TV Home Forum

BBC 54 New Bridge St

(July 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
A6
Aylett 67
I had the pleasure of visiting these studios 3 years before they were closed and these really were typical of BBC studios in the smaller regions: makeshift facilities( a sixties extension was built onto a 19th century building that served as the studio centre), two very small studios, a cramped newsroom and dated equipment. However, the sheer professionalism of the staff in such a hellish building, it was said to be unbearable during a heatwave and freezing in winter, stood out and I met the legend that was Mike Neville.
Has anyone else visited former BBC premises like this? Mind you 54 New Bridge St was luxury compared to the tiny and cramped facilities Radio Cumbria used before 1993.
NW
nwtv2003
The closest thing I've been into is the new BBC building in Liverpool, basically the front is the BBC Shop, the back being the Radio Merseyside studio and I think upstairs might have been officies, unsurprisingly the building isn't very big, but they managed to house a small studio for North West Tonight a few times when they weren't able to use Oxford Road.
GO
gottago
The closest thing I've been into is the new BBC building in Liverpool, basically the front is the BBC Shop, the back being the Radio Merseyside studio and I think upstairs might have been officies, unsurprisingly the building isn't very big, but they managed to house a small studio for North West Tonight a few times when they weren't able to use Oxford Road.

I found out today that from above the building is supposed to represent radio waves.
A6
Aylett 67
Radio Cumbria, before the new and very nice studios were built opposite the castle, used one floor of a small seventies office block that was shared with the Inland Revenue and the DVLA. Even tinier were the two studios Radio Newcastle used in an office block in Newcastle with only a BBC sign to tell you of their presence. I did visit Radio Cumbria in 1991 when they were at Hilltop Heights and these days the elf and safety people would have a field day.

Newer posts