TV Home Forum

ITV Digital Exclusive

(June 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Isonstine Founding member
The Scottish Media Group don't really want to promote themselves as a part of the generic ITV.

There is no ITV logo on their idents and they try their best to take out the ITV name when its not needed.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
What's the problem ? Are they just being snobbish ? If I was controller of ITV I would be insisting on some generic branding in Scotland. They have ITV News, ITV Sport, ITV Weather, ITV Drama, ITV Movies after all.
CA
cat
To answer Asa's question first.
I think it is simply the decision of the people at the Newscentre how fast news is broken.
They are the people in charge of breaking it and I suppose they are simply trying to maintain a reputation for accuracy, but therefore this gets rid of the drama of a news channel... breaking news.
You read (if you got that far) in the Fox News thread that CNN was the Crisis News Network, and this is true, people turn to networks for live coverage of breaking news, if they get this sorted then they will improve ten fold, but with the Sky News relaunch imminent, who knows what Sky have up their sleve!

On the ITV question, SMG and UTV are fiercly independant stations.
SMG and UTV both said they may well get their news from Sky, this was before the Channel 3 News thing, if better relations with ITV and ITN were not established.

ITV should not be generic in my opinion.
BBC One is not considered to have the 'local' feel, and there is a distinct local feel about ITV stations that cannot be matched by any other channel, the idea that this station is broadcasting near to you, and that it is 'your' station is still a firm issue, and personally I think that 'ONE' ITV is the wrong way to go.
Granada were very good at this type of broadcasting, you always knew it was coming from Manchester and you could feel at ease with the fact that there were on-screen announcers that you knew.
I was watching an old tape of Granada coverage the other day and concluded that this 'local' feel was much better than the current 'Managed from London' culture we have at the moment.
ITV should stand out as the local station, this is one of its main strengths and I think that generic branding is the wrong way to go personally.
IS
Isonstine Founding member
I agree! I'm all for regionality so that your local ITV company can say that it is truly local because it has experience of broadcasting to that area!

I take a bit of a Tory regarding Europe issue here.

'We should be a part of the ITV network, not run by ITV!'

Also, before anyone says, I know ITV is not an actual company!!! ITV is the local independent companies all together!
AL
alekf
Hymagumba posted:
How many people think that the BBC should break news stories on News24 and world when they hear about them but mention that they havn't been confirmed yet instead of waiting for two independant confirmations

American news networks constantly break uncomfirmmed stories. They, of course say, 'uncomfirmmed reports say...' And usually these 'uncomfirmmed reports' are entitially wrong. Or most of the breaking stories are of things that cameras can get pictures of and then you have the presenters talking nonsense about what we can all see going on on our screens. It's really ridiculous.
HA
harshy Founding member
Isonstine posted:
I agree! I'm all for regionality so that your local ITV company can say that it is truly local because it has experience of broadcasting to that area!

I take a bit of a Tory regarding Europe issue here.

'We should be a part of the ITV network, not run by ITV!'

Also, before anyone says, I know ITV is not an actual company!!! ITV is the local independent companies all together!

I think there is something in HM the Queen's speech regarding ITV.
SU
SpiringUnhacked
cheshirec posted:
this 'local' feel was much better than the current 'Managed from London' culture we have at the moment.
The joint continuity comes from YTV's studios in Leeds, not LWT's in London!
BB
BBCnewsemployee
What's all the fuss about? If you had read the broadcast news on produxion.com, you would already know that ONdigital is definately rebranding to ITV Digital in July (next month!). I doubt that Channel, UTV and SMG are going to be able to stop it.

Close this thread about a non-existant news story!
BB
BBCnewsemployee
Isonstine posted:

P.S. It is a company, The ITV Network limited!!

But I know what you mean.
SU
SpiringUnhacked
BBCnewsemployee posted:
If you had read the broadcast news on http://www.produxion.com
Never heard of that site. Also, I've turned that into a weblink.

Newer posts