TV Home Forum

Programme Announcers

(April 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Steve Founding member
mmm - the plot thickens! Has Granada who also own part of Border now tried to cover announcements for them from Leeds and due to ' technical hitch ' sent the wrong announcement to the wrong area?
Last week in ' granadaland ' we got Tyne Tees weather! PLUS - Granada weather only has voice-overs and is NOT done by the duty announcer. The voice overs are by the same weather presenters who appear IN-VISION for Yorkshire weather!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
I can't believe that about the weather, don't Granada ever have in-vision presenters ? Does Debbie Lindley, YTV Weather Presenter do the voice overs ? From what has been said here you would think that YTV had taken over Granada not the other way round !! Granada sound as if they really need to make some improvements to presentation.
:-(
A former member
square eyes posted:
I can't believe that about the weather, don't Granada ever have in-vision presenters ?  Does Debbie Lindley, YTV Weather Presenter do the voice overs ? From what has been said here you would think that YTV had taken over Granada not the other way round !! Granada sound as if they really need to make some improvements to presentation.

That was my point exactly in another thread, and guess what Granada are getting next week? That's right, new look news and inevitably new look weather as well. I can't believe that about the weather presenters either! Maybe we will finally get our own next week, seeing as every other region has them (I think).

And presentation-wise, I think that awful is too good a word for Granada Weather. Granada, are you listening?
CA
cat
Actually, just to point this out, the Granada weather map is a very awkward one to do invision.
and don't say they manage it on NWT because they don't. Granada have north wales to cover as well.
So if they did do in-vision weather then they would have the presenter forever moving about all over the place.
And just because they are getting new look news, don't take it as a guarentee that the weather will change as well.
Weather is managed from Leeds, and hence, may not change at all. the Granada News is obviously managed from Manchester.
Of course, I would expect it will re-launch, but by no means should you expect invision weather. It has never happened before, and may well never happen!
And the reason all the continuity announcments are done from Leeds is because of the fact that the main graphics centre for GMG is in Leeds. and when they expanded the centre they added more facilities, hence everything is done from Leeds. Both weather and continuity.
Indeed, there was great upset in Manchester when the Granada continuity announcers were sacked, with all of the continuity now being done by YTV people.
And all GMG north stations have the same weather people.
So Granada will not get it's own personal presenters, as that would not make financial sense.
And lots of other stations have people doing things away from the regional centres. Westcountry have some announcements (I think most now they are owned by Carlton) done from London, Central now have them via london too.
I think Anglia might be london or Southampton, not sure, will check.
A former member
Yeah, you're right. We won't get in-vision weather presenters probably. The weather should get a bit of a revamp though, because it currently has the same look as the news and the last two relaunches, both have changed at the same time.

But how much does it cost for Granada to employ a few extra people? I know that Tyne Tees also have their own weather presenters, so why shouldn't we? Stingy gits!
A former member
Also, does anyone know what happens with Border? Do they have all of their own announcers? Also, what are their weather and news graphics like? (I know it's a bit off-topic, but I've always wondered!)
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
cheshirec posted:
Actually, just to point this out, the Granada weather map is a very awkward one to do invision.
and don't say they manage it on NWT because they don't. Granada have north wales to cover as well.
So if they did do in-vision weather then they would have the presenter forever moving about all over the place.

That is such a lame excuse, with today's technologies available why don't they just zoom in on different areas. And why can't they have the presenter stood on the right hand side as opposed to the traditional left hand side ?
DA
Davidjb Founding member
Do carlton central and carlton westcountry have the same ident played on both channels at the same time????

Newer posts