The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Cando
chris posted:
The brand is so strong now they would be foolish to ditch it. I'm sure Lambie-Nairn did research back in 2008 and they found people associated BBC News with red and the music (obviously after journalistic integrity/accuracy etc.).

Nail on the head. You don't dump strong brands with high audience figures and appreciation. Constant revamps are for struggling and dwindling brands like ITV. How many looks have ITV News alone got through in the last few years and they wonder why they have dwindling audience appreciation and loyalty.

In a 'Tv forum' world Coca Cola would be advised to drop the red and the IOC should drop the Olympic rings Laughing
CA
Cando
I love how they are walking the catwalk, much like ITV circa 04, it's just so unnecessary Laughing

And spoofed pretty well a while back by Broken News : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyuXY8QZjy8

Anyone working in TV News should be forced to watch The Day Today and Broken News...

I seem to remember Dead Ringers did a good parody of the giant ITV 'theatre of news' with Jan Raven as Mary Nightingale interviewing the PM at the huge newswall. 'Please Mr Prime Minister you're so big, please don't eat me' Very Happy
WE
Westy2
Cando posted:
I love how they are walking the catwalk, much like ITV circa 04, it's just so unnecessary Laughing

And spoofed pretty well a while back by Broken News : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyuXY8QZjy8

Anyone working in TV News should be forced to watch The Day Today and Broken News...

I seem to remember Dead Ringers did a good parody of the giant ITV 'theatre of news' with Jan Raven as Mary Nightingale interviewing the PM at the huge newswall. 'Please Mr Prime Minister you're so big, please don't eat me' Very Happy

Thought that was Jon Culshaw's line as 'Alastair Stewart' ?
NG
noggin Founding member
Cando posted:

In a 'Tv forum' world Coca Cola would be advised to drop the red and the IOC should drop the Olympic rings Laughing

Absolutely. Frequent relaunches are a clear sign of insecurity in your brand.

(And cushions and vases of flowers shortly appearing on studio sets after launch are a sign that the set is hated by management...)
FL
flaziola
Dear me, that 9pm intro was a mess, Why can't they use the clean titles that World have been using since they moved, and indeed BBC News use for the overnights?
HA
harshy Founding member
Dear me, that 9pm intro was a mess, Why can't they use the clean titles that World have been using since they moved, and indeed BBC News use for the overnights?

That's awful, they didn't finish the long titles, this definitely needs looking into.
PH
Phen
They should be using the BBC World News titles when not in the newsroom.

Totally. Its easily fixed - ditch the current OB titles and just copy and paste World's. I can imagine how they probably wanted to make the long titles look refreshed by playing around with the sequence but it hasn't improved things at all. Average Joe might not notice but it still looks daft - especially after FIVE years of nicely synced visuals! Come on team, sort it out!
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Cando posted:

(And cushions and vases of flowers shortly appearing on studio sets after launch are a sign that the set is hated by management...)

I agree that very frequent rebrands are a bad sign, but 14 years+ of the same or similar brand is surely unprecedented in television terms? I can't think of many news programmes that have maintained a brand for as long as BBC News has of late. Even the BBC "virtual era" was retired after 6 years and the News 24/World flags which had a lot of mileage didn't even last longer than 2 years.

Even the longest brands over at ITN haven't lasted 14 years - the News at 5:45 had the same presentation from 1976-1988 and by the time it was retired it was totally clapped out. Non Stop and the Awakening were used for a long time, granted, but even then the accompanying visuals were changed every now and then.

It just feels like BBC News has been visually the same for such a long time that it's time something new was developed. They can't eek this out forever and my point is that the move to a totally new broadcast facility was the perfect time to start from scratch. How are they ever going to move forward if they cling on to this brand?
MD
mdtauk
Phen posted:
They should be using the BBC World News titles when not in the newsroom.

Totally. Its easily fixed - ditch the current OB titles and just copy and paste World's. I can imagine how they probably wanted to make the long titles look refreshed by playing around with the sequence but it hasn't improved things at all. Average Joe might not notice but it still looks daft - especially after FIVE years of nicely synced visuals! Come on team, sort it out!

Slight difference is that the placenames are different between the two versions, but all they did was re-edit the old style shots for the new titles, so re-edit it all back.
RI
Richard
Cando posted:

I agree that very frequent rebrands are a bad sign, but 14 years+ of the same or similar brand is surely unprecedented in television terms? I can't think of many news programmes that have maintained a brand for as long as BBC News has of late. Even the BBC "virtual era" was retired after 6 years and the News 24/World flags which had a lot of mileage didn't even last longer than 2 years.

Even the longest brands over at ITN haven't lasted 14 years - the News at 5:45 had the same presentation from 1976-1988 and by the time it was retired it was totally clapped out. Non Stop and the Awakening were used for a long time, granted, but even then the accompanying visuals were changed every now and then.

It just feels like BBC News has been visually the same for such a long time that it's time something new was developed. They can't eek this out forever and my point is that the move to a totally new broadcast facility was the perfect time to start from scratch. How are they ever going to move forward if they cling on to this brand?

Yes but the brand has changed quite a bit in that time. Only since 2007 has there been little change.

The virtual look may have lasted 6 or so years, but remember that the theme tunes went back to the eighties - in particular the Six O'Clock News theme was from 1984.
BR
Brekkie

Exactly - and the BBC have no problem changing their studio fairly frequently (since 1999 I think the national news has been through 5 set ups before the move to NBH) so why not refresh the thing that arguably defines the look most - the titles and the brand.

Also these new titles are cut so terribly the only place name that really stands out on them is Beijing and that's in the opening frame. The rest is just a blurred mess really, while the less said about the regional branding the better.
LW
LeeWN

Yep, I even preferred BBC World News' titles to the News Channel one when it comes to visuals.

Newer posts