The Newsroom

Hurricane Sandy

(October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
The Weather Channel (which is a sister channel of NBC) has been providing pretty good coverage all evening, including the use NBC News' pool of reporters.

As mentioned back a few pages, they're streaming on YouTube too: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMU2qwCVag&feature=player_embedded#!
GE
Gareth E
The Weather Channel (which is a sister channel of NBC) has been providing pretty good coverage all evening, including the use NBC News' pool of reporters.

As mentioned back a few pages, they're streaming on YouTube too: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMU2qwCVag&feature=player_embedded#!

. . . and they've just reported that there is currently 3ft of water on the floor of the NYSE.
WO
Worzel
CNN reporting that the NY Stock Exchange is under 3ft of water. Not good.
IS
Inspector Sands
The subways and other train tunnels are filling up with salt water too which isn't good and will take a good while to fix/clear up - the salt will cause big problems with electrical contacts.

A great photo that's going around is this of the inside of Hoboken PATH station where there's water pouring down the lift shaft into the ticket hall: https://twitter.com/PANYNJ/status/263089494805327872/photo/1 Shocked
KN
knack

. . . and they've just reported that there is currently 3ft of water on the floor of the NYSE.

Just been rebutted by NYSE apparently.
WO
Worzel
Well it's now 2:45am, and it's not looking good across various areas including New York City and Atlantic State.

BBC World News/BBC News channel coverage has been non existent
Sky News doing a fantastic job with Martin Stamford and utilising the news wall
CNN, far too OTT.
Fox News, very good which makes a change
Bloomberg, dipping in now and again
IS
Inspector Sands
knack posted:

Just been rebutted by NYSE apparently.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/as-sandy-storms-ashore-twitter-becomes-an-often-unreliable-source-of-information_b152452
GE
Gareth E
NBC Today streaming live:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49595163#49595163
PE
Pete Founding member

CNN as usual for American news in such events has far too much information on the screen - currently 3 different animations, including a pointlessly tiny looping map, multiple fonts and layers that don't line up. Just looks awful

are they displaying this information in the horrible way CNNi do by shooting the screen in the studio at an awkward angle giving a vile "I'm recording this off the telly for youtube" effect
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Well it's now 2:45am, and it's not looking good across various areas including New York City and Atlantic State.

CNN, far too OTT.

There's no such place as Atlantic State.

Do you mean New York State and Atlantic City?

I left the TV on through the night. I was hugely annoyed by the poor microphone technique of all the US broadcasters. One silly rerporter used a hand to hold her hat on and held the microphone about 8" from her mouth. All we heard was the rush of the wind.

When Amanpour hosted her hour, she told one of the reporters she could barely hear him - at which point he held the handheld mic to his lips and cupped it with his other hand - the instant result was he was audible and clear.

Why the hell didn't they do this as a matter of course?

Its annoying enough (and frankly ludicrous) that they stand them up to the waist in freezing water and driving wind for hours at a time - they could at least make sure they're briefed on how to hold their mics.

Fools.
Last edited by Gavin Scott on 30 October 2012 12:12pm
CF
CatsFast101
I was impressed by Sky's coverage- I'm not Martins biggest fan but I think he did a good job and Phillipa tool over and she also very good. Thumbs up to sky news.
MA
Markymark

CNN, far too OTT.

There's no such place as Atlantic State.

Do you mean New York State and Atlantic City?

I left the TV on through the night. I was hugely annoyed by the poor microphone technique of all the US broadcasters. One silly rerporter used a hand to hold her hat on and held the microphone about 8" from her mouth. All we heard was the rush of the wind.

When Amanpour hosted her hour, she told one of the reporters she could barely hear him - at which point he held the handheld mic to his lips and cupped it with his other hand - the instant result was he was audible and clear.

Why the hell didn't they do this as a matter of course?

Its annoying enough (and frankly ludicrous) that they stand them up to the waist in freezing water and driving wind for hours at a time - they could at least make sure they're briefed on how to hold their mics.

Fools.

Indeed. However, even in the UK I doubt it would have been any different. All the UK broadcasters seem to have a hang up about using Coles Lip Mics in vision, which would be ideal for that environment,

Newer posts