« Topics
james
I'm so glad you've changed the 'News', 'Wiki' and 'Presents' logos. The ones you implemented at the beginning of the month looked fantastic at first but then by last week I thought they stale.

I'm sure the same thing will happen with ITV, and I look forward to their February relaunch.

Sarcasm detected. Sarcasm ignored.

Although Will's comment may have had sarcasm in it, he did bring up a good point. Branding of a website (or any brand really) needs to be strong in order for it to have the recognition from visitors or customers etc. One way to do this is to create a logo and brand which is instantly recognisable for the product you are trying to push into the public domain. Take for example, TV Forum. If you placed the TV Forum 'TV with quote marks' onto a website, minus the forum - all of us who frequent the site would still be able to tell what site it's from. Now compare that thought with this:

I'm not trying to be slating here, but really??? That isn't a strong logo no matter how big its plastered onto a website. Since moving from Website Baker I have to say, in my opinion TV Live as a brand *has* weakened. I know you may take offence to hearing this, but its getting beyond a joke with these weekly rebrands (and before I get shouted at and told it isn't a regular thing for a re-brand on TV Live, its so regular even Google Cache can't keep up with some of the branding changes). Another week and its either another logo design or another website launch. TV Live Presents, TV Live Extra.... it's all bulk which ends up with skeleton sites weakening the brand (you rebrand that often people even nab your Twitter usernames now as a joke - tvliveextra). I mean, TV Live Extra could quite easily have been placed at extra.tv-live.org.uk if you wanted too (cause lets be honest the whole site mustn't be bigger than 50MB ), but instead you created a separate website with separate Wordpress installation. In some ways I feel you've completely lost track of the original TV Live. You've now got into your head that it's all about the 'Network of TV Live Websites' when in actual fact most people couldn't give a toss about matching branding and separate domains. TV Live News? It's a glorified feed reader and most people would rather get their news direct from the media outlets themselves. And TV Live On Demand - Nice idea but at the moment with the royalty free backing music and the 'chop and cut' editing it makes it sounds like a kids postcast stuck on YouTube. If I were you I'd focus on the Wiki and TV Live as they're strong brands that can be saved from this constant rebranding but only if you work on it now. Jonny created a fantastic brand design for TV Live in 2010 so for God's sake let him work on it once again, cause its clear that the branding which has been conceived in the past few weeks online would be the type of stuff to get slated in The Gallery over here.

Edit: And for the Google Cache point - heres what previous re-brands of yours, Google still has online:

Last edited by james on 19 January 2013 9:47pm - 2 times in total
VMPhil8,874 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
I'll just say - I really liked the logos that fit in and used the same design as the TV Live logo. Kept consistency across the network of websites and looked good too.

I do think the previous ones and the new ones introduced are not as strong or identifiable.

EDIT: These ones are what I'm talking about:

Put The Telly On (previously nok32uk) 9,190 posts since 23 Feb 2004
Meridian (South East) South East Today
I'll just say - I really liked the logos that fit in and used the same design as the TV Live logo. Kept consistency across the network of websites and looked good too.

I do think the previous ones and the new ones introduced are not as strong or identifiable.

EDIT: These ones are what I'm talking about:

I agree. I don't know why you changed it all Rob? That said the main TV Live site and twitter is fantastic and I do like the podcasts idea but I'd like more to be done with them as opposed to just Rob reading out the media news.
youtube.com/putthetellyon1
Critique3,050 posts since 9 Aug 2009
Anglia (East) Look East
I agree with all of the points made here, really. The logos really do seem to change on a weekly basis, and generally aren't improvements on their predecessors. And I do think the idea of 'the TV Live network' has became far too prominent - something in the balance has changed so that the site itself is more important than the content on it.

Also, I think there's a problem where you're trying to do too much - TV Live doesn't need to be a network, but you're trying to force it to become so. TV Live Presents is a nice idea, but has been used only a handful of times, and doesn't really make sense, compared to what everything else on the site is doing - I don't think TV Live is where it should be. Also, and this might just be my opinion, but I don't really understand the need for Liveblogs and TV Live Extra - people that Liveblog things with a decent following have that following because they are a high-profile figure or add something to it - one opinion and some tweets isn't that. And seeing as TV Live Chat has failed the past three times, due to a lack of interest, I don't see why you keep trying to flog that dead horse.

