The Newsroom

BBC National/News Channel from New Broadcasting House

(March 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonny
I wish David Lowe had given the news channel a little motief theme, like World News has with its siren sounds. It would have separated it a little bit more from domestic news.

Yes. I think this sound (prevalent in some form until 2008) may have been intended as an equivalent.
FL
flaziola
I wish David Lowe had given the news channel a little motief theme, like World News has with its siren sounds. It would have separated it a little bit more from domestic news.
Don't know if this was David's idea but 24 did have a rock guitar rift once.
WO
Worzel
It will be interesting to see how they hand over to the Nationals on the weekends, whether or not we'll have the filler or some news slides come up.
WO
Worzel
Don't know if this was David's idea but 24 did have a rock guitar rift once.

My favourite BBC News 24/Channel titles music ever.

Oh, that was that god-awful temporary News 24 studio that was CSO. I'd forgotten about that short era while the 2003 set was being built.
GI
ginnyfan
I've noticed they shoot the newswall presentation from one side on NC (same as World) and from the other for national news. I prefer the second.
BA
bakamann
Speaking of the countdowns, Will the great almighty paulm upload the BBC NC countdowns? Very Happy
CC
Cross Channel
The 5pm opening newsroom wideshot is pre-recorded unless the same people were going up the spiral staircase at exactly the same time two days in a row - which is of course possible.
BA
bazinga
I really don't like the five and nine pm hours on the news channel just because of the virtual studio and the world one doesn't look very nice with the newsroom backdrop , I just really don't like the newsroom shot they use , because it looks frosted and the glass barriers look fake ( or is it just me? )
MD
mdtauk
Right, lets try and put the argument to sleep that the titles are out of sync with the visuals.

I've re-sync'd them by a bit of audio ripping and Adobe Premier Pro work.

If they put the music in time with the visual morphing of the globe (basically how it used to be) and took 2 seconds off the long newsroom and a second of the studio pan... these are the end results...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xybjuq_bbc-news-opener-ammended_news#.UUiKM1fNtAI

Does it really improve things?

Yes I think the sound is out of sync, but the pacing feels wrong with them also. Here is my attempt at re-editing the titles to add an extra shot, reduce the length of the sweeps, and to remove the box logo in a more graceful way!

WO
Worzel
Ooops! The studio tractor camera went on a drunken spin just then!
DA
Davidjb Founding member
The new cameras do create very fluid shots when moving, very smooth sweeping. Out of interest is there more than one camera on the same track and if so are the cameras intelligent enough to know not to bump into one another. Another thing I notice is tv cameras being in shot always used to be a no no in the old days but we have seen these new cameras in shot a fair bit. I'm assuming this is partly because these cameras are quite minimalist compared to the older studio cameras?
RO
Ronant
Chris Cook has been very kindly doing a TV Forum Q and A for the last hour or so on Twitter if anyone else has any questions! I think I've asked my fair share.

Newer posts