TV Home Forum

Another Carlton News presenter on Sky News

(May 2002)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TS
TSW Man
I saw Lorna Dunkley from Westcountry Live presenting the overnight bulletins on Sky News last night.

Do Carlton and Sky have some sort of deal with their local news presenters doing overnights?

I mean, Jo Malin presents that slot sometimes.
CO
Cornerstone
I'd assume they're freelancers. So maybe it's just that Carlton and Sky use freelancers as well as their own employees (?).
IS
Isonstine Founding member
I believe the presenters are actually employed by Carlton but have special deals going which allows them to present some shifts on Sky News.
NE
newsat7
It is simply that these presenters can do freelance work there is no deal with Carlton and BskyB its just the case that Sky News is short of presenters at the moment and they are going through the cycle of trying new people. Steve Dixon is now part of the daytime team so the overnight slot (which is always used for tryouts not only on presenting but also directing, producing etc...) is open for some local presenters to break through to national newscasting.

Sky is going through a phase of finding new faces, some of which have included 5 News' Martin Popplewell, Anglia News' Nick Quarashi, Westcountry Lives' Lorna Dunkley, Central News at Six's Jo Malin and Central News' Lisa Hazelhurst.
MG
MikeG
OT regarding Sky and Carlton and concerning ITN and the BBC but:

Is Tim Wilcox full time at the BBC? I see or hear him nearly every day (presenting last Friday morning and in reports like the WTC one today)! If so a very welcome addition - I rather like him - but I assumed he was freelance and would be only on every so often.

Also, Simon Vigar. Is he still freelance or has he been given a full contract - he also seems to be on a lot.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Where is Bob Friend ? Confused
AN
Andrew Founding member
newsat7 posted:

Sky is going through a phase of finding new faces, some of which have included 5 News' Martin Popplewell, Anglia News' Nick Quarashi, Westcountry Lives' Lorna Dunkley, Central News at Six's Jo Malin and Central News' Lisa Hazelhurst.

and North East News's Jonathan Morrell don't forget!

Newer posts