TV Home Forum

UTV Christmas Presentation

(December 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Nice enough even if they are stock footage - though not sure about the music and the solid logo smack bang in the middle ruins them to some extent - would be better positioned near the bottom.
DB
dbl
I'm saying nothing... Laughing
WH
Whataday Founding member
I dont see anything wrong with using stock video. It's just the same as using library music. Many local tv stations around the world use istockvideo. What do you think its there for?
BA
bilky asko
I dont see anything wrong with using stock video. It's just the same as using library music. Many local tv stations around the world use istockvideo. What do you think its there for?

When you're crediting it to your creative team, it is a bit of a cheat.
CO
Colm
I watched the videos on YouTube before I came here, and my first thought on watching them was, "No way did they create those from scratch at Havelock House."

However, how they have used the stock footage is quite pleasant, and the Christmas version of the jingle works well in the idents.
PE
peterrocket Founding member

It's the risk you take with using that kind of material and there's nothing to stop other broadcasters using it. That's why stock libraries have 'buy out' clauses, so you pay a larger fee but retain exclusive use for so many months.

It then disappears off iStock for that duration so no-one would ever find out your secret or indeed, finding a rival channel use the same graphic in a promotion just to show you up.

12 days later

SC
SCBNI
Recorded this last night, thought it was rather funny! Julian gets caught a little off guard at the start of this in-vision link...

EO
eoin

It's the risk you take with using that kind of material and there's nothing to stop other broadcasters using it. That's why stock libraries have 'buy out' clauses, so you pay a larger fee but retain exclusive use for so many months.

It then disappears off iStock for that duration so no-one would ever find out your secret or indeed, finding a rival channel use the same graphic in a promotion just to show you up.

You're speaking in the abstract. The reality of this situation is that UTV has no reason to fear any of the things you've described. What's it to them if a few internet geeks find out they copied and pasted their idents? And who's going to use these graphics to "show them up"?

A cheat? Nobody, except a subset of posters here, cares who creates idents.

All that matters is that these idents are completely fit for UTV's purposes. These look great on screen, they're very Christmassy, and apparently they were cheap as chips. UTV evidently doesn't employ anyone capable of producing stuff like this, so buying a few stock backgrounds is one of the best decisions they've made in a long time branding-wise.
CR
ColonelRed
eoin posted:

You're speaking in the abstract. The reality of this situation is that UTV has no reason to fear any of the things you've described. What's it to them if a few internet geeks find out they copied and pasted their idents? And who's going to use these graphics to "show them up"?

A cheat? Nobody, except a subset of posters here, cares who creates idents.

All that matters is that these idents are completely fit for UTV's purposes. These look great on screen, they're very Christmassy, and apparently they were cheap as chips. UTV evidently doesn't employ anyone capable of producing stuff like this, so buying a few stock backgrounds is one of the best decisions they've made in a long time branding-wise.

Couldn't agree with you more, fair play to them.
WH
Whataday Founding member
There's been times in the recent past when ITV1 have shoved a few stars or snowflakes on top of its existing idents, and I often thought they couldve used stock video and slapped a logo on and it wouldve been a whole load more festive. At least UTV have made the effort, irrelevant of where the footage has come from.

Again, these stock video sites are meant for local tv companies to exploit, and UTV are just doing what they shouldve been doing for years. I imagine design snobbery has got in the way previously.
CO
Colm
Julian's been Flashing for Santa again this year.

(Not that kind, thank goodness.)
CO
Colm
Seems that Gilly and Jules have switched their shifts in Studio 3 this week - the former lampshading into "Emmerdale" a few minutes ago: "Welcome to Thursday night on UTV; it's not often you hear me saying that."

I foresee a similar pattern next week so Julian gets IVC duties on New Year's Eve and New Year's Night.

Newer posts