The Newsroom

BBC Parliament Loss of Sound

Power Failure at Millbank (August 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
BBC Parliament's sound failed earlier this afternoon (strangely enough, during the recorded evidence giving of Mark Thompson about the BBC).

With Parliament in recess and the gallery unmanned, how long will it take to fix the fault?
Last edited by Worzel on 20 August 2012 2:29pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Answer: yes.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
BBC Parliament's sound failed earlier this afternoon (strangely enough, during the recorded evidence giving of Mark Thompson about the BBC).

With Parliament in recess and the gallery unmanned, how long will it take to fix the fault?

If I remember correctly the last time I saw that on BBC Parliament, it also went out without any sound. Does BBC Parliament come from the same playout as the other channels or was it farmed off somewhere else?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Played out from Millbank. I think BBC Millbank now, rather than a Granada subsiduary (a hangover from the channel's heritage as The Parliamentary Channel)
DO
dosxuk
Didn't it once end up broadcasting a consumer-grade DVD player splash screen, or is it another low budget channel I'm thinking of?
WO
Worzel
Didn't it once end up broadcasting a consumer-grade DVD player splash screen, or is it another low budget channel I'm thinking of?

Yes, it was discussed here.

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-parliament-29847/page-8
MI
m_in_m
There were reported to be power issues at Millbank yesterday that caused The Westminster Hour to relocate to TVC. Not sure if this was related or not.
GE
thegeek Founding member
There were reported to be power issues at Millbank yesterday that caused The Westminster Hour to relocate to TVC. Not sure if this was related or not.

Yup, just another Millbank power failure to add to the tally. Though it's anyone's guess as to why there was a loss of sound before a loss of pictures. (That didn't make it to air though - it happened just after we'd switched to the TVC-based reserve.)
TV
TVN
In this day and age a channel being without sound for so long is completely unacceptable.

This could have inconvenienced literally tens of people.

Newer posts