TV Home Forum

Broadcasting House, Salford Quays & TVC

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Moz posted:
A video which shows some behind the scenes at NBH, including the new studios and the tracking cameras... http://t.co/Ep52ZARM

One thing I noticed - why are they having their meeting sat on worktops? Didnt they think about putting meeting rooms into W1?

Presumably like most meeting rooms in any organisation there will often be the need for more people to meet than there are chairs
RO
rob Founding member
Moz posted:
Does Euronews have a red ticker?

Yes, it has a red breaking news ticker.

http://www.tv-live.org.uk/wp/media/euronews/2011/euronews1103.jpg
SR
SomeRandomStuff
Moz posted:
A video which shows some behind the scenes at NBH, including the new studios and the tracking cameras... http://t.co/Ep52ZARM

One thing I noticed - why are they having their meeting sat on worktops? Didnt they think about putting meeting rooms into W1?

Presumably like most meeting rooms in any organisation there will often be the need for more people to meet than there are chairs

...and likely also people who don't want to sit on chairs and would much rather perch on the side of a table or whatnot to seem "kewl".
TR
trivialmatters
How are the fake reflections in the 'Hard Talk' studio floor achieved? It's not just mirroring the main image because the perspective on them seems to be correct - so wouldn't there need to be a camera below floor level to fake that? Or is my physics wrong?
IS
Inspector Sands

...and likely also people who don't want to sit on chairs and would much rather perch on the side of a table or whatnot to seem "kewl".

If there's not enough seats, sitting on a table at the side is preferable to sitting on the floor or leaning against a wall. It's not a case of looking cool
AC
aconnell
With the move to NBH, do you think we could see a gallery operation from NBH for an on-air bulletin to test the gallery and direction, while taking feeds of N6 from TVC, or is just simple piloting required at the same time as the Ten from TVC?

I don't know anything about this - the idea just popped into my head.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I would imagine it will be a pilot shadowing what's happening in N6 in the same way that they did a non-broadcast Match of the Day from Salford while TC5 was on air.

Given that the galleries in NBH are only set up to work with one studio floor, I suspect that having them work with a studio floor on the other side of London would complicate things so much it wouldn't be a very useful test.
NE
Neil
Hi fokks, new to this forum and been following this and other BBC NBH related threads for a while.

A question I've wondered since the BBC Breakfast move to Salford; does all the BBC News footage go via the News Centre at TVC including that broadcast on BBC Breakfast out of Salford? I've noticed a lot of feeds on Breakfast are all still SD or upscaled HD, obviously a lot of SNG feeds will still be SD only but did notice during the Olympics that there was a fair bit of non-Olympic news feeds done in HD (e.g. reporters stood outside Westminster). For OB's during Breakfast will these be downlinked direct in to Salford before playout or in to TVC and sent internally to Salford?
NG
noggin Founding member
Moz posted:

Given that lots of areas are still being kitted out - it could well be that the meeting rooms don't have chairs yet - or they weren't actually meeting in a formal meeting room but in a breakout area?

Having said that - meeting rooms are much scarcer in newer BBC buildings than they used to be - as they take up space that isn't utilised 100% of the time...
MW
Mike W
Neil posted:
Hi fokks, new to this forum and been following this and other BBC NBH related threads for a while.

A question I've wondered since the BBC Breakfast move to Salford; does all the BBC News footage go via the News Centre at TVC including that broadcast on BBC Breakfast out of Salford? I've noticed a lot of feeds on Breakfast are all still SD or upscaled HD, obviously a lot of SNG feeds will still be SD only but did notice during the Olympics that there was a fair bit of non-Olympic news feeds done in HD (e.g. reporters stood outside Westminster). For OB's during Breakfast will these be downlinked direct in to Salford before playout or in to TVC and sent internally to Salford?

They were sent via a Cable&Wireless Worldwide internal fibre network between the Olympic Park and Salford Quays, so internally using their contractor!
NE
Neil
Neil posted:

They were sent via a Cable&Wireless Worldwide internal fibre network between the Olympic Park and Salford Quays, so internally using their contractor!

Thought so for the Olympics stuff as it did all look really good in HD during the sportsday programming. Presumably the production for the news during the Olympics was all done in the N6 gallery at TVC which is HD?
NG
noggin Founding member
Neil posted:

Thought so for the Olympics stuff as it did all look really good in HD during the sportsday programming. Presumably the production for the news during the Olympics was all done in the N6 gallery at TVC which is HD?

No - N6 is entirely SD. None of the news galleries at TVC are HD - the move to W1 is when they get HD facilities.

The Lund Point BBC News studios for the Olympics were HD. For BBC One HD to get an HD News programme a non-News studio (TC4) in TVC had to be used (gallery only) to hub between Lund Point (in HD), Sport News in Salford (in HD) and N6 (in SD and upconverted) and produce a feed for BBC One. There were 3 or 4 directors involved (Lund Point, TC4, N6 and Salford Sport News) to make the show rather than the normal 1 or 2 (N6 and Salford Sport News)

The HD sources from Lund Point, Salford (and AIUI some local replays) were thus able to be routed to BBC One HD through TC4 staying in HD without going anywhere near SD N6. N6 was used to play-in SD material to TC4, and possibly also to sub-route SD outside sources?

Olympic Breakfast and Olympic Sportsday came from the BBC Sport studio, and the individual cameras in that studio were fibred up to Salford, to allow the HD galleries in Salford to produce the shows.

Newer posts