The Gallery

BBC Scotland Studio

A new set for Scottish local bulletins (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DF
DrewF
BBC Scotland's studio is looking a bit bland these days - it always has done in my opinion. I thought I'd try and bring it into 2012 with this idea. It's something I've put together in the past couple of weeks or so, tweaking at it bit by bit, but I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinion - then tweak it some more and then render it nicely. So please, any good/bad comments are much appreciated!

Reporting Scotland:

Sport or stand up presentation for Reporting Scotland:

And for Newsnight Scotland:

And Sunday Politics. Sorry for the poor quality backdrop - it's hard to come by without a presenter sat in front of it!

DK
DanielK
Excellent design, although the actual studio looks 'too' grey other than the blue at the side and top. Also, when drawing circles, right click on the edge, hit 'Entity Info' and add a zero to the number of segments, makes it more round!
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Seeing as how you didnt specify which of the Studios at Pacific Quay you were intending to build this in, I am assuming you intend this to fit into the 180 sq m of Studio C.

Part of the problem with studio mocks is that most people fail to take any notice of the one important piece of information needed to make a studio mock... the studio's dimensions.

Your set design would be too big to fit into Reporting Scotland's current studio.

You have failed to take into account the depth of the projector screens. Rear screen projectors need space behind them as is currently used in Studio C, and ISTR Barco cubes need a Fire escape route all around the edge of the studio. So a screen on the left hand side would thus make the set space smaller.

Unless you have detailed measurements of the studio and all the pieces of technology that will fit into it to make up your set, you are wasting your time. It is equivalent to creating a set of on screen graphics that ignores both safe areas and the screen dimensions.

The Design itself is visually okay but would presumably look better once rendered.
CR
Critique
Seeing as how you didnt specify which of the Studios at Pacific Quay you were intending to build this in, I am assuming you intend this to fit into the 180 sq m of Studio C.

Is Studio C, where I'm assuming Reporting Scotland is based, 180sqm big? That's huge, isn't it? RS can't use all of that, surely? Other things use the space too, then?
DO
dosxuk
You have failed to take into account the depth of the projector screens. Rear screen projectors need space behind them as is currently used in Studio C, and ISTR Barco cubes need a Fire escape route all around the edge of the studio.

This depends on the cube design. Some are designed to be maintained from the front, others are designed to be maintained from the rear. Some can be maintained from both. The fire route you refer to I assume comes from the TC7 installation, which is there because the studio requires a fire lane around the perimeter of any sets.

Pictures of N6 look like the cubes are almost up against the walls of the studio.

Quote:
Is Studio C, where I'm assuming Reporting Scotland is based, 180sqm big? That's huge, isn't it? RS can't use all of that, surely? Other things use the space too, then?

180m­² is only 18m x 10m, or 15m x 12m. Not a huge amount of space once you've got desks, chairs, screens and cameras in there.
CR
Critique

180m­² is only 18m x 10m, or 15m x 12m. Not a huge amount of space once you've got desks, chairs, screens and cameras in there.

Duh @ me. I was imagining something like a 60m x 60m studio, but then, that doesn't make 180m²...
DF
DrewF
It is true that I don't know the size of the studio - it was a guess on my part judging from on screen caps. I haven't made the studio ridiculously huge though and I don't think it can be far off the true size, hence why it's a little cramped. There is some space around the back of the studio too though you can't see it in the caps.

I'll try and scale things so that they are a little more realistic, based on the 180 square metre space that the studio has. Thanks for the comments.
BR
Brekkie
I know you're keeping things realistic by keeping to the BBC generic brief, but the grey means it still looks bland - and frankly the only way to get around a BBC studio looking bland is to completely break away from the current design.
DK
DanielK
When regions move away from Barco's, how can they fit a BH style set in their small studios?
DO
dosxuk
None of the regions have national style Barco cubes.
DK
DanielK
Yes I know, they're all in the same design of the national studio, but not the same size. When the national studio moves to BH, what will the next regional revamp look like?
JO
Jonny
Yes I know, they're all in the same design of the national studio, but not the same size. When the national studio moves to BH, what will the next regional revamp look like?

Well, from the images we've been privy to so far, the NBH sets (and indeed the entire look of News going forward) seem to be a logical evolution of what's on screen currently. Are the regional sets, the majority of which have only recently (and quite comprehensively) been altered to fit said style, really going to look that out of place?

Newer posts