TV Home Forum

ITN Under fire?

(July 2001)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stoo
I read on BBC Ceefax that ITN are to be replaced by a company called `Channel 3 News`(Sounds like Channel 3 North East,maybe it will go the same way)are a contender in the franchise changes,or something.Can anybody confirm it?

Stu
ST
stickguy
Channel 3 News is a consortium of BSkyB, Chrysalis, Bloomberg, CBS, and Ulster Television that hopes to replace ITN, as the ITV News contract comes up for renewal this fall. The contract hasn't been awarded yet, but the bidding closed today - and C3N's bid is thought to be much lower than that of ITN.

(Edited by stickguy at 2:58 pm on July 31, 2001)
JA
Jamez
stickguy posted:
...comes up for renewal this fall.

(Edited by stickguy at 2:58 pm on July 31, 2001)

Hah!

Here in the Islands of St George we say 'Autumn'...but your an international TV Homer, so you may be excused! Wink
:-(
A former member
OT:

But of course, as you know James, it was the English speaking people of the British Isles that took the word 'fall' to the Americas in the first place.

It is just that over time, British English speakers have adopted 'autumn' whereas American/Canadian English speakers continue to use the original word.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Jamez posted:
Here in the Islands of St George we say 'Autumn'...but your an international TV Homer, so you may be excused! Wink

'scuse me? i think you'll find that St Andrew can kick St George's butt.

Cool

(Edited by Gavin Scott at 6:10 pm on July 31, 2001)
CA
cat
Yep, and we've nicked many a French and German word.
And of course our language is made up of plenty of Latin vairants.

ITV are cost cutting on news at the moment although I'd doubt they'd go for C3N.
The most amusing thing is that i've seen the good old Consumer Association (who I persist no totally nothing about anything!), have today come out and said how awful it is that Murdoch would have a share in it.

They've clearly missed the fact that this would bring a 3rd source of independent news to the average UK person, without digital telly.

At the moment we only have two news sources in terrestrial TV. The BBC and ITN. That really is pathetic!

I don't care who owns it but it would bring another source of news to the UK.

ITN already have too much of a monopoly on news. Especially on TV.
JA
Jamez
Gavin Scott posted:
Jamez posted:

'scuse me? i think you'll find that St Andrew can kick St George's butt.

Cool

(Edited by Gavin Scott at 6:10 pm on July 31, 2001)

hehehe - well speaking as a welsh person, I should be supporting good ol' St David - but I cant remember what he did (except there's a cathederal dedicated to him about 20 miles north of me Smile)

Newer posts