TV Home Forum

BBC Radio jingles

(August 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
RW
I'll try to upload the current Southern Counties Radio news jingle, and the old one which was far better, but it's probably going to take me at least half an hour!
AN
Andrew Founding member
cheshirec posted:
It would be nice if people could record the jingles at nine?
I'll record the BBC R. Merseyside one and upload it. It isn't often we hear decent quality radio jingles. I know this is a TV forum - but the topic is related.

I wasn't listening, but at 9, the BBC Radio Leeds jingle would have been thus...
Look North music - Across Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and the North Midlands, this is BBC North News at 9 o'clock with ?
AN
Andrew Founding member
If anyone wants to hear what BBC Radio Leeds sounds like...BBC Radio Leeds
Its not very typical though, because:
a) the presenter was a stand-in
b) the programme name was wrong
c) the 'bed' ran out
d) the second jingle was used in the wrong place
e) the presenter forgot the name of the newsreader
f) the whole thing was a right mess

It is from 6pm I think, but if you hear the end, I can't be too sure!
DA
DAS Founding member
Strangely, BBC Essex have full jingles on their website, but no links. It was by chance I found them. The address is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/essex/jingles.shtml

There are also examples of jingles at the BBC Radio Norhtampton and BBC Radio Sheffield websites. If you go to http://www.marksandler.com/ (I think) you can find full BBC Radio Sheffield jingles.

Also, does anyone live near Manchester? If so, tape the BBC GMR news jingle - I love it!

EDIT: Unfortunately, BBC Essex have removed the jingles - good job I got them before they went!

(Edited by DAS at 9:31 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)
RW
RW
Right, here is the current Southern Counties Radio theme, and here is the much more modern sounding old news theme used from 1996-99.
CA
cat
Listen what Merseyside have been playing out!

http://rain.prohosting.com/~cheshuk/bbcsport.mp3
AN
andyrew Founding member
I used to help out/freelance weekends on BBC SCR (or BBC Radio Sussex & Surrey in those days) around 92/94, and I was really excited when I managed to record the jingles/beds onto DAT Razz: (Originally composed - or at least the BBC Surrey ones were by Simon May of EastEnders theme fame).

Little did I realise that come 2001 the only DAT machines are in the History Museum. So haven't listened to them since Sad .
DY
DaveYorks
BBC Radio Humberside used to have an excellent jingle... I'd love to hear the full version of it that they used to play on the run up to the hour on the breakfast programme (lasted about 40 secs?) although they always used to talk over it until the last 5 seconds and I could never decide whether you could actually hear seagulls at the start!

The one they have now isn't too bad... I just hate the way they talk over the jingle so much... we often get something like...

<Music>
Man: East Yorkshire
Woman: Northern Lincolnshire
Woman: 95.9FM
Man: 1485AM
Woman: BBC Radio Humberside (They always stress the BBC)

Then they'll say the names of the presenters.. for example at Breakfast...
Man: Andy Comfort
<Echo: Andy Comfort> (Sounds like it's being said down a fuzzy phone line)
Woman: Helen Philpot
<Echo: Helen Philpot> (Sounds like it's being said down a fuzzy phone line)
AN
Andrew Founding member
And whilst on the topic of BBC Local Radio.

If you visit Peter Levy's Unofficial website, you can hear the owner of the website playing 'Pontoon' on air with Peter Levy.

The Peter Levy Show

Pontoon is a quiz he does every morning where you can win a Peter Levy Luggage Label or a Peter Levy tea-cosy or something
CA
cat
Andrew posted:
you can win a Peter Levy Luggage Label or a Peter Levy tea-cosy or something

Frankly, I find it disturbing to think that anyone would actually want to win a 'Peter Levy tea-cosy'.
What you get up to in Yorkshire is your own business!

*Note to self:
Never go to Yorkshire
NS
NickyS Founding member
cheshirec posted:
Andrew posted:
you can win a Peter Levy Luggage Label or a Peter Levy tea-cosy or something

Frankly, I find it disturbing to think that anyone would actually want to win a 'Peter Levy tea-cosy'.
What you get up to in Yorkshire is your own business!

*Note to self:
Never go to Yorkshire

I'm with Cheshirec on this one!
BBC Creative Services (under Steve Martin) have been slowly re-branding all the BBC stations. They don't all have the same jingles but they have elements in common.
It's a good idea because it means BBC Local Radio can have national campaigns on the TV and it still be recognisable to listeners etc.
IH
I Hate HTV West
Quote:
I'm with Cheshirec on this one!
BBC Creative Services (under Steve Martin) have been slowly re-branding all the BBC stations. They don't all have the same jingles but they have elements in common.
It's a good idea because it means BBC Local Radio can have national campaigns on the TV and it still be recognisable to listeners etc.

Did I not make that point a page and a half ago Smile Lol - just kidding ...

I could have swore I put the Wiltshire Sound jingle package on their website ages ago ... but I obviously didn't - the only one I can find is their sport one, which is a Steve Martin production ...

Along with some great commentary clips - listen to the Jimmy Glass one from Radio Cumbria!

Listen here

It's worth it!

Newer posts