I think you should scale it back to the core - TV Live and TV Live Wiki really are all you need. TV Live doesn't need to be a jack of a trades, and was successful before it tried to do so.

I know it sounds like I've taken the opportunity to attack, but I think this needed to be said.
623058: it just seems like your an mp3 whore
rob7,246 posts since 7 Apr 2001
Meridian (South) South Today
I know it sounds like I've taken the opportunity to attack, but I think this needed to be said.

You are the only person who seems to have a problem with what I'm doing with TV Live, and that's a shame.

The live-blogs are proving popular, and are not going anywhere.

The only two sites that aren't proving popular are Presents and Chat, and they're going to be closed down today.

News is being shut down as well.

I appreciate nok32uk's comments about the podcasts, and I think they can be improved, and I'm hoping to make changes to the podcast in coming weeks.

Quote:
(you rebrand that often people even nab your Twitter usernames now as a joke - tvliveextra)

That address (and other related spoof addresses) was taken by Callum Precious, a notorious nuisance to me and other presentation websites.
Last edited by rob on 20 January 2013 6:12am - 2 times in total
Ident Central / The new home of TV Presentation
www.identcentral.co.uk
rob7,246 posts since 7 Apr 2001
Meridian (South) South Today
I've decided to shut Presents, Chat and News as well as the associated Twitter accounts, except for @tvlivenews which will remain in operation.

I do appreciate what you guys have said, and I take the criticisms you've had about what I've tried to do. It was fun while it lasted...
Ident Central / The new home of TV Presentation
www.identcentral.co.uk
VMPhil8,874 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
It does appear as though we've all ganged up on Rob at the same time - I think most of us understand TV Live is a fantastic resource and don't want it to go away, but people are concerned that the site might be expanding a bit too much without enough content to fill those sites (even if a few people could have put their point across a bit less aggressively). Things like TV Live Presents are a great idea but you can reach a wider audience by posting here in The Gallery, and of course all of us are on TV Forum so there was little incentive to post on TV Live Chat.

It's important to say though that I'm sure everyone's got an opinion on how to run a site (after all, everybody's a critic!) but it's mainly up to Rob and the other contributors to TV Live to decide the fate of these sites and whether they are happy with them and if they are popular enough to keep running. Smile
james
It does appear as though we've all ganged up on Rob at the same time

In The Gallery Phil, it would be called constructive critisism. As I say over there, he doesn't have to listen, but some of us over here know what we're talking about when it comes to brand creation, website management and re-constructing a company. Lets be honest the main reason there was all of those sites was so Rob could have the title of 'The TV Live Network' - I mean he even makes a comment about it in his latest OBIT podcast (when putting the TV Live Podcast into wind-down mode for the coming few weeks, whilst making it sound like the death of a royal with the tone he has adopted). The best way to deal with these comments would have been to announce the closure of the failing parts of the company/brand/website and move on without dwelling on the fact. However with Rob, everything is a drama.

From TV Live News:

Quote:
The TV Live News website has been closed, but the Twitter feed will remain in operation. Thank you to everyone who made the site a success.

It wasn't a success and that's why it closed down. Harsh to say it like that, but it's what everyone else is thinking.

From TV Live on Demand - Quotes from Rob:

Quote:
'This is TV Live On Demand, I'm Rob Francis. I did have a podcast prepared for this fortnight but I've decided that I really can't be bothered to publish it.'

That, my friend is a baby throwing their toys out of the pram. Rob as far as I'm concerned, attack Critique saying he's slating the site - whinge about us on Twitter and Tweet responses to what seems to be a national mourning for the closed sites (check Twitter - search '@tvlive' for what little comments there have been on the closed sites) and call some of the members of TV Forum trolls. At the end of the day you needed a wake-up call in order for the site to improve, and its your prerogative as to whether you listen or not. We've done our bit - now it's over to you.