TV Home Forum

ITV World Cup v BBC World Cup

(June 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Also, ITV didn't show adverts straight after the match either and went straight to Des, which is much better also.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Andrew posted:

One thing I don't like about either side's coverage, is the fact that they arn't in the stadiums, or in the case of France 98 on the BBC, actually in France with windows in the background.
I know the former is impossible with it being in two countries, Des would only be able to present about a 3rd of the games, but I would have prefered them to be based in Japan

If England or the Republic make it through to the semi finals, Des and Gary will both be on thier way to Japan and stadium studios.

Normally I prefer the BBC football coverage much more than ITV's, but you can't beat Des and judging from what I've seen so far, I do much prefer ITV's pudits (Venables, Gazza, Robson.. not sure about Neville though!!!). But the BBC really wins hands down with the commentry, for me Motty and Barry Davis are miles better than ITV's commentry.
DO
dotdotuk Founding member
Is it just me or are ITV deliberately putting a half second delay between the pictures and the commentary - making the commentators sound like they have "mystic Meg" type predicitive abilities Wink
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
dotdotuk posted:
Is it just me or are ITV deliberately putting a half second delay between the pictures and the commentary - making the commentators sound like they have "mystic Meg" type predicitive abilities Wink

That's just down to the fact that the commentary and pictures are coming through two different feeds, and audio feeds tend to travel that little bit faster.

They should try and do something to fix it, though - put in a delay or something.

You'd notice an even worse problem if you tried listening to the radio at the same time as watching the game on TV....
IH
I Hate HTV West
Andrew posted:
square eyes posted:
ITV actually got the best out of the deal for them. They wanted the Sunday England game because it was on at a weekend at 10.30am and would get the biggest viewing figures of the England matches and yield the greatest return in terms of advertisments. They also got 2 out of the 3 Republic of Ireland games as well. The other 2 England games are weekday kick-offs, ITV have the first repeat run of these games and will probably show them at 7pm in the evening (I think Emmerdale & Corrie are being shifted to 8pm on one day for this purpose).

Not quite, ITV's highlights of the other two England games is at 8pm, and in the case of the Argentina match, lasts a full two hours until 10pm.

Uh - no - that's actually QUITE right ... that's the exact reason ITV made the deal to show the Sweden game rather than the other two.
BU
burblebrox
Quote:
I bet even all this forum's ITV-haters wouldn't choose Five Live over ITV1 this time...?

I must admit I loathe ITV's commentators - it got to the point where I switched the sound off the ITV picture and put Radio Five on for sound - it was much better (except their commentary IS about a second ahead of the pictures, which was wierd)

I think both the presentation teams are poor this time, probably becuase they haven't been allowed on a trip to Japan/Korea. Des looks decidedly bored, and thoroughy embarrassed by Gazza - the viewing figures for the opening game were appalling, and Des's woodenness at the top of the programme just made me switch off. BBC is no better - Gary Lineker is obviously ill and shouldn't be at work, he sounded like he'd just had his voice pebble-dashed yesterday.

Back on ITV though the Gabby-sofa is a real pain, what with the ads there's little enough time for proper discussion as it is without having this pointless sideshow going on at the other end of the studio.

Both sides are trying to out-do each other with how much padding they can put in before the start of a match - two hours is an awful long time for a programme to be on air and still manage to say nothing constructive.
HA
harshy Founding member
burblebrox posted:
Quote:
I bet even all this forum's ITV-haters wouldn't choose Five Live over ITV1 this time...?

I must admit I loathe ITV's commentators - it got to the point where I switched the sound off the ITV picture and put Radio Five on for sound - it was much better (except their commentary IS about a second ahead of the pictures, which was wierd)

I think both the presentation teams are poor this time, probably becuase they haven't been allowed on a trip to Japan/Korea. Des looks decidedly bored, and thoroughy embarrassed by Gazza - the viewing figures for the opening game were appalling, and Des's woodenness at the top of the programme just made me switch off. BBC is no better - Gary Lineker is obviously ill and shouldn't be at work, he sounded like he'd just had his voice pebble-dashed yesterday.

Back on ITV though the Gabby-sofa is a real pain, what with the ads there's little enough time for proper discussion as it is without having this pointless sideshow going on at the other end of the studio.

Both sides are trying to out-do each other with how much padding they can put in before the start of a match - two hours is an awful long time for a programme to be on air and still manage to say nothing constructive.

At least we get to see Gabby legs! Cool
MG
MikeG
Have to say, it's BBC for me. Only because they offered interactive elements and seem to be more committed than ITV!

Have to say though, ITV were very good with today's match.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Has anyone with Capture facilities captured the opening titles yet?

I notice that out of the 'big 3' presentation websites, neither have them yet, Which seems unusually slow off the mark than usual Very Happy

Often new items are on the web before I see them on screen! (The ITV1 Long version of the Jubilee Ident for example!)
MI
Mich Founding member
Well i'm usually BBC through and through but ITV have done very well. Their studio is great (very Central Newsy! [it is being produced by carlton isn't it!], I havn't seen their astons or titles yet, although their breakbumpers are annoying (although i'm not minding ads this year with the Addidas ones and the Coke one!). The BBCs astons are great, as is their introduction (the train part is VERY reminicent of ITV 1998), their studio is poor and i'm generally not a great fan of that manga style art so the promos do annoy me.
Overall on content the BBC win although ITV have tried.
PE
Pete Founding member
The promo are quite good IMO. They are much more professional than proper japanese animation. If you look when the man switches on the TV his movement is detailed and other things are happening. Plus the colour is better. The people are too tall which is in keeping with the style.

Why do the japanese do animation so poorly? Being so close to all the cheap labour places you'd expect nice stuff.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
So ITV1 has broken a few records in it's coverage of the England match on Sunday.

The highest ever audience for a Sunday morning programme, 14m and 84% of all people watching TV yesterday morning - the biggest share of the audience for ITV ever.

So good news for ITV and it's advertisers, I expect this was exactly the reason why this game was chosen.

Newer posts