The Newsroom

BBC News 24 and World - 90s flags presentation

(June 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LW
LeeWN
a516 posted:
It's like the flags are real if you look at it. I don't believe it was filmed underwater.

What did BBC World do when their set was revamped for the 2000 relaunch? Did it simulcast with News 24, and if yes, what titles?

BBC World had a whole weekend of simulcasts with BBC News 24. Same as generic overnight titles.

You mean the BBC One news titles or the flags one?

Quote:
Newsnight (used to be 0110 CET)

Until when did it lasted? Did it aired the whole 50 min. programme as shown on BBC Two (I know we have the weekly 30 minute edition) and what titles?
Last edited by LeeWN on 15 February 2013 11:42pm
LW
LeeWN
When did HARDtalk moved into N6? Was it when the National News moved there or earlier than that?
WP
WillPS
Really interesting thread this. I always felt that the overwhelmingly beige stuff was a massive retrograde step for World and News 24. I also think it helped having a distinction between the rolling stuff and the BBC One bulletins.
LW
LeeWN
Really interesting thread this. I always felt that the overwhelmingly beige stuff was a massive retrograde step for World and News 24. I also think it helped having a distinction between the rolling stuff and the BBC One bulletins.

Well, the 1999 relaunch helps all news services to be connected with each other, keeping in line with the BBC News branding.
LW
LeeWN
Yes, those flags (1995) were actually introduced in October 1993 when it was still called BBC World Service Television. However, the music was changed slightly when it became BBC World in 1995 - before the whole look and sound was updated in 1997.

Wow! Very interesting. ISTR that the 1995 World versions were revised themes of the WSTV one. How did you know that they were introduced in 1993?
JW
JamesWorldNews

Fully agree. World News had a particularly resounding theme (visual/audible) in the form of the flag era, mainly the second one. One knew of its unquestionable arrival onto the screen just by hearing that fantastic music.

Fast forward to the beige era. Timid, or what?

Having watched avidly through the two flag eras, the second newsroom based version was by far my favourite.
LW
LeeWN

Fully agree. World News had a particularly resounding theme (visual/audible) in the form of the flag era, mainly the second one. One knew of its unquestionable arrival onto the screen just by hearing that fantastic music.

Fast forward to the beige era. Timid, or what?

Having watched avidly through the two flag eras, the second newsroom based version was by far my favourite.

I'm surprised by how you lucky people saw the flags era personally. It was fantastic! Would be very glad to hear other versions of World's 2nd flags era music.
MI
Mike516
a516 posted:
It's like the flags are real if you look at it. I don't believe it was filmed underwater.

What did BBC World do when their set was revamped for the 2000 relaunch? Did it simulcast with News 24, and if yes, what titles?

BBC World had a whole weekend of simulcasts with BBC News 24. Same as generic overnight titles.

You mean the BBC One news titles or the flags one?

Quote:
Newsnight (used to be 0110 CET)

Until when did it lasted? Did it aired the whole 50 min. programme as shown on BBC Two (I know we have the weekly 30 minute edition) and what titles?

The generic BBC One news titles with the British Isles in the first frame.
Newsnight aired Tuesday-Saturday at 0110 CET until the end of October 1997, it was the same as the BBC Two show and was during the era when BBC World didn't break programmes into two for adverts. USA Direct launched in November 1997 at 0105 CET. Newsnight only returned to the channel in the 00s as a weekly version.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
When did HARDtalk moved into N6? Was it when the National News moved there or earlier than that?

Well N6 didn't exist until 1998ish and the National News moved straight in. I'm assuming Hard Talk did as well, although I don't know for certain. It was certainly in N6 by 2000.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Yes, those flags (1995) were actually introduced in October 1993 when it was still called BBC World Service Television. However, the music was changed slightly when it became BBC World in 1995 - before the whole look and sound was updated in 1997.

Wow! Very interesting. ISTR that the 1995 World versions were revised themes of the WSTV one. How did you know that they were introduced in 1993?

A friend of mine was involved with the '93 WSTV relaunch...
JW
JamesWorldNews
Aha. World service television! Yes indeed. Lindsey Brancher, Riz Khan, Martine Dennis and Julian Marshall. All four of them sported the same bouffant hairdo! I think they may even have passed it around between shifts!

Those were the days.
LW
LeeWN
Aha. World service television! Yes indeed. Lindsey Brancher, Riz Khan, Martine Dennis and Julian Marshall. All four of them sported the same bouffant hairdo! I think they may even have passed it around between shifts!

Those were the days.

May I also add Peter Dobbie!! He joined the channel when it was still there I think.

Newer posts