The Newsroom

ITV News London

RTS Nations and Regions News Programme of the Year (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bazinga
I'm not sure about a few things here..
Has ITN got a fixed contract for London tonight and by that I mean when does their contract run out?
who decided to make the job cuts and move to a vr studio itv or itn?
MA
Macalolo
Has ITN got a fixed contract for London tonight and by that I mean when does their contract run out?

I believe it was ITN fronted by Deborah Turness. The plan is to incorporate more ITV news resources to London Tonight, we have already seen this with reporters such as Sejal Karia and Emily Morgan filing reports for London Tonight. The crossing of resources will probably be even more evident with the upcoming revamp. The moving to the vr set was part of the overall redundancy measures and as a result 18 jobs, 15 London 3 national will go. London Tonight all in all will be reduced to 21 members of staff.
BA
bazinga

I believe it was ITN fronted by Deborah Turness. The plan is to incorporate more ITV news resources to London Tonight, we have already seen this with reporters such as Sejal Karia and Emily Morgan filing reports for London Tonight. The crossing of resources will probably be even more evident with the upcoming revamp. The moving to the vr set was part of the overall redundancy measures and as a result 18 jobs, 15 London 3 national will go. London Tonight all in all will be reduced to 21 members of staff.

So can itv do nothing about it?
BR
Brekkie
ITV are getting what they pay for - if they want a better service they need to pay ITN more for it.

OFCOM could in theory strip the ITV London licence(s) from them if they're not providing an adequate news service, but ITV Plc know there is more chance of Boris Johnson and Amy Childs becoming man and wife than that happening.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
ITV are getting what they pay for - if they want a better service they need to pay ITN more for it.

This is correct. People need to remember that ITN is merely a provider of services and resources for their clients. ITV, as the client, has overall control of the direction of its news output.
BE
Benjamin1
How can ITV make Robin McCallum 'redundant' (if the position is still there essentially)?
MA
Macalolo
How can ITV make Robin McCallum 'redundant' (if the position is still there essentially)?

Martin Stew is the cheaper version, he works weekends too.
MA
Matrix

I think the point that is being made is that if someone is effectively 'replaced' this can be seen as 'constructive dismissal'.
MA
Macalolo

I think the point that is being made is that if someone is effectively 'replaced' this can be seen as 'constructive dismissal'.

And to be fair it may be constructive, I have no problem with Robin. However the way that Robin went without any on screen viewer totally in my eyes undermines the viewer, same to Ben who just went out without send off. Whatever loyal fan base there is for a program they will never be made aware of the departure of two of the recognised names on London Tonight that viewers genuinely liked. The uproar on twitter surrounding Robins departure reflects this. Sian Lloyd even tweeted something about "show the ******* that you won't get defeated".
RO
rob Founding member
Looks like the "London Tonight" brand is disappearing:

https://twitter.com/MattJF/status/289789656080461825

LO
LONDON
rob posted:

Looks as if it is staying to me, only changing studios again
MA
Macalolo
rob posted:

An absolute shame! But any brand that was once is no more these days after they've practically brought the show down to nothing.

Newer posts