TV Home Forum

BBC WORLD

(June 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
damon
can anyone help me how can u receive bbc world in the UK?? I heard u can!
can someone help me Laughing Crying or Very sad
RH
RtH Founding member
You're able to watch BBC World, according to the TV Home TV FAQ page.

TV Home FAQ page posted:
If you point a 60cm dish at the Hotbird satellite at 13°E, you will be able to see the channel
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
For your sake, I hope BBC LDN does not read this thread!

Laughing

He's a cool guy, but has got the language and temper of a whore on a hot day in Paris.
HA
harshy Founding member
RtH posted:
You're able to watch BBC World, according to the TV Home TV FAQ page.

TV Home FAQ page posted:
If you point a 60cm dish at the Hotbird satellite at 13°E, you will be able to see the channel

Which is what I do, I think you can now receive the digital feed from Hotbird with your Sky Dodgybox!
MD
mdta
only problem is, that if you move your dish, you loose the other channels, like bbc1 etc
HA
harshy Founding member
Yeah, it's only recommended with a 80cm dish, if you trying it with Digital, if you are further south, or in the South East, you may get away with a 60cm dish.
HA
harshy Founding member
harshy posted:
Yeah, it's only recommended with a 80cm dish, if you trying it with Digital, if you are further south, or in the South East, you may get away with a 60cm dish.

Since you are a Northener, you will need an 80cm dish!
JU
judicator
Where can you buy these dishes, and can u get someone to install it 4 u?
HA
harshy Founding member
Yes, ask your local satellite dealer!
BB
BBC LDN
johnnyboy posted:
For your sake, I hope BBC LDN does not read this thread!

Laughing

He's a cool guy, but has got the language and temper of a whore on a hot day in Paris.

That's as me, but damon is new, and does not deserve to be shouted at because he is not yet used to the bizarre and twisted ways of the Forum.

damon, as my fellow forum users have explained, manual configuration is the key here. There is no way to get BBC WORLD through a pay-TV service, and this is for the simple reason that BBC WORLD is not authorised to broadcast in the UK.

BBC WORLD is a commercial channel funded, not by the licence fee, but by advertising and sales. It is a division of BBC Worldwide, the BBC's main commercial operation which is operated at arm's length from the Corporation itself. Although it has the generic BBC NEWS look, WORLD is for all intents and purposes a stand alone channel which purchases its news from BBC NEWS. It also makes some of its own programming, which is then featured on BBC NEWS 24 in the UK.

Because BBC WORLD is a commercial operation, it comes under the remit of the Independent Television Commission, which - as I'm sure you now know from the ITV Digital fiasco - has regulatory powers over the commercial sector, and is therefore in overall charge of broadcast licences for commercial television channels. The ITC has not granted BBC WORLD a broadcasting licence, and this is one reason for its absence from British TV screens.

The other reason is related to the BBC's obligations under its Royal Charter. Although the BBC is entitled:

"...to provide (whether alone or with any other person firm or corporation) sound and television broadcasting services and communication services (whether by analogue or digital means) and to provide sound and television programmes of information, education and entertainment funded by advertisements, subscription, sponsorship, pay-per-view system, or any other means of finance whether for reception by the general public free of charge or available on individual demand or encrypted..."

all of these must first be approved by the Secretary of State (formerly the Secretary of State for Heritage, Virginia Bottomley; now the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, the highly inept Tessa Jowell).

However, although you may note that the BBC may offer commercially funded services, they must be unique, or sufficiently different to anything else currently available in the market place (the main criterion upon which any new BBC service is based).

As BBC WORLD's territory is more than adequately covered by not only BBC NEWS 24, but also SkyNews and the ITN News Channel (in addition to CNN, MSNBC and all the other imported rolling news channels), there is simply not enough distinction between these offerings and BBC WORLD for the BBC to justify even attempting to squeeze it into the British market.

And because of this lack of distinction, there would be no chance of the Secretary of State approving its launch at any time in the near future. The only hope of BBC WORLD launching would be if BBC WORLD and BBC NEWS 24 merged (at the time of the next Royal Charter review in 2006) but this is highly unlikely because of the differences between the two channels' content. The differences are not sufficient to run the two channels in tandem, but they are significant enough to pose problems when trying to merge the content. NEWS 24 is much more a rolling news channel, where as WORLD is news and documentary/current affairs programmes. NEWS 24 has a much greater focus on UK news, whereas WORLD only touches on UK issues, and even then has to explain and deconstruct them for an international audience.

Some changes are possible, however, when the BBC moves its entire BBC NEWS operation to the brand new state-of-the-art News Centre at Broadcasting House in London in 2007.

But don't hold your breath...
HA
harshy Founding member
it's best to install a satellite, BTW have you got an analogue receiver Damon, it will help!
CW
cwathen Founding member
Quote:

it's best to install a satellite, BTW have you got an analogue receiver Damon, it will help!

Cheapest solution is to pop down to the booty, and get yourself some secondhand analogue kit. A perfectly serviceable (if old) receiver and dish can often be picked up for as little as £5-£10, then with some wall fixings and cable (I'd use CT100 - while this is higher quality cable primarily intended for digital satellite, it can be very beneficial to analogue installations too, especially if you're going for DIY aligning which may not be perfect), then tune your receiver to BBC World (11113V, and standard stereo audio at 7.02/7.20) and try to find Hotbird over an afternoon.

For hints I recommend www.analoguesat.co.uk

Total cost of job could easily be no more than £15.

Newer posts