brekkie
Phen posted:
my point is that the move to a totally new broadcast facility was the perfect time to start from scratch. How are they ever going to move forward if they cling on to this brand?

I agree to an extent. Surely this must be the last reincarnation of the beeps and drums. Despite it being a fantastic theme, and it will be sorely missed when it is replaced, it has been going a bit stale for a while now and DL's reworks don't sound so new and fresh any more.

To play devil's advocate, could it be that bosses felt a complete rebrand would be too much to bite off given the staggered cross-over to BH? That is, with World having to move over 2 months before would it have been too messy with a totally different brand on World and NC at the same time for those 2 months? Perhaps it wasn't logistically possible to have World and NC move to BH at the same time with a totally new brand thus they had to keep the branding similar to make the transition period run smoothly? Or perhaps there's a more simple reason for keeping things more low-key. We are in an age of austerity at the moment. Perhaps the BBC didn't want to rock the boat by going for an all-out new studio and look at the same time in this current economic climate and be ridiculed by all quarters for it? Who knows - they may be planning to rebrand the whole thing visually (not the studios) in a short period of time. The refresh in 2007 only lasted just over a year...

I just don't get the logic in doing a relaunch in stages - all it does is lessen the impact, and compared to the cost of Broadcasting House changing the titles and music would cost a pittance, while a colour scheme costs little at all - though really they should have kept the newsroom areas much more neutral to give them the option of moving away from the red.

The swirls were axed before their time for something inferior IMO - and the current look has remained pretty much unchanged for 5 years now, longer than the 1999 and 2004 look, so a refresh would have timed in nicely with the move, not been done for the sake of it.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Cando posted:
I seem to remember Dead Ringers did a good parody of the giant ITV 'theatre of news' with Jan Raven as Mary Nightingale interviewing the PM at the huge newswall. 'Please Mr Prime Minister you're so big, please don't eat me' Very Happy

Thought that was Jon Culshaw's line as 'Alastair Stewart' ?

Yes, although it was actually John Reid as Home Secretary. My favourite bit was the dig at Alastair Stewart and his "pantomime fashion" of speaking. I've always found him a little overdramatic.

I found a version of the video still online here.
1H
the1hk
Cando posted:
chris posted:
The brand is so strong now they would be foolish to ditch it. I'm sure Lambie-Nairn did research back in 2008 and they found people associated BBC News with red and the music (obviously after journalistic integrity/accuracy etc.).

Nail on the head. You don't dump strong brands with high audience figures and appreciation. Constant revamps are for struggling and dwindling brands like ITV. How many looks have ITV News alone got through in the last few years and they wonder why they have dwindling audience appreciation and loyalty.

In a 'Tv forum' world Coca Cola would be advised to drop the red and the IOC should drop the Olympic rings Laughing

Truer words have never been spoken on this forum.

Look, if the branding creates trust with the audience, no one working at the BBC really gives a s**t what is written on here. If anything, I bet someone there is laughing at all the arguments that occur on this forum, it's so tragic. The branding team created these graphics with their audience in mind, the WHOLE UK population, not just a bunch of anals.

Let me get my one word opinion out first on the new look, it's EPIC.

Of course, anals will point out that there are bits and pieces which could be improved (title sync), fair enough. But tbh, no-one outside here really gives a damn.

And to all those who whine on about how BBC News needs some crazy reincarnation instead of the branding shown (or my 10 minute mock on the gallery), to give you one example, have you seen ARD's tagesschau?! The set and graphics are 8 years old, the set and graphics before that (which looked EXACTLY THE SAME) lasted 8 years too. And the music is going on for nearly SIXTY years! And no-one's complaining. If anything, the BBC will have been (and should be) very fortunate to be one of the news corporations to have found something that sticks and has become identifiable with the millions who watch it.

If people on here think they know what's best, stop complaining on here, go to the BBC, give them a piece of your mind, and tell us how it went. Failing that, put up or shut up.
Last edited by the1hk on 21 March 2013 12:07am
AN
Ant
I agree with the above. An identity that's largely remained the same for such a long period of time goes to show how strong it is as a look. It's consistent, recognisable and that's pretty much all the BBC care about.

Certainly for the BBC the days of revolution are over, and that's no bad thing.
TR
trivialmatters
I don't think they needed anything as radical as a new colour scheme - changing from red to blue would be totally arbitrary.

I do think they can afford to rethink their titles and logo a little bit though. Seeing the beautiful Breakfast 'coming up' menu shows how striking the logo can look when it's not squished into a box.

I'd love the BBC News titles to end the way that video starts - with the logo freed from its box and overlaid on the visuals.
BR
Brekkie
Ant posted:
I agree with the above. An identity that's largely remained the same for such a long period of time goes to show how strong it is as a look. It's consistent, recognisable and that's pretty much all the BBC care about.

You say that as if viewers are going to be almighty confused if they tune in to BBC1 or BBC News and see something that looks a little different.

It's all quite short sighted really as by not going the full hog with a revamp now all they're really doing is ensuring their new studios will probably date a hell of a lot quicker. Some of you here may think it all feels quite fresh at the moment but will you feel the same in a few months time once the novelty has worn off?
AN
Ant
Ant posted:

You say that as if viewers are going to be almighty confused if they tune in to BBC1 or BBC News and see something that looks a little different.

It's all quite short sighted really as by not going the full hog with a revamp now all they're really doing is ensuring their new studios will probably date a hell of a lot quicker. Some of you here may think it all feels quite fresh at the moment but will you feel the same in a few months time once the novelty has worn off?

It's a look and sound that's proven it can stand the test of time, with only very occasional set and graphic differences. Why change it for the sake of it? They've built up a recognisable identity across all platforms, something that ITV News could only dream of.

I've never heard anyone outside of these parts ever complain in any way about the identity of BBC News, even after 5 years of the exact same look.
AS
Asa Admin
Failing that, put up or shut up.

What's with the vicious attitude? If people want to debate on here whether or not BBC News should rebrand, or have
rebranded with this move then that's perfectly fine. The whole "no-one outside gives a damn" is irrelevant - this is a pres forum for fans of presentation! What else are we going to discuss? Rolling Eyes

For what's it worth I agree with the sentiment - just because it has been around for a while now doesn't to me automatically mean the whole thing should be binned and start from scratch again. Recognising the brand is something the BBC are clearly keen on. They have a strong logo and a strong image consistent around the world. Of course they should keep things fresh but that happened yesterday with the new studio, titles and countdown. In current times an evolution not revolution is the way to go.
WO
Worzel
Oops...

LW
LeeWN
Isn't it that BBC News 24 had a break bumper similar to BBC World back in the flags era?
JM
JMD
Freeing the news logo from the box could work really well if the background was coloured (red for the news, probably) like the breakfast 'coming up' screen. The globe could be translucent white and the logo could be opaque in the middle of the screen.
Last edited by JMD on 21 March 2013 6:07am

Newer posts