TV Home Forum

BBC Digital / Analogue Continuity

(June 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
DAS Founding member
Could somebody tell me what the differences are between digital and analogue continuity on BBC ONE (or BBC TWO). What times are they different/same, and what exactly are the differences?

Also, are broadcasts on Digital/Analogue the same or simultaneous if you know what I mean?
RW
RW
DAS posted:
Could somebody tell me what the differences are between digital and analogue continuity on BBC ONE (or BBC TWO). What times are they different/same, and what exactly are the differences?

Also, are broadcasts on Digital/Analogue the same or simultaneous if you know what I mean?

When I first got digital two years ago the main differences were that the announcer would usually mention if a programme was in widescreen, and there was much more cross trailing for BBC Choice/Knowledge/News 24. However more recently I've noticed that they hardly ever do this any more and analogue and digital continuity are now more or less the same.

I believe the analogue continuity suite is closing this year, and all continuity will come from the digital continuity suite, which is going to leave a lot of spare announcers. Perhaps they could go and work on Choice and Knowledge which have to suffer pre-recorded announcements.

There is a very subtle difference between analogue and digital BBC1 and BBC2 - on digital the 'Subtitles' caption on idents appears at the same time as the caption at the bottom; on analogue the caption is smaller and is there from the start of the ident.
JO
johnny
RW posted:
DAS posted:

When I first got digital two years ago the main differences were that the announcer would usually mention if a programme was in widescreen, and there was much more cross trailing for BBC Choice/Knowledge/News 24.  However more recently I've noticed that they hardly ever do this any more and analogue and digital continuity are now more or less the same.

I believe the analogue continuity suite is closing this year, and all continuity will come from the digital continuity suite, which is going to leave a lot of spare announcers.  Perhaps they could go and work on Choice and Knowledge which have to suffer pre-recorded announcements.

There is a very subtle difference between analogue and digital BBC1 and BBC2 - on digital the 'Subtitles' caption on idents appears at the same time as the caption at the bottom; on analogue the caption is smaller and is there from the start of the ident.

Aint the BBC just getting lazy
DO
dominicmaud
During daytime programming on BBC ONE the 'Subtitles' caption at the top-right hand corner appears at the same time as the caption at the bottom.
DA
DAS Founding member
That has plagued my mind - sometimes 'Subtitles' appears with the logo and sometimes without. Now I know.
RW
RW
dominicmaud posted:
During daytime programming on BBC ONE the 'Subtitles' caption at the top-right hand corner appears at the same time as the caption at the bottom.

This is because until midday all continuity comes from the digital suite.
DA
DAS Founding member
So on digital, what trailer is played between the end of the BBC News at 6 and the weather? Usually its a regional programme, so what is the 'regional' programme on Digital?
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Regional news is replaced by UK Today at all times when regional news should be on BBC ONE/TWO.

Its a roundup of the main stories from around the UK Today. Its not brilliant, its in the corner of N6 and consists of a desk and a chromakey screen. Oh and a presenter of course. Smile

Its done on a shoestring, as I said in another thread it uses the national news' camera's!
SU
SpiringUnhacked
11.15am Sunday BBC2 analogue - The Super League Show, digital - Star Trek. Why?
IS
The Super League Show is made by BBC North and is therefore a regional programme. Generally, BBC TWO South East programmes get on BBC TWO digital.

Star Trek is whats shown on the network whilst BBC North opts out and shows the Super League Show.
SU
SpiringUnhacked
Isonstine posted:
The Super League Show is made by BBC North and is therefore a regional programme. Generally, BBC TWO South East programmes get on BBC TWO digital.

Star Trek is whats shown on the network whilst BBC North opts out and shows the Super League Show.
Why doesn't the ident say North then? And even in the North region, you still get Star Trek on Digital!
IS
BBC regions are not yet in action on any digital platform.

You can only receive nations (NI, Wa, Sc) on digital platforms. Digital Cable has BBC TWO regions as far as I know.

As for a BBC TWO North ident before The Super League Show, I think it may go out in more than one region (possibly BBC North and North East & Cumbria - maybe our Northern viewers can actually help.) if not then they obviously choose not to show a regional ident.

Newer posts