TV Home Forum

BBC Three

(July 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Repeats, repeats and more repeats!

To be expected really. Did BBC Choice have any new content before 7 before CBBC on Choice started?

Originally they started at about 5ish on weekdays and about 1 on weekends.

It used to open up with an Australian soap opera, something Beach. At weekends there were children's programmes, mainly archive such as Rentaghost and some linked by 'The Dog and Dinosaur Show' - Dog and Dinosaur were animated characters done by early motion-capture type technology
JA
JAS84
Sure the soap wasn't Neighbours? The BBC still had the rights back then.
JO
Jon
Oh come on! The Inspector is not a moron. Also why would they air it at the same time as BBC One?
BA
bilky asko
Was it Breakers?
IS
Inspector Sands
Jon posted:
Oh come on! The Inspector is not a moron.

Thanks. Very Happy
I have my moments though Confused

Was it Breakers?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakers_(TV_series)
JA
JAS84
Jon posted:
Oh come on! The Inspector is not a moron. Also why would they air it at the same time as BBC One?
5ish is just before, not at the same time. BBC One always aired it at 5.35pm.
SD
sda|

They had a live programme at 6pm called 'Backstage' presented by Faye Adams, roaming around TVC and other BBC sites with backstage gossip.

Does that sound more exciting than it actually was?
VM
VMPhil
I remember reading about Backstage on the old TV & Radio Bits site but apart from one screenshot of three presenters on a sofa I haven't seen any footage of it.

Another show I remember reading about was 'The RDA'. TV & Radio Bits had a whole page dedicated to pre-Stuart Murphy BBC Choice shows.
WP
WillPS
I remember reading about Backstage on the old TV & Radio Bits site but apart from one screenshot of three presenters on a sofa I haven't seen any footage of it.

Another show I remember reading about was 'The RDA'. TV & Radio Bits had a whole page dedicated to pre-Stuart Murphy BBC Choice shows.

Such a shame no version of that website exists any longer, and that they saw fit to force the Web Archive to delete/hide their cache.
IS
Inspector Sands

Such a shame no version of that website exists any longer, and that they saw fit to force the Web Archive to delete/hide their cache.

It is, it had lots of good stuff on there. The owner is a member on here,
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
The channel numbers will be the same as usual. CBBC normally has the daytime hours on BBC Three's frequency, so it's that what will effectively take Parliament's daytime hours. Parliament's channel number will just broadcast the standard red "off air" caption used during BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC and Cbeebies downtime.

CBBC and BBC Three appear to share the same transmission material (cue times when the CBBC DOG has appeared on BBC Three programming) so I presume there's a spare transmission "system" to run BBC Three all day and CBBC at the same time and feed the DOGs?

Of course this might be testing the waters for an extension of BBC Three's hours to see how it goes down. Looking at the schedule posted above, I think we can say it ain't gonna happen any time soon as even Total Wipeout repeats are now shared between BBC Three and CBBC.
SW
SWatson7
Extending BBC3's hours permanently wouldn't really be worth it. ITV2 and E4 both pick up the bulk of their audience in the evening and are both full of repeats or cheap imports during the day. BBC3 would end up the same way, but because they're only on air for 2 hours pre-watershed, most of the repeats would either be on a constant loop or they'd be 'stealing' shows from BBC1. They'd be criticised for not being value for money which is something the channel already faces, not to mention the problems BBC2 daytime is currently experiencing.

Newer posts