TV Home Forum

Ulster Region DSO

10/24 October (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
How is it annoying though? For one, it doesn't talk.
DE
deejay
This is going off-topic again, but what did the English Regions do about that flash photography announcement into the Ten as their announcements are pre-recorded?

If there needs to be such a warning on the intro to the News, all the regions will be told to stay with the network or say it themselves. As most (if not all) english regions announcements are pre-recorded they will usually choose to stay with the network. Ever since the sport sequence has filled the regional slot during the One, Six and Ten heads, all network symbols now have 'regionally safe' words (whereas in the past they've always namechecked the London presenter).

Occasionally a region will opt vision only for the symbol, so that the network words go out over a regionally-branded symbol but that's quite hard to make it happen in synch!
WE
Westy2
This is going off-topic again, but what did the English Regions do about that flash photography announcement into the Ten as their announcements are pre-recorded?

If there needs to be such a warning on the intro to the News, all the regions will be told to stay with the network or say it themselves. As most (if not all) english regions announcements are pre-recorded they will usually choose to stay with the network. Ever since the sport sequence has filled the regional slot during the One, Six and Ten heads, all network symbols now have 'regionally safe' words (whereas in the past they've always namechecked the London presenter).

Occasionally a region will opt vision only for the symbol, so that the network words go out over a regionally-branded symbol but that's quite hard to make it happen in synch!

I'm assuming Presfax, or whatever its called, lists which ident/symbol would be used, so if a region did opt vision only, the correct vision should match the correct audio?
DE
deejay
Yes, PresFax does list which symbol NC1 have got lined up, what's more difficult to achieve is precisely running the regional symbol in synch with network if you're going to attempt to opt vision-only. To be honest it's hardly worth it just to get the region's name suffix underneath the BBC One logo!!
MK
Mr Kite
They do it though. Seen it at least a couple of times on BBC One North West.
MA
Markymark
Yes, PresFax does list which symbol NC1 have got lined up, what's more difficult to achieve is precisely running the regional symbol in synch with network if you're going to attempt to opt vision-only. To be honest it's hardly worth it just to get the region's name suffix underneath the BBC One logo!!

I'm still amazed that in the highly automated environment that Red Bee/BBC operate, why the region name can't be DSk'd locally frame accurately ?

The same thing is done for the phone numbers on the Eurovision SC, and that's manual !
SW
Steve Williams

I don't think it generally happens that flash photography is warned of before the news anyway, because the newsreader will always announce that anyway. I remember the first time it was in the announcement was on the strike day in 2010 and I assume that was because they didn't know what the standard practice was.
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think it generally happens that flash photography is warned of before the news anyway, because the newsreader will always announce that anyway.

They only do it before if there's flash photography in the opening headlines. Of course they should avoid putting it in the opening (as they do with graphic images) but sometimes it's unavoidable
MK
Mr Kite
Or the regions should just record a 'flash photography' announcement.

Or just do away with regional announcements altogether. As much as I like the idea of regional continuity, the North West announcements are usually the exact same thing recorded by some really dull-sounding voice. Surely there's someone in that great Mancunain metropolis who sounds better. Live would certainly be nice too!
MA
Markymark

Or just do away with regional announcements altogether. As much as I like the idea of regional continuity, the North West announcements are usually the exact same thing recorded by some really dull-sounding voice. Surely there's someone in that great Mancunain metropolis who sounds better.

Terry Christian ?
AM
amosc100
Or the regions should just record a 'flash photography' announcement.

Or just do away with regional announcements altogether. As much as I like the idea of regional continuity, the North West announcements are usually the exact same thing recorded by some really dull-sounding voice. Surely there's someone in that great Mancunain metropolis who sounds better. Live would certainly be nice too!

Forget the great Mancunian metropils, but I know I have a great commanding Boltonian voice that could the job as well! Wink
CO
Colm
Can I suggest Colin Weston? Or Charles Foster?

Newer posts