TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
They just switched off Analogue with a click of the mouse and in the RTÉ transmission room all 4 channels went off at once.

A mouse blatantly not connected to anything!

A bit of a rush job, the presenter was interviewing the engineer and then had to quickly stop him talking in the last few seconds before the switch off.
NW
nwtv2003
They just switched off Analogue with a click of the mouse and in the RTÉ transmission room all 4 channels went off at once.

A bit of a rush job, the presenter was interviewing the engineer and then had to quickly stop him talking in the last few seconds before the switch off.

Indeed, it was a good programme to watch otherwise, the speeches were interesting and the VT on how they built the transmitter network was good too.
PA
patrickm
Loved the speeches - nice set in studio one, loved Mary fiddling with minister "rabbits" ears.
Aertel is still going strong here on cable. No sign of Aertel Digital yet.
CI
cityprod

A wireless mouse perchance?
ED
edmund
Analogue switch off from RTÉ One...
PA
patrickm
All very exciting news from RTE News today including a new live mid morning news show which will air on RTE1 from 9am to 11am each weekday morning. It's not breakfast TV, unions were against that or something, but it's better then Dr. Phil.

So far TV3 has owned the live morning/mid morning schedules.
IS
Inspector Sands

It probably was but she picked it up and moved it so I assume the cursor wasn't pointing at anything!

I suspect it was like the buttons that are used for switching on Christmas lights - just a prop, with someone else actually pressing the button.

It was a nice way to do it, many US TV stations did the same thing on their lunchtime news bulletins on their switch over day
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 26 October 2012 12:38am
JO
Jon
I feel you should be aware Baroness Clare Balding is going to be on The Late Late Show tomorrow.
WP
WillPS

It probably was but she picked it up and moved it so I assume the cursor wasn't pointing at anything!

I suspect it was like the buttons that are used for switching on Christmas lights - just a prop, with someone else actually pressing the button.

It was a nice way to do it, many US TV stations did the same thing on their lunchtime news bulletins on their switch over day

Talk of buttons that do nothing reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQaTzNpW1fo&t=6m10s
MA
Markymark

It must have been spoof, also you saw RTE 1 (along with 2/3/4) vanish on the monitor stack, before the analogue signal actually died, otherwise we'd have seen nothing !! Laughing

I've watched the whole programme on the RTE website, it was excellent I thought

Straightforward, technical enough not to patronise the technically minded, but also
not to go over the heads of the non technical. Recognition of the engineering
challenges required not only for DSO, but in establishing the original service 50 years ago,
And also a nod towards the equipment manufacturers, which is frankly extraordinary !!
Lastly,formal but relaxed and not stuffy.

Not withstanding BBC NI's Pres Dept, I can't imagine such a programme these days on UK TV,
without either turning it into some sort of joke, or dumbing the detail down to
nonsense.
RD
rdd Founding member
All very exciting news from RTE News today including a new live mid morning news show which will air on RTE1 from 9am to 11am each weekday morning. It's not breakfast TV, unions were against that or something, but it's better then Dr. Phil.

So far TV3 has owned the live morning/mid morning schedules.

Its not so big a departure when you consider that they were running a live news programme (Leader's Questions) for a large chunk of that slot two days a week anyway. Presumably the new programme will continue that coverage on Wednesdays and Thursdays when the Dáil is sitting.

I'd imagine this programme will be more like a rolling news programme than the traditional bulletin style, which will be a first for RTÉ to do on a regular basis. It'll be an interesting experiment (albeit one a large portion of people will probably never watch).
GE
Gareth E
RTE's latest attempt at an afternoon magazine show starts on Monday 5th November, coming live from Cork.

Sounds like a mix of the previous incarnations, 'Four Live' and 'The Daily Show' - with a respective presenter from each, as well.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/today.html

Newer posts