TV Home Forum

Sochi and Rio Paralympic Rights won by Ch4.

2014 Winter and 2016 Summer Games (February 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
.• Broadcaster secures innovative two Games bundle from IPC

• Channel 4 to broadcast over 45 hours from Sochi 2014 and 500 hours from Rio 2016

• Channel 4 to build on legacy of ground breaking London 2012 coverage

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has awarded the UK television rights for the Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016 Paralympic Games to Channel 4 following a highly competitive tender process.

The deal with Channel 4 includes multi-platform broadcast rights within the UK and will see the broadcaster build on its acclaimed coverage of London 2012 which broke UK viewing records for Paralympic sport and reached 69 per cent of the population.

As part of the agreement Channel 4 will screen over 45 hours of coverage from the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games - the most ever by a British broadcaster.

see here ……..

PARALYMPIC.ORG
08-Feb-2013 @ 21:49
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 8 February 2013 9:54pm
:-(
A former member
Is that the winter Olympics
JO
Jon
Is that the winter Olympics

The next winter and summer ones.
Breaking.

Hopefully someone will fix you. Smile
BR
Brekkie
Great news - the last Winter Paralympics had the sort of coverage NBC would be proud of - a one-hour highlights show a week after it was all over, though I think the odd curling match was on the red button. I wouldn't expect more than perhaps an hour of highlights a day on C4 itself, with the rest online and perhaps on More4, but happy they've retained the rights to the Summer games and I suspect they will go all out on that once again.
JT
jolly turnip
Just confirmed on the excellent The Last Leg - which incidentally has been extended by 20 minutes tonight. I assume that is to try to hold a few more viewers for a bit longer before the dire Paddy's TV Guide comes on which has bombed in the ratings I believe
BR
Brekkie
Interesting they say The Last Leg will accompany their coverage. Understandable for the Winter Games, but could be a problem for Rio as to be the "last leg" of the coverage it would be airing in the middle of the night, so it would have to displace live action if it airs at some point around 10-11pm.
SW
Steve Williams
Just confirmed on the excellent The Last Leg - which incidentally has been extended by 20 minutes tonight. I assume that is to try to hold a few more viewers for a bit longer before the dire Paddy's TV Guide comes on which has bombed in the ratings I believe

Well, it has, but also at thirty minutes, and being broadcast live, by the time the audience had stopped applauding and whooping, it was virtually time to go. This episode was the first that felt like a proper show with stuff happening in it rather than an extended preamble to a show that never really got going. Although the scheduling still isn't helping it as it's on straight after 8 Out Of 10 Cats which talks about all the same things.

Adam Hills pointed out they thought it was the first time any British TV channel had covered the Winter Paralympics in any great depth, as mentioned there was just a highlights package last time, but then we barely get that much coverage of the Winter Olympics in any case.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Rio should offer a 'Last Leg' programme a slot just after 9pm, once the afternoon sessions finish and pre start of the evening ones. It may have to be held on a few occasions for over-runs but should work ok on most competion dates.
JO
Jon
Rio should offer a 'Last Leg' programme a slot just after 9pm, once the afternoon sessions finish and pre start of the evening ones. It may have to be held on a few occasions for over-runs but should work ok on most competion dates.

The Last Leg as concept may be dead by then anyway. Say if Adam Hills has got bigger gigs, or if The Last Leg has become an extremely popular show in it's own right it might seem odd for it to become nightly and lumped in with the Paralympics.
BR
Brekkie
I don't think it would ever be odd for it to return to it's Paralympic routes. It's more likely to be axed by then than to be too popular to feature.
IS
Inspector Sands
Well, it has, but also at thirty minutes, and being broadcast live, by the time the audience had stopped applauding and whooping, it was virtually time to go. This episode was the first that felt like a proper show with stuff happening in it rather than an extended preamble to a show that never really got going.

Yes, it has seemed a bit of a waste to have just 25 minutes of it. I've not seen this weekend's yet but hopefully it will have a bit more content. Charlie Brooker's new programme is similar in that respect - they have a studio and get guests in, but then only utilise them for a few minutes. It doesn't seem that cost effective to me, it's just a shame 45 minute slots don't always fit that well in the schedules
BR
Brekkie
Definitely worked bette with the extra 20 minutes. I don't get the comparison with Charlie Brooker though - the guests on Weekly Wipe are nothing more than one of the many features within it, not the central premise of the show.

Newer posts