TV Home Forum

STV awarded local TV licences for Glasgow and Edinburgh

GTV and ETV (January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
GMc
STV News posted:
STV has won the new local TV licences for both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

They are first of the new generation of local broadcasting services to be awarded in Scotland by media regulator Ofcom.

The separate licences for Glasgow and Edinburgh will see new services for the two cities broadcast free on terrestrial television.

STV, which holds the Channel 3 licence for North and Central Scotland, will run the services in partnership with universities, providing peak time content including local news and current affairs programming as well as magazine shows.
JO
Jon
I wouldn't be surprised if these services go on air as 'STV Edinburgh' and 'STV Glasgow'.
IS
Inspector Sands
Not exactly great for plurality, wouldn't it have been better to have someone new running these stations?
BU
buster
Not exactly great for plurality, wouldn't it have been better to have someone new running these stations?

Could it be potentially part of their "exit plan" should the Channel 3 side of things go pear-shaped? (or ITV-shaped)
:-(
A former member
Better Q: As STV won both, HOW bad were all the other companies Wink
IS
Inspector Sands
Could it be potentially part of their "exit plan" should the Channel 3 side of things go pear-shaped? (or ITV-shaped)

Like what, the licenses have just been renewed haven't they? Two tiny local licenses don't seem like much of a fallback to me
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Better Q: As STV won both, HOW bad were all the other companies Wink

Agreed, I think this just goes to show the lack of appetite/ambition for these licences.

Mind you STV comes across as a shoddy student-run station at the best of times, so maybe the actual students might be able to do somewhat better. I expect a cringefest of local council issues like potholes and litter to be put to air.
TR
TROGGLES
and how much of the licence fee are they going to get to 'set up' these stations? When it runs out how long before they shut?
MK
Mr Kite
What a bonkers decision. I'm not against STV at all, in fact, I like that they're still independent and how localized their news service is but surely the whole point was to offer the residents of Glasgow and Edinburgh something different. Really, they may was well not bother with the new channels and just beef up the subregional content across their two ITV franchises.
:-(
A former member
Maybe once this Local TV licences all goes T*** up, Stv may be able to transferre most of its content onto Ch3? have proper slots like 7.30 on some days for local shows in either Glasgow area or Edinburgh area etc?
JO
Jon
Maybe once this Local TV licences all goes T*** up, Stv may be able to transferre most of its content onto Ch3? have proper slots like 7.30 on some days for local shows in either Glasgow area or Edinburgh area etc?

And that would make sense would it?
DO
dosxuk

What's stopping them from doing this now? Oh yeah, the lack of an audience for the types of local programmes which these local TV stations are being set up for.

I maintain this entire scheme is a monumental waste of time, money and effort.

Newer posts