TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas Ident

Confirmed 1st TX 7pm Before The One Show (December 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
madmusician
I think that the BBC NI team are broadcasting to a smaller community and thus it can feel more "homely" - I think that all the Nations can afford to do this. For whatever reason, the Network is seen as bigger than the likes of the Advent Calendar that, to me, seemed quite intimate in terms of approach. I really like it, but can see why BBC One Network wouldn't do it. There'd be criticisms by people that it's not their area of the country/tradition/religion/type of home/etc. being represented and it does all seem a bit small-scale for the national broadcaster.

That's where the Showtime campaign comes in. I agree that it hasn't been executed particularly well, particularly on the ident front, but it's just continuing on from where the idents have been headed for the last few years now. From promoting an individual programme (Wallace and Gromit, Dr Who) to all the network's stars (last year) to a far more involved campaign.

I'm not saying I agree with it, and I love the effort that BBC NI put into their pres, but I can't see it being adopted on a Network level for those reasons.
GE
George12345
I think that the BBC NI team are broadcasting to a smaller community and thus it can feel more "homely" - I think that all the Nations can afford to do this. For whatever reason, the Network is seen as bigger than the likes of the Advent Calendar that, to me, seemed quite intimate in terms of approach. I really like it, but can see why BBC One Network wouldn't do it. There'd be criticisms by people that it's not their area of the country/tradition/religion/type of home/etc. being represented and it does all seem a bit small-scale for the national broadcaster.

That's where the Showtime campaign comes in. I agree that it hasn't been executed particularly well, particularly on the ident front, but it's just continuing on from where the idents have been headed for the last few years now. From promoting an individual programme (Wallace and Gromit, Dr Who) to all the network's stars (last year) to a far more involved campaign.

I'm not saying I agree with it, and I love the effort that BBC NI put into their pres, but I can't see it being adopted on a Network level for those reasons.

Kids building a snowman, kids playing in the snow then it zooms into a bauble on a Christmas tree hardly contraversial in religious terms or tradition or type of home. 90-95% of brits celebrate christmas so it's a no brainer for me
MA
madmusician

Kids building a snowman, kids playing in the snow then it zooms into a bauble on a Christmas tree hardly contraversial in religious terms or tradition or type of home. 90-95% of brits celebrate christmas so it's a no brainer for me

That was the Advent Calendar I was referring to there...

But, the point still kinda stands - it's very nice and Christmassy, but it's slightly amateurishly shot and Network would undoubtedly want something flashier. Not saying that I agree, but that's an argument I can foresee.
PC
p_c_u_k
I think Northern Ireland's ident is well shot. Only if you look very closely can you spot a slight lack of polish, but that's fine, it almost makes it feel more homely.

I do wish BBC Scotland would make such an effort. Mind you, the advent calendar idea probably only works in such a small nation. I can't imagine caring about some kid who'd sent in something from Fraserburgh, whereas Northern Ireland is far smaller.

But yes, well done to the NI team.
BR
Brekkie

That was the Advent Calendar I was referring to there...

But, the point still kinda stands - it's very nice and Christmassy, but it's slightly amateurishly shot and Network would undoubtedly want something flashier. Not saying that I agree, but that's an argument I can foresee.

You can definitely tell it hasn't had thousands spent on it, and the end resolve shot of the bauble does feel like it could have been cut in from a different ident, but it still does the job better. It'll be interesting to know when BBC NI commissioned these - before or after they'd seen the networks efforts?

P.S. Is their a second version too - on Digital Spy someone mentioned there was a version with kids decorating a tree shown before Bargain Hunt at 1pm, but whether they're getting confused between a snowman and a Christmas tree I don't know.
DE
denton
Not decorating a tree, but there is another shorter version.
JA
JAS84
Nobody mentioned it yet, but the music on the NI ident was recycled from Snowball.
CA
Cavan
JAS84 posted:
Nobody mentioned it yet, but the music on the NI ident was recycled from Snowball.

I did the moment it aired!
Quote:
Ooh! The BBC One NI Ident just on now had the 2006 snowball ident music in it!
GB
GavBelfast
Don't forget that Northern Ireland also came-up with special Titanic-themed idents earlier this year, on both One and Two, which also involved 'reclycling' music from past idents, and that these have continued to run on occssion.

Clearly I do not know if such things have to be "run past Network", but I'd hope the folks in Belfast have a reasonable degree of latitude that is merited by their level of effort and enthusiastic approach!

Smile
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Interesting - BBC wanting personalised Christmas greetings to air on BBC One - just seen one before MOTD2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p011kvk4/features/message
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Interesting - BBC wanting personalised Christmas greetings to air on BBC One - just seen one before MOTD2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p011kvk4/features/message

Yes, sounded quite awkward when the anno here started by saying "We're feeling festive here on BBC One SCOTLAND", then went on to wish Grace from Coventry's family a very Merry Christmas.

Of course, she may have family in Scotland but it didn't sound right (and presumably also sounds a little odd in the other nations too) where you'll have local announcers reading out festive greetings which may be from another part of the UK. I'm not taking umbradge with the greetings btw - I'm not a nationalist here.

Also making an appearance in the same junction, in Scotland at least:

Not seen a VT clock in ages.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I think Northern Ireland's ident is well shot. Only if you look very closely can you spot a slight lack of polish, but that's fine, it almost makes it feel more homely.

I might be going against the grain here, but I think the NI stuff looks pretty naff. Obviuosly fake snow, kids looking lost, then a bauble appears out of nowhere. It might be percieved as being better than the network by some, but I think that's only in comparison. On it's own, it still looks like something terribly ITV-region (and not in a good way).

I don't care for the Showtime campaign, if you can even call it that. I'm still not over my initial confusion of seeing Shrek on screen, then him being shouted at by Rob Brydon. I'm still not even sure why Rob Brydon is around, am I missing something. Is he the new face of BBC One? Is he the face of Christmas? huh?

However, in terms of simplicity and execution, the snowflake and Christmas tree sparkling idents are okay.

Newer posts