TV Home Forum

Programme Announcers

(April 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Do Granada, YTV & TTTV all have the same programme announcers on all 3 channels at the same time ? I've noticed that they hardly ever mention the name of the channel unless it's before a regional programme.
ST
Steve Founding member
YIPEE!! Someone else as confused as me! I think they do cover all 3 stations. Only before a regional programme do they mention the relevant station. Somehow ( magic ? ) they can cover 3 seperate regional programmes. But, do they broadcast from Manchester - being the HQ of Granada who own YTV and TTTV ?????
JA
JAM
As Far as I Know Granda's Presentation is done from Manchester but both Tyne Tees and Yorkshire's presentation is from Leeds except when there's a regional variation on Tyne Tees. I think this is because Yorkshire took over TT before Granada bought Yorkshire. It seems that Granada leaves it's purchases to look after themselves- I saw a job advert for Yorkshire-Tyne Tees Television (part of the Granada Media Group the other day).
:-(
A former member
BUT...
I've heard them recently say 'This is Granada' before non-regional programs, and it was a bloke I've not heard before.

Also, I don't think that the announcements are done from Manchester, because the Granada announcers seemed to disappear when they used the same for all three. You 'd think that they would have used Granada ones for all three regions.
AS
Asa Admin
All the announcements are done from the YTV studios in Leeds. YTV and TTTV get recorded versions before their local shows (or where their ITV region is mentioned) and Granada get the live version. The announcer records each junction shortly beforehand.

Cheers,
Asa
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
If they do use the same announcers for all 3 stations, I think they must be the yorkshire ones because there seems to be continuity in the announcers whether announcing networked or regional programmes.
ST
Steve Founding member
Mmm - pehaps you are right. They don't have distinctive voices. Although, one of the female announcers has done promos for Shop! ( TV shopping in Liverpool ) and anotherone for Wellbeing ( new satellite station owned by Granada and has live programmes from manchester ).
I also heard some bod say ' Now on Granada ' last Saturday - introducing ' Blind Date ' ( not that I watch it of course !!! )
ST
Steve Founding member
ASA - Thanks!! I have contacted Granada several times about this and not one reply! Does this mean they also cover ITV Nightime from Leeds as in Granada region they are again the same announcers ( but presume recorded announcements are made for that time of night ).
JA
JAM
I know this is going slightly O/T but someone mentioned an announcer from Granada doing a promo for Shop! Is Shop! owned by Granada?
AN
Andrew Founding member
HI
Adding to this thread, They also stagger the start of regional programmes, such as:

Sundays:
6:01:00 - Now on Granada, all the weekend's football action from around the North West in Soccer Sunday

6:01:15 - Now on Yorkshire, John Shires with a round up of all the weekend's football action in Goals on Sunday

6:01:30 - A round up of sport in the North East, now on Tyne Tees in Cafe Sport.

Also, the same announcers are used throughout, 2 shifts a day, one work's 9.25am-5.05pm, the other 5.30pm-12.35pm
you've got
Maggie 'ITV in the heart of your region'
Male voice 'Now the news, from the region'
plus the Newish other male and another 1 or 2 females.

And also the entertaining male who does most regional promotions 'On Yorkshirrrr'
DA
Davidjb Founding member
Are the BBC ONE + TWO idents prerecorded or live (national idents that is)????
AS
Asa Admin
BBC One and Two are definitely live - just in case of breakdowns etc..

BBC Choice and Knowledge and the UKTV channels are all pre-recorded and in the case of PlayUK, used over and over and over again!

Cheers,
Asa

Newer posts