The Newsroom

Newscaster of the Year | Re-visited

Mid-Term Review (December 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVN
Best National News Presenter: Sophie Raworth
Best Regional News Presenter: Rachel Hodges (NWT)
Best News Programme: ITV News at Ten
Best News Channel: BBC News

Best Weather Presenter: Carol Kirkwood
Best Business Presenter: Juliette Foster
Best Music Package: Sky News
Best Graphics Package: Sky News

Hard as Nails: Nicholas Owen
Most Improved Presenter: Chris Rogers
Biggest Disappointment: Zeinab Badawi not yet having appeared a main bulletin (even as a relief!)
Best Discovery: Rachel Hodges on NWT
On the slide?: Cuts at the BBC will have a long-lasting effect
Understated but deserves a gong: Gavin Grey

Most missed, but not necessarily deceased: Juliet Dunlop, Michael Buerk (Alive) Mike Morris (Deceased)
News Story of the Year: 2012 Presidential Election
TV Forumer of the Year: BBC World

Overall Top of the Pops: Carrie Gracie
RI
Richard
Quote:
Most missed, but not neccessarily deceased: Moira Stuart - I think she'd be great for the Saturday/Sunday bulletins and certainly better than bringing on Tim Willcox or Clive Myrie as cover all the time.

The problem is - I don't think she's a trained journalist - she's a newsreader, which is fine for Radio 2, where she is (or Radio 4) but not for TV any more.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Quote:
Most missed, but not neccessarily deceased: Moira Stuart - I think she'd be great for the Saturday/Sunday bulletins and certainly better than bringing on Tim Willcox or Clive Myrie as cover all the time.

The problem is - I don't think she's a trained journalist - she's a newsreader, which is fine for Radio 2, where she is (or Radio 4) but not for TV any more.

I really don't think the Saturday and Sunday bulletins really necessitate a presenter with a journalism qualification. They are usually nothing more than an extended summary of the news with maybe a brief scripted "interview" with a reporter. And Moira seemed perfectly capable of reading such bulletins for two decades without anyone quibbling over her supposed lack of qualifications.
CA
Cando
Quote:

Indeed after BBC Breakfast dropped the newsreader position, Moira did a few weekend national shifts and sadly she was very poor at the live updates with journalists.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Quote:

I really don't think the Saturday and Sunday bulletins really necessitate a presenter with a journalism qualification. They are usually nothing more than an extended summary of the news with maybe a brief scripted "interview" with a reporter. And Moira seemed perfectly capable of reading such bulletins for two decades without anyone quibbling over her supposed lack of qualifications.

Moira's left???????????????? Crying or Very sad
JW
JamesWorldNews
http://www.the-latest.com/what-you-didnt-know-about-secretive-moira

Thread creep..........but an interesting read!

So.......any more votes for NOTY? The polls close soon.

156 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Three who've impressed me quite a bit lately:

David Foster - Al Jazeera English
Kamahl Santamaria - Al Jazeera English
Mike Embley - BBC World News

I appreciate they're all rather experienced and long serving news presenters. But, having lost a little bit of interest in World recently, I've found these three to be excellent in their delivery and abilities. No nonsense. No gimmicks. Just clean delivery of the facts.

Also worthy of a mention:

Shuilie Ghosh - Al Jazeera English
Lorna Dunkley - Sky News
Komla Dumor - BBC World
LJ
LJ_Warner
Best Newscaster on a News Programme: Charlotte Hawkins
Best Regional News Presenter: Anne Davies
Best News Programme: ITV News At Ten
Best News Channel: Sky News

Best Sports Presenter: John Desborough
Best Weather Presenter: Laura Tobin
Best Business Presenter: Stephanie McGovern
Best Music Package: BBC News
Best Graphics Package: ITV News

Hard as Nails: Eddie Mair
Most Improved Presenter: Naga Munchetty
Biggest Disappointment: Sky not relaunching with new on screen graphics and themes. Had this for too long now
Best Discovery: Surprisingly find 5 News quite intellectual at times! I know know...
On the slide?:
Understated but deserves a gong: Matt Teal, ITV National, ITV News Central and Sky News

Most missed, but not neccessarily deceased: Sir Alastair Burnet
News Story of the Year: Death of Baroness Thatcher, Daybreak were excellent
TV Forumer of the Year:

Overall Top of the Pops: ?? Unsure

Newer posts