TV Home Forum

Bottom's Back! Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson to reunite

New for 2013 "hooligans island" (August 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
And so it should be - but I do wonder what prompted it... Sudden interest in the audience it used to attract? Or someone decided that actually, they didn't want Dave picking this up? Wink

I think it might've had something to do with Rik and Ade appearing on Let's Dance for Comic Relief. It certainly re-introduced them both to a primetime, Saturday night audience so they got the exposure, but anybody who hadn't seen Bottom might've not found it to their taste, especially Rik?

65 days later

FT
FrankT
Oh.... never mind. Sad

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a430895/rik-mayall-ade-edmondson-scrap-new-bottom-series-hooligans-island.html
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I never really found them funny. The Young Ones was good - I thought the rest of their stuff was poor.
PC
Paul Clark
The day before I heard the news, I caught the episode of Carpool with Ade. On the subject of writing another series, it seemed the real inspiration or the enthusiasm wasn't really there... At least not at that time, but that was only a couple of years ago.

So, that it's been scrapped is, in that respect, understandable.

I never really found them funny. The Young Ones was good - I thought the rest of their stuff was poor.

On reflection I'd probably agree with that, with the exception of some of their appearances together in The Comic Strip Presents... "A Fistful of Travellers' Cheques" is classic.
PT
Put The Telly On
Lets face it, not being ageist but they're both now in their mid-50s and Ade Edmondson has been happy wondering around in the genteel hills of the Yorkshire Dales for the past few months, perhaps they might prefer just writing a new sitcom instead of starring in it.
MD
mdtauk
Lets face it, not being ageist but they're both now in their mid-50s and Ade Edmondson has been happy wondering around in the genteel hills of the Yorkshire Dales for the past few months, perhaps they might prefer just writing a new sitcom instead of starring in it.

I think the idea of both of them being in a really crappy old people's home, sharing a room, with guest oldies, and a games room etc, would be a great way to bring the show back, and make their age play into the comedy.

Newer posts