TV Home Forum

Sky's catch-up service & EPG software updates

4OD now available (August 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Jon posted:
Are you sure the BBC were reluctant? Funny how Virgin Media had iPlayer and the Beeb are meant to be platform neutral.

Your guess is as good as mine! Laughing

The BBC were reluctant because Anytime+ was only available to Sky broadband customers. The only reason Sky made Anytime+ available to all customers was so that they could get BBC iplayer on Anytime+.
ST
Stuart
Jon posted:
Are you sure the BBC were reluctant? Funny how Virgin Media had iPlayer and the Beeb are meant to be platform neutral.

The BBC were reluctant because Anytime+ was only available to Sky broadband customers. The only reason Sky made Anytime+ available to all customers was so that they could get BBC iplayer on Anytime+.

It's been quite some time since Anytime+ (Now called 'On Demand') has been available across all ISPs.

I believe the challenge from BBC Trust was that Sky should show the corporate/colours/logo design and general plan of the iPlayer, which they have! (available later)

That has been demonstrated in the other 'players' now available: ITV Player/Demand5/Sky Player
BR
Brekkie
Jon posted:

The BBC use the platform neutrality rules as and when suits their motives. They've let BT Vision have the iPlayer even though subscribers would be restricted to BT Broadband, and I assume Virgin Media customers all get their internet through Virgin too.
UK
UKnews

The BBC use the platform neutrality rules as and when suits their motives. They've let BT Vision have the iPlayer even though subscribers would be restricted to BT Broadband, and I assume Virgin Media customers all get their internet through Virgin too.

Which is why in this case its got less to do with 'platform neutrality' and a lot to do with branding and making sure people realise they're accessing a BBC service, even if it is via Sky.

There are a number of factors that dictate which platforms the BBC will develop / offer iPlayer too- the number of people using that platform, how the platform owner wants to present it (including the user experience and the technical issues (could be DRM, coding, way the content is served up).

They haven't been against it being accessed via an ISPs broadband but they have been unhappy about it being part of an additional subscription - which is why it wasn't on BT Vision for a while and - I believe - was removed from the Xbox 360. Paying for access to a platform its offered on is one thing, making it part of an additional subscription is quite another. They've now got a situation where is widely available- on platforms where you pay upfront (games consoles, phones), others where its included as part of a service you subscribe to access (BT Vision, Virgin, soon to be Sky) - but not part of an additional charged package.

And before you start off again on the BBC and 'platform neutrality' the cutting back of the red button services on satellite is about costs above anything else. It now means they can have one less transponder - saving several £m a year - and the future of such services is via IP, so it makes a lot of sense. That's been pointed out to you a number of times but you still seem to feel you're hard done by because the BBC has had to save money and are cooking up some conspiracy theory when the main motivation is pretty clear.
NG
noggin Founding member
lanky posted:
If "deleted" programmes are not actually deleted they will take up room on the hard drive. Will there be a function to delete them from the "bin", as with computers?

You do know that that's exactly how computer hard drives work? Files are never actually ERASED when you delete them, but the portion of the disc where the file is located is marked as being "reusable" and thus is able to be written over when new files are created. I don't see how this is any different.

Yep - the concept of a 'wastebin' that needs to be 'emptied' is a nice metaphor, but doesn't actually represent what the computer actually does in many cases. Even when the basket has been emptied, the data in the file is usually on the hard drive still - just the link between the file and the data is removed from view. This is why no sane person would ever sell a PC with a hard drive that may have contained sensitive data on it - even if you've 'deleted' that data. In many cases even reformatting doesn't actually remove the data - just the links to it.

Some OSs (like Mac OSX) offer the option of writing zeros once - or multiple times - when you format a drive - but this can take HOURS... (Which is why OSs don't do it when you delete stuff normally)

(I usually replace the hard drive before I sell a PC if I'm concerned - and always do a deep delete and a re-install of the OS and Apps before selling any PC)
MI
Michael
lanky posted:
If "deleted" programmes are not actually deleted they will take up room on the hard drive. Will there be a function to delete them from the "bin", as with computers?

You do know that that's exactly how computer hard drives work? Files are never actually ERASED when you delete them, but the portion of the disc where the file is located is marked as being "reusable" and thus is able to be written over when new files are created. I don't see how this is any different.

Some OSs (like Mac OSX) offer the option of writing zeros once - or multiple times - when you format a drive - but this can take HOURS... (Which is why OSs don't do it when you delete stuff normally)

CCleaner does something similar, as does Eraser. Eraser will also let you choose the level of deep clean from 1 pass to 27 passes! I usually leave it to run overnight.
01tomki
So do I need register with Sky to get this? I have the 'on Demand' tab but no sign on itv ect. I have soo bought a wifi kit off amazon for £15. Is there anything else I need?
SK
Sky786
The EPG updates appear to be rolling out again - this time with the 'Deleted' tab to recover programmes, and the full catch-up service (though BBC iPlayer is flagged as Coming Soon).

Further to the images linked to on page one:

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-1.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-2.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-3.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-4.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-5.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-6.jpg

http://tig.gy/?m=SKYCU-7.jpg

How would one update to this?
MI
Michael

Did you REALLY need to quote Andrew's post, images and all, to ask that question?
SK
Sky786

Did you REALLY need to quote Andrew's post, images and all, to ask that question?

Rolling Eyes

Does it REALLY make a difference?
ST
Stuart

How many updates would you expect it to take to enable a feature? Confused
DO
dosxuk

Rolling Eyes

Does it REALLY make a difference?

Yes, because:
a) it ruins the flow of the thread
b) it only takes seconds to trim down a quote
and c) it's good netiquette to only quote relevant bits of the posts you're replying to - if, as in this case, you're not responding to anything in particular, don't quote anyone, just add it as a reply. Also, it's bad form to quote the whole of a post when that was the last post, unless your reply ends up on a new page.

You and phil94 have terible quoting skills, which just marks you out as childish, lazy or incompetant. Not attributes which endear you to other posters.

Newer posts